L.B.J. Killed J.F.K. ???

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Sonicspride, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
  2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    New conspiracy theory? Huh? The rumors of LBJ's involvement in JFK's death have been suggested for around 35 years now.

3. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Good answer.

"New York author Gerald Posner, who wrote the 1993 book "Case Closed: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Assassination of JFK," was skeptical that the book breaks new ground. "It's based on five-year-old news by a conspiracy theorist who didn't get press back then," said Posner, who has not read McClellan's work.

Posner contends in his book that Lee Harvey Oswald, who was killed soon after he was arrested, acted alone."

If I were Bush's press secretary, I'd be trying to separate myself from this Posner guy.

4. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less

Who do you guys think did it? Was it Oswald? If not who else?

5. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    There are 1001 theories. The only one which has been completely disproven (in my mind) is the one that says Oswald did it alone.
    Once, in a soccer match in England, a guy took a shot that was going to fly over the goal by ten yards. But the ball hit a seagull, and dropped straight down into the goal.
    I know strange, unlikely things happen all the time. But not as unlikley as what they tell us happened on that day in Dallas.

6. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    I agree. It sure wasn't Oswald alone. he was probaly hired by the CIA and quickly became the fall guy. Besides, the Zapruder film shows the kill shot came from the front. Oswald was from the back right if my memory serves me correct.

7. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, the attorney who invented the Single Bullet theory, Arlen Spector, gets reelected as a PA Senator term after term. Amazing.

8. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I just read Richard Belzer's "UFOs, JFK, and Elvis". I can't really recomend it as a scholarly work since his footnotes are often lacking, but if you want a book to really pee you off, its a good one.
    A couple of quotes, which I have to call paraphrases, since I'm not sure I have them exact.
    LBJ (about Gerald Ford, part of the committee to investigate the assassination): He's so dumb he can't fart and chew gum at the same time.
    LBJ (also about Gerald Ford): Jerry's a nice enough guy, but he played too much football with his helmet off.

9. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less

Hey, I'm sure as hell not allowed to vote for a PA senator.

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Besides, the Zapruder film shows the kill shot
    > came from the front.

This is not true. The exploding bits of brain matter clearly went forward, so the shot came from behind.

We already had a Kennedy conspiracy theory thread in this forum a while back. The idea that someone else besides Oswald did it does not hold water. We can't tell if he did it alone as he was shot before he could say, but I think he was alone.

11. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    But Jackie crawled to the back of the car to pick up some brain.

12. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Gary Mack, curator of the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas and generally recognized as the leading JFK assassination authority in the world, refuses to take a public stand regarding a specific conspiracy theory (he has to, as the museum is "conspiracy-neutral). He even writes papers debunking the famous conspiracy theories. In private, however, he's told people that it is physically, logistically, and scientifically impossible that Oswald acted alone.

13. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    The injuries at the BACK of the skull were indicative of an exit wound.

THOUSANDS of questions cast doubt upon the veracity of Warren Report. The very fact the single bullet theory was offered only AFTER the Zapruder film so compelled it casts a great deal of the Report into question.

But sometimes the most simple questions are most provocative. For example, Oswald's job. How did he just happen into a gig providing this would-be assassin sufficient opportunity to shoot the President of The United States merely weeks after beginning work? Most assasins actually need to clock off before seeking out to murder the leader of their country. Not here. JFK came to him. Either Oswald had somehow obtained inside knowledge of JFK's motorcade route MONTHS in advance for him to mail order his bolt-action 22' AND THEN sought out and obtained that particular job at that particular location, or he just woke up one day, discovered the President was going to pass by his place of employment, and decided to shoot him during lunch. And fotunately for him, he had received the approproiate weapon for the job because he had ordered it months in advance.

I aint buying on that basis alone.

14. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Ding

15. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Or he could have planned to assassinate him, bought the gun, and then got lucky that his new job allowed him to do it.

I'm not big into conspiracy theories, especially the JFK one, but that's perfectly plausible. It's just as plausible as a large conspiracy.

16. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    It's indeed possible that the motorcade provided Oswald the opportunity to kill the President without his ever leaving work. This would make Oswald perhaps the "luckiest" and laziest assassin in world history. Frankly, I think there exists a greater possibility that the certain placement of Oswald at a predictable location, his day job, makes him an ideal candidate for Patsy of the Century.

IMO, of all the whack theories about JFK's demise, the Warren Report is among the most implausible. And personally, just because it has the imprimatur of official government investigation lends it little credibility. History is rife with stories of covert internal assassinations and coups de etat, and I don't think the US is immune.

I LOVE Conspiracy theories. I just don' buy many of them. And personally, the Warren Report just doesn't pass the sniff test.

17. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am. I have yet to meet someone who has admitted to voting for him, yet he's up for reelection yet again.

Not that there has been a stellar candidate running against him, however.

18. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one of the parts that I don't buy.

Consider the scenario: you're in an open car, and your husband has just been shot, spattering brain matter all over you, and somewhat tumbling towards the floor at your feet. Take the gore out of the picture, and your first reaction is to get on the floor, out of the way of flying bullets. But with the blood etc, she was trying to get the hell out the best way she could.

Remember, an abnormal reaction to an abnormal situation is normal. I could be wrong, and she may have thought she could grab some flying part of anatomy while climbing out on top of the trunk of a moving car. I just doubt it.

When was the JFK thread active? Any links?

19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Says who? Certainly not doctors that examine the evidence. "In interviews with author Gerald Posner, the Parkland doctors were nearly unanimous in their agreement with the autopsy findings at Bethesda Naval Hospital." The wound in the back shows beveling, which clearly indicates an entry wound.
    And here is something that will blow your mind (no pun intended) even more. Oswalds parents got together and had a baby decades before they should have known that Kennedy would be president!

I hope you realize I am joking. Why do all of these have to be proximate events to the final act? It is far more reasonable to believe that his job gave him a chance to carry out the act rather than him having future knowledge that no other human had (the decision to conduct the motorcade did not take place until November 15, one month after Oswald started work at the depository). It was just a crime of opportunity.

20. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > When was the JFK thread active? Any links?

I can't find it. It may have been before the crash. It was sometime before Oct 2002 (looking over my browser links, I have Kennedy assasination links before a link to an Oct 19th 2002 Washington Post article on Bush using questionable budget practices).

21. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    1) Re: Exit wounds. That links states that nearly all the Parkland physician's initial observations ran counter to the Bethesda autopsy. Later, most but not all, changed their opinions, claiming they were all under the stress of saving the President's life. Surely you have read heard of the many studies concerning the temporal effects on eyewitness accounts, and how recollections are altered by post-hoc suggestion. I distinctly remember watching an interview with one of those Parkland physicians who steadfastly contradicted the Bethesda conclusions. Sorry, I will not provide a link establishing this. I will leave that to more "enthusiastic" conspiracy theorists. You probably know as well as I that I could Google up some authority saying as much. Not gonna do it.

2) Re: Oswald's job: A good conspiracy theorist (i.e. not me) could cite authority challenging the veracity of that cited date. Or get this: if that decision was indeed made on Nov 15, said conspiracy theorist could suggest that the motorcade route was chosen to accommodate Oswald's known location.

But I did not state that Oswald necessarily had foreknowledge of the motorcade's route. I did state that if he did not have such information, he was the perhaps the laziest and/or luckiest assassin ever. Perhaps similar examples of assassins exploiting such serendipitous circumstances exist in history, but I am unaware of any. However, it is the kind of circumstance one would expect a third party to exploit if that 3P intended to make Oswald a pasty. IF one were to defend Oswald as a fall guy on more substantive grounds, this is merely persuasive evidence to that end.

Bottom line: I offered Oswald's time of place of hire merely as one piece of highly curious circumstantial evidence that has held my attention since I was a child. I have neither the time nor energy to delve back into more substantive evidence, including the efficacy of Single Bullet Theory. I'll leave that to others.

It’s coming up on 40 years. Seems like an appropriate occasion to do some more reading on the subject. Perhaps my view will change. But right now whole thing still stinks.

22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Two examples not exactly on point, but still suggestive of luck/strange coincidence in assasinations. The Archduke Franz Ferdinand was shot by Gavrilo Princip, who was part of a group of Bosnian Serb separatists who were shooting at him that day in 1914. IIRC Princip, or whoever the final shooter was, went to the wrong position. The other shooters missed their targets. The archduke's driver backedinto an alley, i believe, while trying to change directions and leave the scene. The car ended up right underneath the final shooter's accidental location. Bang.

The second weird example is something I recall reading when I was young, I googled it and couldn't find anything, so who knows? Take it with a grain of salt.

Two men were arrested in the late seventies for plotting an assasination of Jimmy Carter. The main guy's name was something like Raymond Earl Lee or Raymond Earl James or Raymond Lee James or Raymond Lee Harvey, or something like that. He had a friend involved in the plot whose first name was Oswaldo or Osvaldo. ANyway, the point being that four of the two men's names were eerily reminiscent of previous assasins.

Actually, I think the name was Raymond Lee Harvey. WHich would make things even eerier given the president's first two names, James Earl.I mean, you would have Lee, Harvey, Oswaldo, James, Earl and Ray all involved. OK, now i"m skeptical of this story. But I know I read it, and it was in a reputedly non-fiction book.

23. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that these would-be-assassins took their noms du guerre as a corruption of the real names of Oswald, Jones, etc. No further connection.

Is anyone here truly into the conspiracy theories? I ask because I happen to know one of the chief theorists IRL, Dr. Cyril Wecht ("Uncle Cyril"!). He once gave me a two-inch thick file of the autopsy reports available at the time, but having no pathology background, I really didn't understand that much. I was able to see the difference between Parkland & Bethesda Hospitals' reports, though.

Posner can say what he wants (or is paid to say), but two bullets cannot wreak that much havoc.

Yeah, I tried a search for a link to the previous thread (in several different ways), but I figured it got lost in one of the crashes. I would have liked to read the responses.