LA @ Dallas Pre/Post match discussion (R)

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by PZ, Aug 23, 2002.

1. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon other Mods....can't believe we all forgot there's a match tomorrow (or are we trying to not think about the heat the Gs'll be dealing with tomorrow?) ;)

A win will make us the first team this season to win 3 in a row...there now, I've jinxed it so we don't need to worry.

Brian is suspended for that challange on Garcia at the final whistle on Wednesday (It's not like Garcia doesn't take out everyone elses legs)

Cobi is a doubt as is Albright. We could be a little thin up front.

Any other thoughts?

2. 100fyrz

100fyrz New Member

Dec 3, 1999
    West Hollywood, CA
    Damn, we could be down to pairing Reis & Ruiz ("El Veloz" even pronounces them the same) up front ;) ...

3. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Cobi or Mullan??

Doesn't sound good if we're relying on Albright, though he may be better than Moreno (LOUSY touch & finish).

At least, we have "El Pescadito" & Big Red!!!

Truth is that a win would be AMAZING, but a draw is probably more realistic.

The Burn are for real, it appears, & they are TOUGH to beat at home. Not to mention, it's going to be HOT in Big D tomorrow. Plus, they always play us tough, no matter what the standings say.

Galaxy 1
    Burn 1

LA goal by, who else, Ruiz (his 18th). At least, we stay AHEAD of Dallas!!

I'll be watching on DirecTV. GO, GALAXY!!!!!

4. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    It's only 95 at 1:30 p.m.

5. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the half it's 0-0.

We DOMINATED the first 30 minutes. The last 15 minutes were pretty even.

We dodged two or three MAJOR bullets by the Burn.

We had our own chances, as well.

With the Crapids beating the Quacks today, 3-0, it's IMPORTANT that we get at least one point.

Pretty sure, we'll see Albright in the second half, hopefully for Moreno.

6. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Thanks, galaxyfan

I appreciate the play-by-play. I went out & bought an amplified AM antenna, but still no 1110 AM. Frustrating...

7. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to OT, still tied at 0-0.

VERY lucky to be tied. We were BADLY outplayed in the second half.

Fish is out of gas. He's had a couple of chances, but his touch & finish is not there tonite.

8. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruiz with a GOLDEN opportunity in the third minute of OT, but held on to the ball too long.

DAMN, Bengard with a GREAT chance in the fourth minute of OT. Great save by Jordan.

At least , we going for the win!!

9. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DAMNNNNNIITTTTT!!!!!!!

Goal by Bobby Rhine in the sixth minute of OT.

We lose 1-0!!!!

10. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clueless in Seoul

Thanks for the 411, galaxyfan. Having trouble with MLSnet. They seem to have the carrying capacity of about 3 hits at one time.

11. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't going to say it before the match, but now that it's after the fact, I had a bad feeling about this match. I knew it would be a close one and I thought both teams did alright in the heat (can't imagine how hot it was).

There were a couple of times Ruiz should have shot it right away but for some reason kept trying to set up his shot. The breakaway to go one-on-one with Jordan could've and should've been a goal. Nice shot on goal by Bengard though. That would've been sweet if he had the game-winner.

Vengeance comes Sept. 3 at Fullerton.

12. DMTwigg

DMTwigg New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    San Clemente, CA
    Notes to KCAL 9...

...Thank you for airing today's match, but could someone please slap a muzzle on Rick Davis? The man is an idiot.

Just for future reference - instant replays and inane chatter should be saved for stoppages.

My favorite Rick Davis line of the day?
    "As a goalkeeper, he does have the advantage of using his hands..."

Thanks Rick, for making Ty Keough seem less of a toad.

13. 100fyrz

100fyrz New Member

Dec 3, 1999
    West Hollywood, CA
    "There were a couple of times Ruiz should have shot it right away but for some reason kept trying to set up his shot."

Yeah, what was with that? You'd think he'd know as well as anyone you can't turn golfer in the box, taking 4 hours to tee up your shot. Maybe it's just what gf03 said, that he was out of gas.

Also, where was Vagenas? I don't remember him getting hurt.

14. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flu like symptoms.

15. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *************** Game !!

As was said earlier, right on the half hour mark the galaxy took a dump !!

Alejandro Moreno really shouldnt be in MLS. for him being here means that MLS is really weak.

he had 10-12 services on the left side of the field with tons or space and time and usually only one man to beat. He wasted every one of them with what constitues as junior college type dribbling techniques.

Cobi hustled and was the only one not overly affected by the heat. Carlos squandered every chance he had, i am convinced albright is the slowest forward in MLS.

And i know anytime Adam frye is to make an appearance in the game 2 things will happen.

1. some lucky fan will go home with an MLS Ball, from an adam frye shot.

2. the Galaxy will ultimately lose the Game.

P.S. Hartman should have stopped that shot, he had stopped 12 other weak efforts all night long.

Good grief- San Jose must be the luckiest team in MLS.

Why cant some of that rub off on us.

16. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have to admit, if I hear Rick Davis say "Ultimately.." again, I'm gonna throw something at my TV and then go break my radio for good measure.

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thin bench and conditioning problems. Dallas was better acclimated and LAG wilted. From about the 80 minute mark LA was hanging on by the skin of its teeth and the loss comes as no surprise.

Rhine's goal WAS a soft one. But KH set a career high for most saves in a game, and we were BADLY outshot. I am willing to cut the keeper some slack - no keeper should have to see as much of the ball as Kevin did Saturday.

But, props to the Burn. They played under the same heat conditions as GaLAxy and had more energy. Part of that is the bench. Jeffries was bringing in Bobby Rhine as fresh legs, and he is a quality player (or at least has been in the past.) Sigi was left with one last move and the best he had available was Adam Frye. 'Nuff said.

18. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good point, Cadaver.

Dallas is tough because they subbed in Ronnie O'Brien, Zarco, and Bobby Rhine.

We sub in Alex Bengard, Adam Frye and Chris Allwrong.

19. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, just wanted to mention something. First off, and maybe the most important, is the play of Peter Vagenas and the impact it has on the Galaxy overall. He didn't play against Dallas you might say, well, yes, he didn't play, and that's exactly the point I'm trying to make. No, I'm not saying that Pete's the best Galaxy player, but I am saying that the team's shape overall, and ball-holding capabilities are much improved when he's in the game. He wasn't in the game vs. Dallas, and as Pareja, Vaca, Broome, O'Brien, and Suarez showed us all night, we just fell apart as the game dragged on. Pete's endurance would have really helped defensively, allowing Cobi, Cien, and Simon a chance to think a little more offensively.

Rewind to Wed. night's game, Joe & Rick's post-game show, I called in and mentioned that his play really is making a difference in the midfield, where the game is truly won or lost. After my call, someone from LARS called in and bashed him, saying Simon should be playing centrally instead of Pete, and not on the left, cause his touch and creativity are better than Pete's. Uh-huh, well, he definitely played centrally against Dallas, and you all saw the result. It also doesn't help that Sigi insists on playing Moreno up top with Sasha as the left mid. Sorry, that just doesn't work, I don't have to lecture at all about Moreno's CYSA-Gold level play, but I can say that I feel bad for Sasha, cause as we all know, he is a forward, whether that's in a striker position or withdrawn, he plays up top, not in midfield. The defense was good throughout, save for the breakdown at the end. PT anyone? Same for the forward contingent, damn you'd think that Ruiz would have more endurance than what he showed, considering he comes from a place where the climate is essentially Dallas-esque with more humidity all year.

Anyway, I was sad to see Mullan get no time in Dallas, maybe he could have added a spark off the pine. I honestly expect a better team to show up on Saturday than what was fielded in Dallas, a minor stumble on the road to MLS Cup. One final thought: Moreno a starter? The thought makes me nauseous...

20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mullan serving a red card suspension for the challenge at the end of the KC game. Not available to come off the bench.

Agree with your comments on Pete - I like what he does for the team.

21. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HE GOT A RED CARD FOR THAT??? THAT BLOWS!!!

22. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. You said it. Welcome to the "Stange But True" world of MLS officiating.

23. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    The bright side is that the Dudes are still only three points out of first. Keep your eye on the sparrow, er, I mean, the goal.

24. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the reason we do and will continue to do so badly is becuase we have the thinnest bench in the league. Our bench warmers do not have an impact on the game, or should i say a possitive impact on the game. If we dont get better reserves a la, NY, SJ, Big D, we dont have what it takes to win a game the has a stalemate. Thats what happened in dallas, by the way Pineda chacon is bench warming in Revs (dumb Fcks) maybe we can get him here to help us.

25. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't work. Pineda Chacon is a senior international. That's the slot LAG is holding open for the Korean defender.

But, I agree with your basic analysis: we have very little in the way of impact reserves. With Glinton hurt, Vagenas sick, and Ochoa and Waibel out on loan to the A-League, Sigi was really scraping the bottom of the barrell in Dallas.

The only reason LA has been able to hold up this long is that they have been relatively injury-free before Glinton went down.