Landon Donovan doesn't get the respect he's earned from U.S. fans on Bigsoccer

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by pokemoncards, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Re: Landon Donovan threads go over the top several different ways

Well, when one signs a contract for lots and lots of money, that's EXACTLY what one should expect. When one makes boatloads of money, one can easily pay for whatever counselling and/or medication to treat any purported "depression" that may come up. [BTW, where does this whole idea of "depression" come from anyway? Do you have any evidence that "depression" did occur in Donovan, or are you speculating here?]

Yes, Donovan is a fine player. But he DID seek to get out of a contract that he signed. [Unless someone held a gun to his head and forced him to sign; Do you have any evidence to this effect?] And he DID appear to want to end this contract only upon encountering some difficulties in his chosen profession.

By any measure, choosing to end a contract that pays plenty of cash, gives opportunties for travel, for fame, and to test oneself against the best in the profession IS a character flaw.

Is it unfair to report both the positive AND the negative about Donovan? To some posters, perhaps. But, once again, Donovan is a fine player who also asked out of a contract.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If you define the "future of US soccer" as MLS, then sure. If you define it as the national team, then this is absurd, as well as beside the point. If going to BL would make LD a 10 or 20 % better player (and I'm not saying it would) it would do more for the US national team than him staying in LA or the US.

Obviously, it depends what you mean by "building" MLS but there are plenty of good WC teams with mediocre or small domestic leagues. And the more Americans playing in Europe, the more spots for young Americans on the field in MLS. The Grabavoys and Hercules tend to get pushed aside by the LDs and Kirovskis of the world.

Now if you believe that MLS will fold or shrink without a face like LD to sell it, then he is more important at home. I'm not so sure LD sells that many tix in and of himself, but I've not looked at the numbers. Maybe MLS can't live without him, in which case you're right. The use needs an MLS, but it doesn't need it's best players in MLS.

3. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many good inteligent agruements have been made before, thing is nobody lsitens to them, so if a little ball busting is the only thing that will get your attention so be it I have wasted so much time trying to have an itelligent conversation on these boards its retarded. Your post didn't deserve one.

If you want to debate WHY he decided to do what he did fine. But when you start saying he "let you down" because he didn't want to be in Germany you do sound gay..and I will call you out on it.

4. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I don't understand this whole idea that players are the ones that are "building MLS." I wonder if players from the early '90s [the dark ages of soccer] would have liked to be able to play "at home," as the players of today can do...

I wonder exactly what would Donovan do for a living if the billionaires club that is the group of I/Os suddenly decided to close shop:

Would he play in a lower league in a part-time position for crap pay? Would he take a position coaching the U-17 girls team in a big youth club? Would he make these sacrifices, so he can stay at home with his girlfriend and family? [I doubt it...]

Or would he try to cash in somewhere across the pond?

Here's a sad truth: Uncle Phil, Uncle Lamar, Dave Checketts, and any of the other I/Os carry more importance to "building MLS" than all of the players, past or present COMBINED. Period, end of story. If Donovan suffered a career-ending injury tomorrow, we'd be disappointed, but MLS would continue to operate. OTOH, if Uncle Phil decided he's tired of subsidizing MLS and wants out, MLS is nothing but a memory for all of us.

5. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am not a psychologist, but he has said he wasn't happy there...if that arises to a level of depression is forthe professionals to decide.

How so?

So what does signing a contract that pays even more cash, gives opportunities to travel, gaining fame, while being able to live happily do?

Making a career decision that places a greater emphasis on personal happiness over fame and fortune is not a charecter flaw.

6. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road

Well, I would suggest that your suggestion that he would endure "depression" IS a little over the top. This, especially without any evidence thereof. I too am not a psychologist, but from what I understand, depression is a pretty serious condition, with potentially dire circumstances to those who suffer from it.

A contract for a professional athlete is not too unlike any other personal services contract: The player agrees to serve the club in the capacity of a player, in exchange for money, fame, travel, and and the chance to challenge oneself against the best. A contract DOES NOT guarantee "happiness," in fact for many famous people, this is THE COST of fame. [Which is why I wondered about your supposition of so-called "depression."] A contract DOES NOT ask the player to only serve in his capacity as player during good times [READ: during runs of good form], but also during difficult times as well. [READ: injury, poor form, benching, etc...]

In Donovan's case, him attempting to get out of a very lucrative contract due to some difficult times [In his case, purported "homesickness" and ONE poor match] DOES reflect poorly on him. This, inasmuch as his good play in MLS reflects favorably upon him. To report one without the other is not reporting the entire story.

But attempting to get out of a contract [which is the written form of a promise of a player's effort in exchange for money, fame, travel, and the chance to challenge oneself against the best] IS a character flaw. Again, no one forced him to sign, he did so on his own.

7. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's safe to say he can't have a career ending injury tomorrow because he's not playing in the EPL. He very well could have if he finished the season and solicited a transfer.

8. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you have any evidence that he engadged in some bad faith efforts to leave? If you do i can concead to your point. However, all bi-lateral contracts are subject to the mutual agreements of the parties. If one party is not happy with the contract nothing prevents them from apporoaching the other to re-negotiate or even mutually terminating it. Legally of course the said party has no obligation to alter the agreement and can hold other to full perforemance.

Isn't it possible Donovan, Leverkusen, and MLS (all of whom were party in some form or another in this saga) simply re-negotiated the contract? Came to a componsation agreement for terminating the contract? Seems likely, given MLS payed Leverkusen a hefty sum for Donovan.

Its not like LD, refused to play and demanded Leverkusen transfer him or he wouldn't play like Essien or Saha.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

If his personal happiness entails playing against a lesser competition, regardless of money, then he is exhibiting flaws as a footballer.

While I could speculate on his personal relationships, it's not something that of big concern to me. What is a concern is that he is not pushing himself to be the best football palyer he can be and that is detrimental to the USMNT. I don't worry whether he does or doesn't sell a few extra MLS tickets and gear to justify his salary. That's the dollars and cents issue for AEG.

Oh, Superdave, the reason I harp on his play is because in his three matches against the Top 20 FIFA/Elo ranked squads in 2005 - the only three decent opponents for the US in 2005 - he had three stinkers, for a 100% stink rate. Beasley had one stinker and one quality match, missing the England game. Now, in the World Cup, you're not playing the likes of Grenada, Guatemala or El Salvador, so play against top competition is pretty much the only thing that matters right now and on this level Donovan has failed horribly. Thrice. (btw, thanks for misrepresenting my position wrt him, Convey and Beasley)

As a side (footsitter) note, unlike some fans that extoll the LD greatness, I charted his play at Columbus if for no other reasons than to have substantial ammunition against those quoting no longer meaningful stats. (as I recall, no one has argued that his ~ 35% completition vs. Mexico at home was an outstanding performance) I merely suggest that his defenders do the same.

10. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
  11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    and playing in Europe does ZERO to improve MLS and build it into a world-class league.So it cuts both ways. I do not give a rat's arse about the "world's respect".I want to win the WC ,which won't happen until the US league is much stronger.

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the Galaxy demonstrated that in MLS the regular season is almost pointless. :D

Landon is a great player that wants to help American soccer right now. What's wrong with that? He'll get that move to Europe soon enough.

13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen, let him be seen and not heard. I think he is a very good player, I think the time he spent at Bayer Leverkusen hurt his perception, but there is no doubt that he can play. Lets see how he does in Germany at the WC. I just wish people would quit worrying so much about LD though and notice the other star in the making DMB.

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even with the best players in the world MLS is still organized mediocrity. It's not his fault 8 of 12 make the playoffs.

15. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road

I have no more evidence than your supposition of "depression." But, we do have his actions as a guide, which were for him to leave once he had ONE bad match.

Ask yourself this: If you were Bayer, would you be pleased with what Donovan provided in his role as a player? Or would you be underwhelmed by his effort, his professionalism, and his ability to perservere(sp.)? [I'll get back to this in a moment...]

Possible? Sure. Likely? Definitely not, given his pay in MLS is unlikely to approach what he was being paid in Germany...

Didn't he? Isn't him looking to return to MLS shortly after having ONE bad match essentially the same thing? Did this not strip his club of negotiating ability, in terms of finding another buyer other than MLS?

Oh, and about being a professional and persevering(sp.). Suppose Donovan did the exact opposite: He fought through his difficulties, worked hard, improved his play, and fulfilled his contract. Wouldn't he be subject to being admired for his actions? Wouldn't this be tantamount to what others [with lesser talents than Donovan] have done already? [i.e. Convey had a IMO mediocre 2K4 season but a much-improved 2K5; McBride had a mediocre 2K4 with Fulham, but stuck with it and is enjoying a fine 2K5, etc...]

In sum, IF it is fair for a player is to be lauded for being professional, working hard, fighting through difficulties, etc... [As Convey and McBride and Keller and Beasley, and many others have done] It is also fair to be critical for a player being less than professional, and fleeing from difficulties, no matter what a player's "reasons" might be for doing so. [As Donovan did in Germany]

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Europe NFL and Greek basketball do not aspire, realisticall, to be the top.MLS does.That is a HUGE difference,

17. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

I think everyone knows he is a great player, but still "deride" him because he refused to stick it out in Europe. Thats what i think. '

I personally respect him and rate him.

18. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You guys are all ********ing stupid.

The starter of this thread asks "Why doesn't Landon get more respect from US fans."
    Why isn't Landon on more of our "favorite players gay lists

The answer is - who gives a ********.

I can think the player is a complete douchebag, what difference does it make to you?

Posters keep saying that Landon does not owe us anything - its his career.
    Well I don't owe Landon Donovan a damn thing - its my choice.

It appears many fans dislike his "personality". He is a selfish little prick. He screwed over 10,000 Earthquakes fans, to whom he promised his faith. He screwed over Leverkusen with thier investment. The guy is a pansy.

He is a hell of a player - im sure not many people are doubting this.

But why the ******** do you think you have the right, onionsack and others, to tell others that because "they dislike Landon for off-the-field reasons", that they are morons?
    No, sir - you are the moron.

We can pick and choose whom we respect.

If your mother donates a million dollars to charity, but makes the money prostituting herself to Al-Quaeda and their camels, is she "respectable"?
    Up to you, assclowns.

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

you know, the German papers were critical of the coach for not playing Landon more( I was there at the time).The German's were more understanding of Landon than BigSoccer.

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He has a point. Mr. Teal that is.

They can say whatever they want about him. and he did screw over Leverkusen, and San Jose fans.

21. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    "What you gon’ do with all that junk?
    All that junk inside your trunk?
    I’ma get, get, get, get, you drunk,
    Get you love drunk off my camel hump.
    My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump,
    My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely camel humps. (Check it out)

[​IMG]

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    nonsense.He had a clause in his contract that BL agreed to-that he could leave.He used that clause when he saw the coach was not too interested in using him. Fair enough.

23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    After what less than 10 games? I mean sorry if he thinks he is the next Maradonna or something, but he should have been patient, and fought for a chance. Besides, he messed his own chances up anyway with a poor performance against Liverpool. He did it to himself.

Im not disagreeing with hte clause because its official, even though a link would be nice. But how could he see the coach wasnt intrested, when he placed enough faith him him to be the creative influence in a key champions league match?

24. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he did use that clause as was his right. I think BL should have given him more of an opp, but at the same time didn't LD have to earn his way as well? It goes both ways and I don't think that LD put in as honest an effort as he could have. But that is just what I think, I wasn't there for the training sessions, nor did I get to see the matches.

25. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution

RE: Landon this is basically what I agree with. His expierence in Germany changed the whole dynamic of how 'we' view him. Before people might have debated his merits as a player and he would've gotten the normal Bigsoccer Treatment. But the Germany thing ruined it. He DID disapoint us.

For the poster who raged against feeling that people shouldn't expect Donavan to 'owe' us anything. That in so much I agree with. However, part of the thing which makes athletes and athletics so appealing are the notion of overcoming obsticles, besting challenges and pushing oneself to the limit with the understanding that it can only result in the best possible performace there was to offer. There's nothing inherently selfish in being disapointed that our 'Savior' chose not to do that.

We as a nation worship Lance Armstrong not because of the beauty of his sport but because what he's overcome and what he's accomplished. We salivate over movies like Rudy and Hoosiers because they represent underdogs that made a conscious decision not to just give up. Comfortable or not that's exactly what Donavan did. Whether it was too hard or too uncomfortable he quit. He just quit and there's no way or justification for getting around that.