LAFC General Discussion

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Football Club' started by Bubba1971, Oct 29, 2014.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Wait... the guy who named himself It's Called... OK...

:x3:

[Dana Carvey]not gonna do it.[/Dana Carvey]

2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name has nothing to do with Washington, D.C., being the capital of the United States. D.C. was chosen because in local speak D.C. is where the neighborhoods are and where the people live whereas Washington is where the government buildings, lobbyist offices and monuments are. United is supposed to symbolize the uniting of the District, suburban Maryland and Northern Virginia behind our team, D.C. United.

3. chockfullofthat

Oct 29, 2012
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Works for me.

tallguy repped this.
  4. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Like I said...nothing wrong with choosing the same name as another (big) international club as long as it makes sense in local context.

I don't really understand why anyone would adopt Sporting Lisboa's name though. I assume the ownership group doesn't have any ties with Portugal!? And it's not actually a high-profile club from an international point of view.

5. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not an overall sexy pick for club name, but I still prefer Los Angeles Aztecs.

I'm also curious about how the ex-Chivas USA fans will accept this team. It's not their own, but it won't have the stentch of El Asesino de Futbol with it, and an alternative to the star-driven Galaxy would be welcomed to those who prefer a more gritty club in LA.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope LAFC quickly decides the name so we can stop having post after post on name suggestions.

7. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    The two main supporter groups Black Army and Union Ultras are already well on board with the new team.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if LAFC will keep the DCU colors?

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a different shade of black and red than what you are used to.

11. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call them "Hollywood United." Seriously. Otherwise, just stick with L.A.F.C.

12. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    #112 Capt.Tsubasa, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    As a nickname, "LA Elephants" rolls nicely of the tongue! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

13. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    This arrived in the mail today:
    [​IMG]
    The sticker is smaller than I had expected, about 3 inches square.

14. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got one also, but what was weird, I only emailed them some stadium suggestion sites, so not sure how they got my home address !

15. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I drove by the old LAPD Parker Center that LAPD moved out of a few years ago. Why not this site ? Couple blocks from the Purple/Red line subway stations (current) and would be only a couple blocks for the new 2nd/Alameda light rail station (5 years though). From that station you will be able to go single train to Long Beach, Santa Monica, ELA and Azusa/Glendora. Plus, like the Sports Arena, a government owned site that should allow some "shortcuts" on some environmental. I know the building leaks, and other hazard problems, but maybe LAFC can demo and take those headaches off the City in trade for bringing yet more people downtown. Walking distance to Little Tokyo, Olivera Street, all the activity on Spring street etc.

16. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    The Parker Center footprint is too small. They would need the entire block and I think the other buildings there are still in use.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think DCU copyrighted the two colors. LA using the colors (hopefully with a little gold) is cool. black for the Black Army and red for the Union Ultras. I hope the kits looks like AC Milan
    [​IMG]

20. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
  21. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be two teams coming in with the exact same color combo in 2017. I really hope that does not come to pass.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sure this has been asked but can someone please explain where the expansion fees go exactly? I mean I know they go to the league but then what? Is the money really distributed evenly among back to all teams? Just curious.....

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sac in the short time of existence have proven, so far, that they can and will support a MLS club.
    MINN having Mini/St Paul as one of the bigger TV markets and fills in more mid west presence in very enticing for the MLS.
    SO far none of the other four major sports leagues has ever expanded to Vegas. Could an MLS team be the first and make it work?
    Miami seems further and further from being a reality. Would Beckham be better to join the LA group where he played his MLS days for the Galaxy? Is/would/could that ever be an option.

Both SAC and MINN seem to have the backing of another major pro sports Brand.
    Having SAC would give the MLS an unprecidented presence on the West coast with seven teams.
    MLB has 6

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know yet how much they will be charged.

Split 20 ways? And if it goes to the teams, by that, we mean the ownership of the teams aka the owners of MLS. This in no way goes back into the salary cap or anything of that nature. Although I am sure it doesn't hurt losses taken on other things.

25. thefishy

thefishy Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Club:
    Real Murcia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    But they did announce their colours. I believe the official answer was "black and red with a gold accent." Black and red like the Falcons, who have the same owners.

As for the meaningless names also mentioned, like the Dodgers and Lakers of LA, Those are names that the teams had that made sense in their original location, before the teams moved. They kept the names for tradition and recognition reasons I imagine. With expansion teams you don't have that argument.