"LAFC"...LA2...whatever

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
  2. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Unsurprising. The club he plays for is effectively a Liga MX Mini-Me in denial.

If LAFC were professional wrestler Pete Palaco, they'd be the Justin Credible to Chivas USA's Aldo Montoya.

You can say that isn't really you. You can try to claim it was a mask, but nothing will ever change the fact that you spent time on television with a yellow spray-painted nut-cup on your head.

For any non-nineties-wrestling fans, this will make no sense.

I wonder if Pete is somewhere reading this, thinking "They're comparing me to Chivas USA? That's a bit harsh...".

profiled and Beakmon FC repped this.
  3. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what the point is.

Would you be surprised if Gio said he was pulling for Tigres over Toronto?

And I wasn't a wrestling fan in the 90s, so didn't understand that either.

4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    RSL are either as bad as last year or LAFC is better than anyone gave them credit for.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    *cough*

GalaxyOne repped this.
  6. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't think RSL is very good, but the referees especially the one doing the VAR reviews sucked. It seems as if the instruction to the referees has been to let things go and let the referee on the VAR handle it and then the VAR referees are reluctant to call things that are not clear cut because they aren't "obvious" errors.

In my mind the lack of off side calls turned the game and then RSL started putting in midfielders to replace defenders to get more attacking which opened up the floodgates to LAFC counterattacks.

7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Off topic, but the complete opposite of how it’s being handled in the FA Cup. The last Spurs match was a farce, every goal was reviewed for minutes with goals called back for the tiniest of infractions.

8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a surprising rout for sure. Interesting.

Always have liked bob bradly as a coach.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  9. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They beat RSL like RSL beat us on July 4th last year

GalaxyOne repped this.
  10. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the offside calls were as they should be called. If it's even, let them play on. Then check VAR if a goal is scored. This is exactly how the games SHOULD be called.

11. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was one of the most entertaining, offensive displays of attractive soccer I have seen in MLS in awhile. Shades of the Galaxy from a few years ago. Just toying with the other team and attacking in waves. Offensive onslaught. I'm happy to have two teams to follow this season.

12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m following both but can only support one.

rokstedy, The Cadaver and GalaxyOne repped this.
  13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I agree, that is how it should be call, but the VAR is supposed to get the call correct. Blessing was clearly offside on the goal, that made it 1-2. When LAFC went up by another goal in the 47th minute the RSL coach started pulling defenders and adding midfielders which made RSL much more susceptible to counter attacks and LAFC is very good on the counter.

There were a number of other clearly missed fouls by LAFC that were not called. Bottom line, LAFC was clearly superior but the referees added to RSL's problems.

14. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The VAR (and AR) got the call right in my book. He was level. They were both on the dividing line between the two shades of grass.

I think I remember a few of the missed calls on LAFC that you are talking about. Yes, there was contact, but I remember thinking (both in real time and after replays) that the RSL players went down really easily. They just seemed to be weak and LAFC ran roughshod over them. In fairness, I probably would be pissed if I were an RSL fan after a couple of those non-calls.

15. CakeYear

CakeYear Member

none
    Jun 22, 2007
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    LAFC was a beast offensively today

GalaxyOne repped this.
  16. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the biggest thing with me. It feels like people are doing this out of spite, not as a genuine interest for the growth of soccer in this country. I would love to support two local clubs but there is something in the air about this club/fanbase that rubs me the wrong way.

17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We were a beast offensively in 2014, en route to our 5th MLS Cup.

18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Including destroying RSL by even more goals in the playoffs along the way. Guess it wasn't cool back then. But feel free to jump ship from the winningest team in the league to one that has done nothing because they routed RSL.

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1269 barroldinho, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Frankly, on Sunday I felt like Gio was pulling for Citeh USA over the Galaxy.

The point Sir, was a dig at LAFC for being born out of the remnants of Club Deportivo de Guadalajara's MLS satellite club.

Actually, it amuses me that Carlos Vela feels enough of a connection to Liga MX to route for its clubs, but not enough of one to actually play in it.

Pete Palaco was infamously given the character in WWF "Aldo Motoya - the Portuguese Man O' War".

Vince McMahon envisaged this as a masked high-flyer, but for reasons never made clear, the mask in question was a re-purposed yellow-painted jockstrap. Though Palaco went on to make a name for himself in ECW and later the WWE under the Justin Credible moniker, it was many years before he lived that down and it has become very much a part of wrestling folklore.

profiled repped this.
  20. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If I'd coughed every time the Galaxy had drubbed an opponent in the last decade, I'd have probably been visited by the CDC.

Beakmon FC, napper and TrickHog repped this.
  21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The difference is youd be coughing in the past

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's right. The past. Something your club doesn't have. At least not one you're willing to acknowledge.

You see, unlike you and the rest of the Last Attempt For Chivas clan, I don't have the option of jumping on the bandwagon.

I decided to watch my local team after moving here and developed a legitimate bond and connection with it.

If we never win another trophy or even another game, I'm in for the long haul. That's what supporting a team entails.

I suppose I could base my team on proxomity to downtown and convenient dining options, but that would make for a contrived, diluted experience, which by extension would water down the emotions connected with my support.

That would make future successes of any degree, far less rewarding. Less "authentic" if you will.

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I jumped the bandwaggon like 1-2 years ago before LAFC even had a squad - not talking about the wonderful outstanding record of winning 2 games.

As far as it concerns me it doesnt get more authentic

24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What could be more authentic than jumping on the bandwagon? Or supporting a team that doesn't exist in a city that already has a prominent team?

I guess I could put forth my own support:

Emigrated in 2007, started attending games that year. The Galaxy were horrible and missed the playoffs.

Regardless, I started attending games regularly in 2008. The Galaxy finished with the joint-worst record.

Regardless, I became a full season ticket holder ahead of the 2009 season and have remained so ever since.

So clearly, just using my example alone, it does...
    ;)

luigi-55, rokstedy and L.A. Native repped this.
  25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You cant jump the bandwagon of a club that didnt even exist, genius

Actually trying to out-plastic one in another in a plastic league like MLS completely disqualifies oneself in this regard