Land+Nation

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by salyal, Dec 4, 2004.

1. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    OK. I'm going to plead some general ignorance over the topic and some kind soul out there can educate me:

Are Arabs living in Israel proper (not the occupied territories) eligible to vote in elections for Israeli parliament? What are the requirements for voter eligibility?

Why is a single state solution seemingly never discussed?

2. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yes, of course. They hold an Israeli passport, and have all the rights of citizenship, minus the requirement to serve in the army. They can vote for whoever they like, and there is also an Arab party represented in the Knesset.
    The Arab party is a bit crazy though.

Because a single state solution would mean an Arab majority and the end of the Jewish state.

3. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    There are at least three Arab parties. And Arabs MKs have also served in both Labor and Likud (though not in large numbers).

A single state solution was discussed a while ago, whereby Jordan would reassert authority over portions of the West Bank. It makes infinite sense. The Palestinians would have much more land, ability to travel, etc. But Palestininian identity is the order of the day, and there's no point trying to deny it now.

Given that the Jordanian option is off the table, forcing Israel to absorb several million members of a belligerent population certainly is.

4. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    The Jordanian solution (Palestinians make up up to 70% of Jordan's population) would be the best for everyone involved.

5. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Here's an example of how I find the issue very frustrating to understand. Article on upcoming Palestinian Authority elections concerning rights of East Jerusalem palestinians to vote in that election:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/501523.html

"Interior Minister Avraham Poraz, who raised the matter for discussion, said that East Jerusalem's Arabs must be allowed to vote in the PA elections since it is intolerable for there to be a large group of people who are not allowed to vote anywhere; they cannot participate in Knesset elections since they are not Israeli citizens. Poraz likened the East Jerusalemites to American citizens living in Israel who have the right to vote in U.S. elections."

versus

"MK Shaul Yahalom (National Religious Party) said there is no doubt that the Arabs of East Jerusalem are Israeli citizens, so there is no reason to allow them to vote in PA elections. That would jeopardize Israeli sovereignty over a united Jerusalem, he said."

Which one of these people is lying?

6. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Except for the Hashemite Royal family.

7. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    a) Do a little revolution
    b) Pay them off.

8. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    The ARabs in East Jerusalem are the only Palestinains who did get the benefit as normal Israeli citizens! One thing that causes a problem is that in future negotiations, there status of being israeli might come up and they may get transfered.
    Its an odd thing, but other than that, they and the 'arab triangle' towns of Umm-El-Farhm, Kfar Kana, Kfar Qassam are the only places in Israel that might go back to the Palestinains in a future peace deal!

9. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Here's how I understand the status of East Jerusalem Arabs. Shortly after 1967, Israel offered citizenship to all residents of East Jerusalem who found themselves under Israeli rule. Those that accepted it are citizens and can vote in Knesset elections. Those that rejected it cannot vote in Knesset elections but can vote in municipal elections.

One of the worst kept secrets during the Camp David negotiations was that several Arabs of East Jerusalem, even those who turned down Israeli citizenship and who strongly identify as "Palestinian", were not exactly thrilled at the prospect of being placed under PNA rule. But that may very well happen if Jerusalem is divided.

As for Israel ceding Umm-El-Fahm and the other towns in the "triangle", I would be shocked if this happens. No one in those towns wants that, even if though they are some of the most pro-Palestinian of the Arabs in Israel. Of course, if they are indeed "Palestinian" then they shouldn't object to being in Palestine (no one would have to move, it's just a question of ceding the territory). But again, despite their complaints, they realize that they will be infinitely better off as Israeli citizens rather than Palestinian citizens.

10. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I think the reason why the 200,000+ Arabs in East Jerusalem got citizenship was from the Jerusalem Municaplity standpoint. They wanted to unite the city, eventhough you could see a thick line between both. All that cuts West Jerusalem and East Jeruslame, is the tunnel :D
    Tourist are warned with 3 brave Israeli....flags not to enter Arab East Jeruasalem..

The benefit that Israeli Citizenship has is endless.....
    From a ticket to Europe, to a chance to go to a picnic in Israel's nature reserves to praying in the Al Aksa mosque...not to mention health care and perhaps some education...

I WANT THOSE TOWNS OUT OF ISRAEL :mad:
    if we can keep or try to keep some settlements, than i would want to give up the triangle! Sides....those arabs who live there are no goodnicks. Shin bet has records on them. Did you know they tried to down a British Airways plane from Ben Gurion in 95? There anti-israeli sentiment hurt the backbone of Israeli society and cooperation between other Israeli and Arabs. Kfar Kana epsecially, got the nick name.....Kfar Kaka!! hehehe

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    This situation is never, ever going to be resolved, at least not in my lifetime. The Israeli/Palestinian situation is one topic that is sure to bring out hard feelings no matter what side you're on. I'm Episcopalian, yet I can't have a conversation with my mother about Israel without a shouting match breaking out.

12. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Your mom is jewish? :confused:

13. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    No, we just don't agree on Israel.

(If she was Jewish, wouldn't that make me Jewish? I mean, according to the Torah?)

14. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    But why would you guys care that much about it? :confused:

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    About Israel, or the fact that I'm not Jewish? I'm confused (not that that should surprise anyone)....

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got into angry arguements about Bosnia, and I'm not even Slavic. People sometimes care about issues, and feel strongly about them.

17. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my solution. Give the new Palestinian president 3 months. If the Intifada continues and no negotiations, simply declare a border, finish the wall, and say good bye and good luck. Try to follow up the recent Egyptian negotiations with negotiations with Jordan for a Jordanian security force on the border.

18. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Might have converted...

Which side do you/her go on?
    maybe i can mediate :D

19. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Nope, no conversions here. We're both firmly planted in the Church of the Motherland.

And there is no way in hell I'm going to say what side I'm on since no matter what I say I'll get flak for it. Since I'm neither Israeli nor Palestinian, my side really shouldn't matter.