Landon Donovan doesn't get the respect he's earned from U.S. fans on Bigsoccer

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by pokemoncards, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    I respect his playing ability. I believe he is one of the USA's best players. But, I think he could be better. He made a choice to play in MLS rather than Europe. If he wants to be the best player he can be, he needs to be playing and practicing with the best--that means Europe. You yourself note that he dominated the MLS playoffs. How much improvement in his game will there be when he is already able to dominate his MLS peers? I don't begrudge him for making whatever decision he wants to, but it doesn't mean I have to put him on my favorite player list either.

2. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    The couple games I saw him play as a sub in the Bundesliga he did fine. In one instance he seemed to be one of the best players out there.

Well, no Euro team will be molding their team around Donovan. Good teams know how to incorporate a player's strengths into the team. He can still play plenty of places, if he's interested he'll get lots of offers, I think the hometown spin will be gone after this summer and maybe next January he goes to Europe...AGAIN. :D Maybe not Germany though. England, Holland...

all total speculation of course

3. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    What else does he have to do to be considered our best player? He's already been player of the year 3 times, and lead in scoring and assists the past two years. Going to Europe would increase his international prestige, and maybe the U.S.A's in return. But in terms of actually helping the team? He wouldn't be at the January Camp, if he wasn't in MLS. He wouldn't be able to play in as many games. He wouldn't be one of the faces of MLS. I think he's contributing more to U.S. Soccer by staying in the U.S. People think he needs to goto Europe to prove himself, but hasn't he already proven himself?

4. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    jumping over the moon might help

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of the criticism would have been muted had he simply hung on for a couple more months and finished the season. At least then he could say he gave it a fair shot.

6. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Landon Donovan has done soo much for American soccer and the USMNT that gets overlooked. Yes, I would have liked to see Landon succeed in Europe , but he didnt, and thats too bad. If he was not happy playing in a smoggy, industrial city in Germany, rather than sit around and be sad about it , he came home to where he grew up ( my home city actually ) and played in the MLS , where he was able to bring a championship to LA. Landon might not have given it his all in Germany , but he came back and is now helping MLS grow. I like to see US players succeed in Europe , but if they can play week in and week out and brings new fans out to games for MLS , i think thats just great. I don't think anyone doubts Landon for next summer. He is older and more mature now , and I think he will put on a great show in Germany .

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    But I don't recall this thread asking whether he "could be better."

I think the point this thread was trying to make is that he's still pretty good.

8. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    You need to re-read the original post.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's compare Landon to Eddie Pope. There's another guy who clearly outgrew MLS. But he chose to stay here, for some of the same reasons as Landon.

1. He continued to improve and was fantastic in Japorea.
    2. Nobody hates Pope. Pope isn't good enough now, but nobody makes it an issue of his character. They simply recognize that time and injuries have robbed him of the talent that made him an international defender. (And IMO, at his peak, he could have made the squad of just about any nation in the world. But alas, those days are over.)

My point?

1. Yes, he can continue to get better in MLS. Not saying he WILL, but he can. Pope did.
    2. While it was nothing like it is now, Landon was pretty reviled by some posters, and underrated by others, before he went back to Germany. I think that because he's an offensive player, people have more of a vicarious need for him to earn respect for US soccer than they had for Pope.

10. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    Am I the only person without one of these "fave player lists"? I feel like I am now really far behind.

11. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody here thinks he sucks. We critcize him for his choice and letting us down. He is one of our best players but he just did not make every sacrifice he could to make himself better , which would make us better. McBride could have used his kids as an excuse and not play in Europe. He knew and BA knew playing in England would make himself a better player. DMB could of continued to play in the US, but he decided to go to a foreign country and play in stadiums that made monkey noises when he touched the ball. They pushed their comfort zone and are better for it. Them getting better makes us better. LD chose to the MLS better but not himself or the National team. At least he's comfortable.

12. Bailamos

Bailamos New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    "letting you down?"
    the argument here that Landon got worse by going to MLS is way weak.
    top scorer for the national team this year.
    tops in assists.
    you somehow assume he'd be even better if he stayed in Germany? in fact, all the evidence shows he plays badly when he doesn't get practice in games and when he's unhappy.
    he got comfortable because that's how he plays better. so going to MLS helped the national team.

13. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG, what are you gay? Why do all of you jerk offs want to live vicariously through Landon Donovan!! How did he let YOU down, did he OWE you something?

So let me get this straight. He should have went to Germany, risk his relationship that is obviously very important to him, live somewhere he doesn't want to be, and suffer whatever depression all so he can make some internet idiot fan proud.

Get a ********ing life.

Why dont you give us a list of your life choices in your profession so we can critisize them.

Edit: Sorry for the blow up, but this crap about Donovan owing soccer fans something at the expense of his personal life is getting ridiculous.

14. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did I say he got weaker by staying in the MLS? No, his ceiling will not be as high as if he played in Europe. I guess I could of gotten smarter if I would have stayed in high school. Humans improve by being put in uncomfortable situations. Athletes improve psychologically and physiologically by being put in uncomfortable situations. I suggest you and LD read Flow:The Psychology of the Optimal Experience by Czicksentmihali. Ironically, he's Czech.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    OK, point taken, but it's clearly not the topic of the thread, which is in the subject line.

And maybe I'm grafting my impression from previous threads, but the thing is, I hear a lot of people say "I respect his ability, but he could be better" and then, when analyzing his play, show they're really only focused on the second phrase.

On that, you guys made your point long ago. Although it can't be fully proven, most agree with it at some level or another, and the few who don't are irredeemable.

The only interesting question left is whether it's possible to move on, to appreciate Landon for what he is and forget about what we think he could have been. I'd suggest the tone of most responses suggests the answer is "no."

16. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Dude can play in my Sunday co-ed beer league for all I care as long as he brings it when it counts, every 4 years.

17. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course that is a theory, and one some psychologists disagree with. The theory examined why some people received happiness from leisure activities, while others are content in boring work situations. The thoery believes that by creating a flow, one can make work and other "intellectual" style tasks more enjoyable. Thus, we can stop using our energies on leisure activites (like posting on this website or watching soccer on TV). The most common criticism is that the theory fails to accurately identify and assess basic needs and comforts. (which is a major issue for Donovan). As for living overseas and comfort, as someone whose career can only take place overseas, it is too much for some people and they do return home. Life abroad is not for everyone. I know a few American soccer fans will not want to accept this, as we all tend to follow a sport that is primarily played overseas, but living overseas is not easy for everyone.

18. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what a good, intelligent argumenative post looks like. Take note big soccer posters, "what, are you gay?" is not a good argument for a post you don't agree with.

19. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a fabulous player, but... a complete dork. ever see those spots for ESPN?they're horrible!

i think he's one of those -should be seen and not heard- players. :)

seriously, every player will get their props and be ragged on in this forum. it's what we do.

20. nydeacon1980

nydeacon1980 New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    LD is the best US player maybe ever at his age.

However no one can argue that Europe has better talent and club teams. So yes LD would improve more in Europe provided he gets PT. .....not true at BL

As another poster said BL was not a good fit for whatever reason so LD did the right thing coming back to MLS. But I agree LD will go abroad again maybe not Germany.

Dont forget it is not just a players improvement, it would be better for LD financially if successful he would double or triple his income at least. I am sure LD could appreciate another million. Cant make UK.... california weather but he could take his girlfriend to Europe and his family can get on an airplane. So the homesick at 23 is not a good excuse.

21. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Bob, and the post was really less of a criticism of your posts or the theory (I really don't know enough about the book, but have read parts of it in individual studies). I just wanted to make sure people understood what the theory was and what one of its most common critiscisms is.

As for Donovan, I do believe he limits his abilitity to grow by not playing against the highest competition. However, I also think that an unahppy employee is not a productive employee. If Donovan was that unhappy in Germany, it could have actually limited his development more than MLS. I do hope he makes the jump to a larger league eventually, but it is his decision. As I stated in my prior post, living overseas is difficult for many people. Just because another player or even a poster on here can do it, does not mean their experience is comparable to anotehr persons. The lack of long time friends, family, and even familiar brand names in grocery stores can actually wreck havoc on some poeople's psyches, and make living abroad a miserable experience.

Thanks again for the kind words.

22. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a chapter in the book which talks about athletes and competition. The premise is an athlete improves when playing against competition equal or slightly above their own abilities. At the time of the event it is extremely stressful but, it ends up being an enjoyable and rewarding experience.

23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    THANK YOU...

24. mikeivan

mikeivan Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I am confused by this. Many seem to want this guy to leave the US. Don't you want to watch him play in the MLS? Don't you want the MLS to grow into a "world class league"? I hope he stays, I hope Freddy stays, I hope Tim Howard comes back. Go Houston.

25. nydeacon1980

nydeacon1980 New Member

Feb 4, 2005

This is the same as saying I want a great player to stay and build NFL Europe instead of jumping to the NFL.

Or playing basketball in Greece instead of the NBA

I am American and love the MLS but there is that much difference in MLS and EPL