Landon back to Everton? Yes, it's confirmed.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I don't disagree, but that's a big part of their attacking package and that's exactly what they like him there for. Switching Lennon for Donovan would change the chemistry of what's currently working for them quite dramatically.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Who would ever have guessed that this thread would push through the 1000-post barrier?

3. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you're saying in that with Lennon the Spurs go with a speedy attack on the wings. However Lennon is injured very often, and none of his backups are in the same mold. Kranjcar has been the guy when Lennon is out (particularly in the last several games), and Spurs have looked just as good. Kranjcar is slow as molasses.

I guess my point is, Spurs don't have to go with a speed attack, and I'm sure that if Harry or his successor got time to look at Donovan in practice, he would change his lineup and the teams wingplay to accommodate him.

The reason Spurs are looking at players like Hazard (who is also a more technical and creative player than Lennon) is because they know they can improve their wing play.

4. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW I think those who don't watch Spurs often, but saw Lennon in the Everton-Spurs match, may think that is how Lennon plays all of the time. I would say his play in the first half of that game (prior to the goal), where he was essentially invisible, can be just as indicative of his play as his second half.

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Oh totally. He's a pretty one-dimensional player, and one-dimensional players whose one dimension is strong enough for that level have a way of either dictating play or disappearing.

I was actually thinking of Kranjcar specifically when thinking of how/where Donovan would fit for arguments' sake (purely for arguments' sake as I just don't see this one happening). Kranjcar and Donovan on the surface of it seem like the two most dissimilar players in the world (one's about the same size as Dempsey but slow, the other has been known for most of his career for his jets). But I've long said that there's a similarity in the way they think the attack. (Several years ago I used to watch Kranjcar in Zagreb for club and country.) They've always reminded me a little bit of each other, despite some major differences.

6. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they have a good midfield now, but it is likely that Bale and Modric will be leaving this summer. 30 years old for an American midfielder is not that old. LD does not have that many miles on him. Not many people think that Giggs is old. LD and Giggs are very similar players.

7. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind if Landon was a squad player at a bigger club like a Park at Man U. Saves his legs and extends his career a bit, perhaps.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Physically, sure. But how would that affect his sharpness, his mental edge? That's a big question. Some guys can just step in and perform. Others need to work themselves into a groove, and I've always felt like Donovan's more of the "groove" type than the "just jump in and perform" kind of guy that I think Park Ji-Sung is. If you think of his previous stints coming off the bench in the Bundesliga, that just didn't seem to fit him or his mentality anywhere near as well as being a key guy at Everton evidently does. Donovan just seems to thrive when you put him in a position to be a key guy.

(Speaking purely of the mentality, if they were pitchers, you'd want a guy like Park as your closer, and a guy like Donovan as your ace or #2.)

And the only thing I worry about when I think of the hypotheticals of Donovan going back to the Prem permanently this winter is the chance of losing him for the World Cup in Brazil due to injury. The EPL wears bodies down.

9. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    His leaving interview on Everton TV. Free to watch here, you just need to register.

10. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Must spread rep... yada yada yada...

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    In the 2 (?) matches in which Donovan and Pienaar played in the same midfield, I thought Pienaar was significantly more influential than Donovan. How much did Pienaar get to play for Spurs?

For Chelsea, do you really think Donovan will start over Sturridge (even if Sturridge is not English)? I myself would pick Sturridge since he is more capable of beating opponents 1 v. 1, and he scores quite a few goals. He is not exactly slow either.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Covered. Thank you AG! :)

13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind that Pienaar is playing with Baines on the left, and LD with Neville on the right. There is a large difference in that.

14. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very little. He was behind Lennon, VDV, Bale, and even Kranjcar on the depth chart. Three Europa league starts, and an FA Cup start.

15. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Landon is a doubt for tomorrow's gane with flu.

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, crap.

17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know anything about the new Portuguese midfielder?

18. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I'd guess Landon will still be involved, depends how bad he is.

Not a lot other than what I posted on the Everton forum, I think he will be with the reserves to start with unless we are really short as I doubt he is first team ready.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Didn't he get sick right at the end last time, as well?

20. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got an assist at the Azteca when he had swine flu. He'll be fine. ;)

21. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Indeed he did.
    Sick at the thought of leaving? ;)

22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I remember from that game was how one of the El Tri easily beat Donovan to the end line to get a cross in (might have led to a goal - can't remember). At the time I thought how odd it was to see him so easily beaten for pace. Then the swine flu came out and it made a lot of sense.

23. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In England we have man flu. lol

24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Total bummer.

Also - if he is sick, why is he coming back to LA for like 5 days before flying out back to Europe? I'm a Galaxy fan, I get it, but....seems like a needless 18 hours of travel while you have a cold/flu.

25. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U know they do have non-stops to LA from the UK. doesn't take that long.