Kylian Mbappe, Welcome to Arsenal! - Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Feb 4, 2024.

1. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Saliba + Partey for Camavinga + Tchuameni

2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had never gotten Rice...... maybe. As is, we would have to change our formation/system or play one of our high end MF out of position in order to get them all on the field.

Now if you wanna do Tchouameni or Camavinga + Rodrygo (who they are rumored to be moving to accommodate Mbappe) I might be willing to listen.

3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orny linking us to Bruno?

He's a prick but he would absolutely make our MF better

4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He & Zirkzee are likely the cheapest options that have had productive seasons abroad. Bayern has a 40m euro buyback on Zirkzee so you may have to get creative to get him. Maybe send them Biereth + cash? Maybe sweeten the pot with Lokonga?

5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The problem is being inverted ******** up a defenses shape to accommodate for the extra guy, whereas a CM playing CM is just a CM.

And he would still have to transition, probably even more since he is a CM and now Arsenal has to accommodate his lack of engine in CM which is even more dangerous for us.

I don’t get how we all rate Pep and Arteta but think both messed up by not playing Zinny at CM.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "defends passably well" might be debatable. In any case, surely there must be someone we can get who can play both sides of the ball well at ILB. Maybe Timber is that guy, though he's still a mystery because he barely played for us before he did his ACL and now there's the crapshoot of whether he'll come back to at least the level he was pre-injury. And if he does, are we counting on Tomi as his backup? From Eduteta's POV, it seems quite tricky that, before this crucial summer window, we haven't really gotten a look at Timber, especially post-injury. Maybe they'll push to get him games soon, though the last I heard he still hadn't played a reserves game.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Zinchenko is an awful defender

I wouldn’t mi d seeing him tried as an 8 because he’s looked ok there for Ukraine and is good on the ball

it also lessens the risk of a goal conceded from an error higher up the pitch

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Idk. I think we lose a lot more defensive shape with him at CM.

Shen-O repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think we have better players than Zinchenko at 6 and 8. The value is in having the extra player in midfield that turns into a fullback when out of possession.

thebigman, Tonerl and DaPrince84 repped this.
  10. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

Every single mis-step from Zinny in midfield leads to a high quality 1vs1 against our gk

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #561 casoccerdad47, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    I’m not advocating for him as a starter in midfield, what I am doing is looking toward next season. If, as I suspect , Timber is too good to keep out of the starting lineup or, as has been rumored, Arsenal sign a left back, Zinchenko becomes depth at left back. His versatility also makes him valuable as depth in midfield. Depending on what happens in the summer transfer window, Arsenal could be left with only one deep lying midfielder and Arteta has been using him a lot as an 8, so we expect another midfield signing, but Zinchenko could be moved there to provide depth.

As far as defending passably well at left back is concerned, it’s just that passable defense. Recently, Arteta hasn’t trusted him in big games, he came off at halftime in the most recent Liverpool game, he was an unused sub in the most recent City game and he didn’t start either game against Bayern Munich. Last season Arteta used Tomiyasu at left back in some of the biggest games, I suspect if he had been healthier this season we would have seen him at left back again in some of the more important games that Zinchenko started.

mebeSajid and chjoak repped this.
  12. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    @casoccerdad47 You haven't addressed the age/injury/contract issue.

Zinchenko is not going to sign a new contract for less money. Giving him a new contract and a more limited role in the squad makes no sense.

Keeping him means next summer he is a year older (28), entering the final year of his contract, having played less. Potentially having endured another injury plagued season.

Arsenal have been poor at selling players, usually because they make sure everyone knows the player is not needed prior to putting them on the market. Zinchenko is a regular starter when healthy, plan A should be to sell while his value is still there. Only if they get a bunch of rubbish offers should they consider keeping him in a backup role.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Selling Zinchenko will depend on what the market is for him and who they bring in as depth. TransferMarkt currently values him at about £36m. If he draws offers of more than £36m Arsenal should probably consider selling him. If offers come in under that figure, even as a back up, he may be to valuable to Arsenal to sell at below that price even though he would be able to walk away for free at the end of the 2026 season. Among other considerations, the cost of bringing in a back up player to replace him.

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    yes. he’s done very well in a limited side. good at breaking the press. receiving in tight spaces and distributing.

it’s like the new xhaka role where you are receiving the ball inside the passing screen between the lines and immediately spreading the ball

i’ve been impressed with how BG can make himself available in heavy traffic and immediately find the likes of gordon wide which destroys the defensive shape

15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bruno has a unique ability to commit dogshit tackles and not get given yellows for them, that power would magically vanish if he joined us.

That said, would absolutely take Bruno off Newcastle if they needed to sell. A midfield of Bruno, Rice and Ode would ********ing slap.

16. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruno smoke may just be smoke. Supposedly he just bought a £4m house near Newcastle so seems unlikely that he is pushing for an exit.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Newcastle has to sell

18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    A Saudi club will conveniently bid 60m for Trippier.

I'd rather have Isak as I really dislike Bruno. Seems like it would be easier for them to sell Bruno and replace him with Tonali after his ban is over. If they sell Isak, they need a replacement. Maybe Toney, but that's a downgrade.

And_ROOS repped this.
  19. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Isaak won't be sold for under 70mil, would we even be able to lash that sort of money?

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Depends on who we sell and for how much.

21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday morning ST rumors......

- Juventus are supposedly looking to offload Dusan Vlahovic's salary and have offered him to us for €60m.
    - Feyenoord ST Santiago Gimenez is planning to move this summer and is supposedly chosing between Arsenal, Atletico Madrid & Juventus.
    - We are supposedly considering offers for Jesus

22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what Im reading, im thinking he wouldn't go for under £100m. Supposedly Howe wants to build the offense around him and will fight to keep him.

And_ROOS repped this.
  23. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    …why didn’t we just buy this guy when he was extremely available and for half the price? Maybe Edu shouldn’t have fired our entire scouting team if all he knows is Brazilians playing in the PL

24. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Ben Jacobs says Arsenal have reached out to Bruno, with a reply that Arsenal reached out to a lot of targets last week. I don't get the mention of a fee in excess of 80m for Bruno, what is his release clause?

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have bought him from 20m coming out of Brazil, though I think that was on Bruno not us. Passing on him coming from Lyon was a big mistake too.