Kristine Lilly to play a 6th world cup next year?

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Hope Solo Fan Belgiu, Sep 13, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's the exact crux of the issue. With Heath injured, Tarpley injured (she played on the left a lot for Pia), Rapinoe sick, Chalu in purgatory, Schnur subpar there really weren't other left side options when Lilly was first called back into camp. At that point, she was pretty much the only left mid sub option.

Now, maybe Pia sees if Taylor has the wheels for midfield at this level. Maybe Pia goes back to shifting righties left (eg Tarpley, O'Hara), or maybe Kristine "I broke a USWNT fitness record this week" Lilly does in fact win a spot. With some of those folks getting back Lilly may be surplus to requirements. We'll see soon enough.

2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Injury and fitness has hampered players progression, but 4 YEARS has almost gone by with very little visable forward thinking. Having Lilly at another WWC doesn't say how good she is, it says more about the lack of U.S. progression.

USA should still be a great draw for football fans to see, but they lack the style and flair great footballing nations have. From 99 onwards USA has steadily regressed in player/style status. Without #1 status other national sides have become the teams with the style/players that excite the fans.

At the WWC 07 with Lilly USA were horrible, playing out dated football lacking flair or creativity. In China agian, but this time for the Olympics, without Lilly USA were still very poor. USA this time resorting to defensive tactics, with little to no possession or style. With the benifit of playing Canada and up and comming Japan in the knock out rounds, USA were fortunate to beat a Brazil side that held them at arms length for 89 solid minutes.

USA have to up their game. If they dont win this one, USA have a long wait before they will again.

3. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I think most of us attribute that dismal performance to Greg Ryan lol. We rectified that mistake soon after.

More alarming to the future of the US squad is that - good coaching or no - we've largely been successful due to superior talent and fitness - we must have by far the largest player pool in the world from which to select players. But when the U-17 team fails to qualify for it's World Cup and the U-20s go out in the quarterfinals that should be raising a red flag that we won't have that advantage in the pipeline down the road.

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thats my point. USA has been too dependant on the older generation for its offence.Take away Boxx or Wambach and most U.S. fans would feel the players to come in are inexperienced. USA play more friendlies than anybody so why is this the case? Its always great to have a Lilly in her pomp show what the best looks like, but at some point younger or less experienced players need to get a go on the big stage. It may result in poor results, but you learn more before it gets important.

The U.S. player pool is vast, no doubt the largest in the women's game. Even with recent failures in youth competition, U.S. still has great potential with certain players, raw talent that if moulded right should be top draw senior talent right now.

Top players from the last U-20 in Chile have found their way into other major senior teams set ups, with even a few from the U-20's in Germany getting looks now. Seeing other nations do this, having Lilly on the bench seems short sighted to me, and starting her come WWC would seem desperate. Are USA really that short in creative attackers? I dont think so.

Sundhage didn't ask for the U-20's to play in same way the seniors would come WWC 2011 qualifying. This was a either a big mistake, or shows that Sunhage really doesnt rate what she sees. USA has the two top forwards from the U-20 in Chile, yet if Morgan gets a WWC will she play? and will Leroux even get onto another squad if she doesn't make the squad for WC qualifying?

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what WPS was supposed to do, right? Show us who belongs on the big stage? Well, what names come flying to mind?

Ali Riley. Oops, damn! She's New Zealand.

Not so clear, right?! I mean, maybe Tina DiMartino, maybe Kelly O'Hara, maybe Becky Edwards at holding mid, maybe Engen for the D, but as far as attacking mids and wings...? It's not obvious. We were hoping there would be another Shannon Boxx discovered by now but so far...

Hey, maybe we found our future GK - Ashlyn Harris if not Val Henderson or Alyssa Naeher. And maybe Danesha Adams for a super-sub. But if Lilly and Boxx are still the best we've got that's not Pia's fault.

6. WiminzSoccerRocks

Jun 15, 2009
    MA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean Brandi Chastain? Overbeck went out on top.

7. WiminzSoccerRocks

Jun 15, 2009
    MA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected.