Landon Donovan doesn't get the respect he's earned from U.S. fans on Bigsoccer

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by pokemoncards, Dec 30, 2005.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    its not sad... i understand atleat where your coming from in your point. As well as him, but i just find it funny that you guys went so far without even being on the same page.

2. Slingerfan1977

Slingerfan1977 New Member

Sep 6, 2005
    The debate wasn't about whether LD "had" to come to MLS or about any rule that a player "must" be playing first team ball. Still Kickin's post that you responded to with your Lewis/Hejduk comparison didn't mention this "rule", I never brought up this "rule". So if your whole contention is this "rule" then you are arguing with yourself. No one has ever even posted a link to "Arena's rule", I'm pretty sure it's just a BS myth. You've been on here much more than I have, you should know this better than I do.

It's clear that Donovan needed to prove himself beyond the BL reserves to make the 02 world cup team, this is the clear issue, go back and read the post you originally responded to with your Lewis/Hejduk comparison and his follow up post. It's not about any silly, unproven "rule". Could Donovan have still made the team if he stayed in Germany? He probably could have, but it would have been much more difficult; less callups, less camps, he would not have been as visable or available playing in BL's reserves as playing in MLS. Who knows if this was even a big reason for him coming back the the states, but without a doubt it was easier to make the WC team playing here than playing in the BL reserves.

Again the difference in situations is that Lewis and Hejduk were proven players under Arena and Donovan wasn't. Donovan needed to prove himself to Arena to make the team. It was easier to do this playing in MLS. That's it.

I'm pretty sure you know this "rule" was never a real issue but just felt like arguing about it, whatever, this did pass some time while we were "working".

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wow, the snit patrol blitzes. I've overwhelmed by the snit.

Do I have to go back and find the post in this thread that mentions the alleged Arena quote?

Do I have to retype the part where I stated I didn't think it was true either.

But, as you note, it has been bandied around as conventional wisdom and given as a reason LD "had to" come to MLS. I don't buy it. Lewis and Heydude didn't "have to" come back. LD upped his chances by coming back, perhaps. But he didn't "have to."

And still, after all these posts, nobody out there will posit the wonderful USMNT striker/middie who would have stolen LD's spot had he stayed in Bayern. Amazing, that.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    this thread/pissfest is begging for euthaniasia.Can someone do the humane thing and lock it?

5. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who is smart is no longer reading this thread, but just the same...

For those of you who were dissing LDs work ethic, there is a thread called "Beep Test" you should check out. Either that, or just follow this link and watch the video:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/home/default3.sps?iType=8239

6. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the fact that he is in MLS prevents him from getting the respect some think he deserves, but not for obvious reasons...

As a devoted fan of DC United, I basically have to spend at least the 180 minutes a year he's runing around RFK hating him (and if he has occasion to "catch butterflies" in RFK, really hating him).

That doesn't happen with any other player that could even remotely be considered the USA's best player.

Now if I was a supporter of any team in the West, it would be twice as bad... and if I was a Chivas fan...? Well, I'd probably just kill myself.

7. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True , but me being a galaxy fan, I love to go out and watch him play right in front of my eyes, and I love every minute of it . I'm glad hes back..

8. congo2

congo2 New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    I'm sure he did well on his beep test in germany too. The fact of the matter is he quit in Germany and came back to the MLS which is no where near the level of the top leagues in Europe. I had a lot of respect for him up until that time. Is he very good?, of course, is he one of the top in the world? nope. He needs to prove himself overseas if he wants to become what people in the US think he already is.

Kasey Keller has always stated: why play in America when you can try to play against the best in the world on a regular basis.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    and thinking like that will prevent MLS from ever being top.And the USA from ever winning the World Cup.

10. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was responding to specific posts in this thread saying that LD had a lousy work ethic, or that he was lazy.

Just for the record I agree that he is very good, but not one of the top in the world. On the other hand I don't think he needs to "prove himself overseas" (or at least in an overseas league) to become one of the best. An excellent world cup would do that. I expect him to have a good solid world cup and be a leader for the USMNT, and I would love it if he were a top 11 (like Reyna in '02), but I would not be shocked if he were "just" one of the better players there, as opposed to a world-beater.

Would playing in Europe have changed that? With the right set of circumstances it might have, but I don't think the BL situation was "the right set of circumstances."

11. Bailamos

Bailamos New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    That's funny. Keller stated when he won player of the year that he'd like to come back to MLS to play.

"I've stated, since my first contract in Europe, that I've always wanted to come home and finish my career in America. It will be sooner or later. We'll see. I still have as my goal that I want to finish my career in MLS."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=352191&root=us&cc=5901

Do you have a link to where he stated what you said?

12. dberg077

dberg077 Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I going to have to call "Bullsh*it" on this one.

How about the Selecao in Brasil or the Argentinian league? I don't think you can just put the leagues of Europe at the top alone anymore, since many of their stars (Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, and many, many more) come from South America.

Having watched both the Selecao and the Premier League, I hate to tell you but there is not a lot of difference in the level of play. And Sao Paolo did win the FIFA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP!!

At least some of our guys should consider Brazil or Argentina if not Europe. Oh, and you may have noticed, the team that has won the MOST WORLD CUPS in recent times is from South America---NOT, get that--NOT From Europe!! You know, Brazil!!

13. congo2

congo2 New Member

Jan 31, 2005

You are correct. I should have added to that statement, he has always stated he wanted to end his career in the US. He would come back here on the downside of his career ala Zenga.
    He has stated this stuff off & on since he went overseas in 91.

14. elbita

elbita New Member

May 4, 2005
    London

i agree with the main point of your post, but brazil winning the world cup doesn't help your argument since most if not all of their starters play in european leagues.
    i'd like to see more americans try the mexican league. there might be some non-soccer reasons why it might not work so well, but it might benefit some of our guys to experience the style of that league.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  16. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States