Ladies tryouts - National team coach will be in Newark

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    To all interested in the Portuguese national team Tryouts:

We have received the tryout registration form from participants in the tryouts.

If you do not have a form please request one from alcoutinho@aol.com or caetanosoccer@enterprisesmail.com

It is important that you send us a confirmation for your participation by sending us the REGISTRATION FORM. If it cannot be fully completed at this time you can complete at the tryouts. This form will confirm the participants in order for us to plan our tryout session.

Please read letter of invitation below that was sent last week to many of you:

This shall serve as your official invitation to participate in the tryouts for the Portuguese Women's National Soccer Teams to be held July 9th and 10th in Newark, NJ. Tryouts will be held at NJIT in Newark which has just recently installed a new Field Turf surface and will be run under the direction of Mr. Jose Augusto, the Portuguese Women's National Team Coach.

We ask that you complete the attached registration form and return it via email to either myself or Mr. David Caetano, by no later than Friday, July1st.

The Schedule for the weekend is as follows:

Saturday, July 9th 3:00 P.M. - Pre tryout mandatory meeting at Robert Treat Hotel , 50 Park Place, Newark to discuss program in detail, present organizers and coaching staff, and verify that all documents have been filled out.

Saturday, July 9th 5:00 P..M.-8:00 p.m. - Skills training session at NJIT.

Sunday, July 10th 9:00 A.M.- 12:00 p.m. - Skills training session/small sided games at NJIT. (Please don't make flight reservations before 2p.m. on sunday)

Please be advised that the Robert Treat hotel is the official hotel of these tryouts and has rooms on hold for any interested parties. The Robert Treat Hotel's phone number is 973-622-1000:

a) will provide free airport pick-up and drop off service

b) will provide transportation to training site (5 minutes away)

c) has reserved rooms at a discounted rate of $85/night for both the entire weekend. when calling refer to "Portuguese Women's National Soccer Team Tryouts"

d) is walking distance from large Portuguese District of Newark , known as the "Ironbound".

We remind everyone that to be eligible for this program, you only need one parent or grandparent to have been born in Portugal. Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact US. We look forward to seeing you on the 9th.

Respectfully Yours,

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    We remind everyone that to be eligible for this program, you only need one parent or grandparent to have been born in Portugal. Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact US. We look forward to seeing you on the 9th.

3. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    Yeah! good one, this new! I hope the national women's team of soccer can be better in the next years because of american and canadian women's that would like to play by our country!

Só é pena que, aqui em Portugal, as miudas tenham de jogar em campos pelados, sem grandes apoios ao recrutamento de novas jogadoras e assim...

I see that Jose augusto is making a good job as national coach!

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Nuno Cristovao was also a good coach and he open the doors in the United States, but then was let go, they should had keep him with the youth teams, its got be tough for Jose Augusto to coach all of the three national teams

5. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am not sure I like this...but oh well...

seems to me like Portugal would like to cut some corners and benefit from the talent in the states as opposed to developing it at home...

While children of immigrants deserve the right to play, it kind of seems on the surface like we are hiring "mercenaries" in order to build the program at a much greater pace...

I don't believe Germany, China or Norway did this and they have pretty good Women's NT

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    we are trying at home, but Futsal stole a lot of our young and upcoming players

we are doing the same with Hockey in line, 4 players from out of the country

7. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I guess if there is not enough interest in Portugal it would make sense to let girls that are "Portuguese" play at this level...

I am just not sure if this is the right thing to do...

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    are there any difference between portuguese born in Portugal and portuguese born in Newark, Harrison, Elizabeth or somewhere in Canada?

9. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    I have Mixed feelings regarding this too, but it is a way to incread the level of play in as quick a time as possible. We all know that the best way to increase talent is to play against someone who has more talent or experience.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    some of the teams in Portugal should also invest in the portuguese ladies born out of the country

but how they going to survive a whole season leaving in Portugal without getting any pay for expenses, house rent etc.

11. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    Here we say "O que é demais, é moléstia"... :cool:

I think it is a good plan. See TICHA PENICHEIRO or MARY ANDRADE in Basketball... Because of their entrie in the NT, we, in Portugal (I mean, the basket fans) care about WNBA. And Basketball is now the 2nd most played sport by the girls, following Handball!

The number of teams greew up in Aveiro in the last years. I dont know about the other regions, because I dont follow women's soccer with attention. But if appears 1 or 2 "Stars", it could be great for Portuguese women's soccer!! :cool:

I didn't forget what I said about "campos pelados e sem condições", but here in Portugal we work this way... 1st we win, then government and sponsors appear. :eek:

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    a pelado field is like playing a soccer game in a baseball infield :)

13. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think from this Jose Augusto will probably get 2 or 3 girls that will interest him for the NT; this would actually be a good # IMO. I will be there Saturday afternoon after 5 PM to check it out and possibly get an autograph from Jose Augusto.

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    good, its nice to see www.portugabol.com involve

a few minutes ago I send a email to alcoutinho, but its better if you keep us inform

15. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Foda-se juvey it's not like these girls aren't Portuguese because they were born in the states. You know how Portugal is with women in sports it's a little behind so what if they play catch up. The girls from N.A that are above the talent level in PT will only help the PT girls in the advancement of their play which will lead to more home grown girls with the benefit of playing at a higher skill level which will be passed on.

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I have to agree, any help will be appreciated, I wonder what kind of report his coming from portuguesesoccerdaddy :)

17. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    With so many pretty girls in America and Canada, why dont you make them pave skates? :)

We try to put them run and sweat with a ball, you make them run in skates... good idea! Do we have a deal? :cool:

18. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was present at both sessions, I will give you guys a little report very soon...

19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    hunh? pave skates? you mean skate on ice?

20. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    Well, I prefer pretty girls. If they play with ice skates, inline skates or quad skates, is not important... :D

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol, for me they don't even need to be on skates :D

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

I hope they had a good turn out

23. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So Chop any standouts that look like they could crack the NT, any "Estrelas"?

24. golmirivan

golmirivan New Member

Dec 28, 2001
    east brunswick
    Any blondes?

25. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga