La Manga tournament

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Ed-D, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. jevanvoo

jevanvoo Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Manhattan
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Seattle was the only MLS team actually ENTERED in the tournament, and we were there to play what basically amounts to friendlies against the other competitors? :confused:

3. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually you might be right. The press release was deliberately vague on that, it seems.

4. jevanvoo

jevanvoo Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Manhattan
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. jevanvoo

jevanvoo Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Manhattan
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's an exhibition tournament, but still a tournament with a trophy. Playing teams from outside of MLS will be beneficial for player development

7. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The facility. I posted another thread with the link to the La Manga Club (yes, it's like a country club for soccer.) The Preseason Games thread, I think.

8. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It at the very least gives Soler and Backe a chance to see the players on the pitch for the first time, albeit in friendly competition that will be taking them lightly and looking to stretch their legs. It can't be any worse than losing to the U-18s last year in Florida.

Brian Lewis at NY post has the RB match dates as:

January 24th VS. Russia's CSKA Moscow
    January 27th VS Poland's Lech Poznan
    February 1st VS Norway's Stromgodset

Two thoughts. Hopefully Angel has something else to do other than to subject his perenially bad back to an overseas flight and keep all unsigned rookies back home, no need for Olivier Occean part deux;).

9. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I dont imagine any of the scribes traveling, so I hope redbulls reader gives us some decent updates....lineups, etc....there are going to be 4 or 5 trialists taking part.

as for the rookies, Tchana and da Luz are already signed so I wouldn't worry about the Occean situation poping up.

10. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're NOT in the tournament. We're using the facility to practice and will play a few preseason games while there.

Here's a link on the La Manga Club's website with the schedule, showing, yes, indeed, the Red Bulls are schedule for two friendlies so far.

La Manga Club Football Matches 2010

11. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well tomorrows the first game and I'm quite anxious to see how the team performs in its first preseason game, I'm really rooting for the new guys.

Anyways to recap, Red Bull Reader has covered each day the team that has been in la Manga, Spain.

RBR ON THE ROAD – DAY 2 IN LA MANGA, SPAIN

RBR ON THE ROAD – DAY 3 LA MANGA SPAIN

RBR ON THE ROAD – DAY 4 LA MANGA SPAIN

Good thing is even if we come in last place again our team should be #1 when it comes to MLS Swimming Competition... Well as long as MLS doesn't bend the rules and lets the LA Galaxy draft Michael Phelps :rolleyes:

:D

12. sickofitall

sickofitall New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    swimming is great for keeping the muscles from taking too much stress while still working them. alot of sports outside of swimming use pools for days when the athletes need low impact workouts.

13. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I myself love to swim I was just poking some fun :D

14. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and it saves time. Your players never need to leave the field for a quick trip to the bathroom... :D

15. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ That reminds me of a video I saw of a Goalkeeper taking a leak on the field lol :D

Anyways here's todays update:

RED BULL DRAW WITH CSKA MOSCOW, 1-1, IN PRESEASON OPENER

I'm so excited for this season! Lets go Bulls :cool:

Btw can a MOD merge both the threads about La Manga trip and friendlies, hate having to post the same thing on multiple threads, thanks :)

16. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    next match at La Manga is tomorrow v Lech Poznan.

17. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who didn't know the match was postponed until tomorrow do to weather but the guys got to train today and Woly was there too!

RBR ON THE ROAD: WEDNESDAY IN LA MANGA

Well it seems that Tim Ream is impressing... Perhaps he isn't a bust like someone here would like everyone to think :p

18. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one, from Run DMB, is even better:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1JY7fWNCqc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1JY7fWNCqc[/ame]

19. Godset

Godset New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Club:
    Stromsgodset IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I'm watching your match against Lech Poznan now.. 24 minutes played, 0-0.

20. Godset

Godset New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Club:
    Stromsgodset IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    0-1, JP Angel scored for Red bull. Nice attack put away by a nice performance from Angel.

Lech Poznan has been best in this match so far, but it's goals that matter in this game.

21. Jedda

Jedda Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Boden, Sweden
    NYRB up 1-0 just before the half time

22. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Godset and Jedda, thanks for the updates. Also, Red Bulls are actually using their twitter account for frequent game updates as well.

Angel's goal was served up from a cross by Hall, apparently. That's two goals this pre-season initiated by a midfielder crossing the ball into Angel (who then either passed it off or put it in himself). That might be two more of those than all last season:D

23. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was the line-up at the start of the match:
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Angel, Chinn, Hall, Stammler, Ubi, Richards, Borman, Ream, Jonson, Johnson, Sutton[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Half-time subs:petke (Ream), Boyens (Johnson), Gaudette (Sutton), which resulted in this:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Angel, Chinn, Hall, Stammler, Ubi, Richards, Borman, Petke, Boyens, Jonson, Gaudette[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Subs at 62': Stammler, Angel, Ubi, and Borman off. Oebster, I. Garcia, W. Garcia, and da Luz on.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Chinn, Richards, da Luz, Oebster, W. Garcia, I. Garcia, Hall, Petke, Boyens, Jonson, Gaudette[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

24. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final score: NYRB 1 - Lech Poznan 0. The twitter PBP suggested that Lech was perhaps playing better, but NYRB defense did their part. Also sounds like Gaudette made a few nice saves.

So far we are seeing the midfield create opportunities leading to goals. Today the defense and goal-keeping produced a clean sheet. Yes, this is pre-season and who knows what level of talent was being put on the field by our opponents, but seeing these things certainly gives one hope.

25. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely a lot of positives! I also like this...

Too bad we can't actually watch it, but it seems like there giving a lot of time to the trialist and draft picks to prove their worth and I'm all for it! I also wonder why if we have 4 Goalkeepers (2 signed and 2 training) we have unconfirmed reports about another keeper?

Anyways very happy to see JPA getting service, very happy to see Chinn, Ream, Da Luz and Garcias (1 and 2) getting playing time! :)