Landon back to Everton? Yes, it's confirmed.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you remember your Econ 101, you'll note that markets are only efficient on a macro level- there are inefficiencies all over the place on a case-by-case basis. Landon's an example- his price just isn't set by normal (efficient) price mechanics. His existing contract, his intangible value as a poster-boy for one of the league's two flagship programs, etc., all combine to make it very hard for his "price" to clear in the international market.

Think of it this way-- houses are commodities and have fairly efficient pricing on a large scale (they tend to price very closely to the average price per square foot and price per acre of land in the same neighborhood). That said, you can't just walk up to someone living in what is clearly a $250,000 house and be sure that you'll be able to buy it if you offer to write them a $250,000 check. You might not even be able to get in at a ridiculous 10% premium of $275k. Why? The current occupants just might not want to move- there are enormous intangible factors that play into each individual sale. (which makes you realize that the pricing mechanism for housing doesn't establish the market price of all houses, just the market price of houses "for sale"- a big difference).

MLS doesn't really want to sell Landon right now. End of story (until next winter, when they might be ready to sell).

2. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think it's more of a "Landon doesn't want to move" story regardless of the potential income to MLS, Galaxy and LD.

3. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think you are wrong.

4. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I think given the chance Landon would love to stay with the Toffes

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys really think LD wants to leave LA?

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD may well know his physical and mental limit of grey, rainy, beachless days from his Leverkeusen stint(s). Maybe he turns into morose, low energy player if kept out of the sun longer than 10 wks.

7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite possible. The Galaxy will have to be broken up after the 2012 season- they are a salary cap time-bomb waiting to go off. Landon could easily be one of the pieces they move (assuming they can set a price that Everton can afford).

9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And boy is it great timing to bring in their next DP to transition while Becks still has a year left.

Also, if MLS wants to get any money out of him (rather than just resigning him in LA), it MUST be either in summer 2012, or December 2012. After that, he's gone for free, and that's just not smart.

So the question is:
    Sell July/December 2012, or re-sign?

I would think at that point Landon would have enough influence on the asking price, and enough sponsor power, to make the price reasonable at his age. He will be worth less as he will be 30. MLS 30 - which is not the same as EPL 30, but 30 nonetheless.

10. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think it's more and more likely that Landon moves when his contract is up, and it's all got to do with Everton, and a situation in Europe that fits him perfectly, at least on the field (if Moyes is still there)

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many 32 year old wingers in the EPL? I think he needs to move now if there is any way to swing it....

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real question is how many wingers will be better than an early 30's landon donovan? I'll say not too many.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  14. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Straight from the man himself:
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7571973&categoryid=2731137

a) The Galaxy made it clear he was expected back (i.e. CCL)
    b) He very much says he will evaluate when this year is over
    c) He really does love Evertonia and David Moyes

EDIT:
    landondonovan Landon Donovan
    I am under contract to the Galaxy for the next two years. Who knows what the future will bring after that. Don't let headlines mislead you.

15. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Unsurprisingly I believe Landon has won the Everton Player of the Month award for January. The awards lunch is today I think so should be official later.

16. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Big extended version of interview here on ESPN.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Had to make it two in a row...

18. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    Watching him play this year his pace has been less important. He has made good decisions and has combined well with his teammates. I think he would still be valuable at 32 years old especially on a free transfer.

19. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link. Donovan's a great interview.

20. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmed on the official site. It's him. Wow.

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Well done, Landon.

And I do believe he will be back permanently with Everton in December 2012 - I guess technically January 2013....after he's won champions league, US Open Cup, MLS Supporters Shield and another MLS Cup. :D

22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/14/donovan-set-weekend-return-la-training-camp

Landon Donovan's stay with Everton will end one week earlier than originally scheduled.

LA Galaxy coach Bruce Arena told reporters on Tuesday that his team's captain will return to Los Angeles on Sunday, the day after Everton's FA Cup fixture against Blackpool.

"Donovan comes back Sunday," Arena said. "He will be with us for a bit in Tucson before he heads out with the national team."

23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that there was any doubt, but confirmation he's being called-in and he's going.

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If only Everton had any money...