Kristine Lilly to play a 6th world cup next year?

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Hope Solo Fan Belgiu, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    That would be a huge achievement od her agian.
    I think she can.
    It would make her the only player men or female who has played on 6 world cups
    only 2 male players plmayed 5
    Lothar Matheaus Germany between 1982 and 1998
    and the Mexican Goalie Antonia Carbajal (1950-1966)

I the condition she now is she's one of the best breakers players now she can.
    I hope she will

2. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I would have laughed at this idea two years ago, but it looks very plausible now. Lilly's fitness regimen is legendary even by USWNT standards, if any 40+ outfielder could play at the international level it would be her. A lot will come down to whether the US has better options, but I'm not so sure we do. I'm obviously a fan of hers, but I only want to see her on the team if she can make meaningful contributions, and not be another Carla-Overbeck-on-the-2000-Olympic-team-as-a-mascot scenario.

3. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no question that she can still compete at the international level. The question I have is if Lilly would be able to recover in enough time between group matches at the WC. While she wasn't subbed out once last season in WPS. She was subbed out much more frequently this season.

It would be a remarkable achievement if she is picked. And personally I hope she is, as long as she continues to be as effective as she was in the friendlies this year.

4. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    If she's picked for the wiorld cup she deserves to win the Laureus award!

Bud in a group of 22 (19 cause 3 goalies)
    I see a spot for her if she is not injured.
    The Iron Lady forever.
    PS in belgium I know we have a women league and a very very low level.
    bud you stil have to it also a player of 40 years still really took her team to tghe tille last years.
    that's why I say age has nothing to do wit

see to the last Champuions League victory of AC Milan: they played in defense with Maldini and Costacurta 39 and 40 years old. there where other players in that team like seedorf, Inzaghi....
    I think it was in 2007.

and Ajax won in 1995 with a bucn of youngstars and and only two older players (RIJkaard, Blind) and to somethings three foreign players in thre team. Litmanen and Finidi always started, Kanu often on bench

that's why I say: age has nothing to do with it: if a players is 18, 25, 30 or 40 the best has to play.

5. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Age discrimination is a Bad Thing, in life or in sports. Why would we not want Lilly? Would that be because her deficiency lies in technical skill, experience, or will to win? Maybe we would want someone with more on-field leadership?

I have long been a big fan of Lilly when she is on the pitch, and her stats are awesome and speak for themselves. If she has a flaw, perhaps it is that she is too prone to identify with the old-girl pony-tail sorority. Her leadership in the last WC seemed subdued, and regardless of one's opinion of Solo's behavior, I thought Lilly's behavior during the Brazil controversy was poor. Going forward, I think we have much better choices for the Captain's armband.

However, if Lilly continues to rip the beep test and set a fitness standard for her younger contemporaries, why would we not want her skill and experience on the squad? I trust Pia to select the squad on the merits of their total potential contribution. Where Lilly is concerned, it might even be worth giving up a step (if necessary) to roster that much experience in big matches. I say, select on the merits of what they show in camp. I don't think there is much chance Lilly will go as a mascot. Pia seems to have moved pretty decisively away from the old days of the pony-tail posse.

I wish Lilly luck! I really enjoy watching the ongoing contributions of players like Tiff Milbrett and Lilly in WPS. If Lilly can play at the WNT level next year, I'd love to see her on the field. As others have said, it would be a remarkable achievment!

6. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    as I said in other topics
    we USA need to forget the WC 2007
    2011 is niow the object

7. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Where did age discrimination come from??? The only age-discriminator is mother nature, she slows everybody down as they get older and eventually they can no longer keep up with the top level 20-somethings.

While mother nature still has an undefeated record, Lilly has gone deeper into the fight with her than just about anyone and it's a credit to her that she's even a plausible selection possibility for a World Cup. I only want to see her picked though if Pia figures on her seeing significant minutes on the pitch. If she's getting a spot that Pia doesn't figure on playing at all, I'd rather see someone who will factor into 2012 or 2015 get the experience of being at a major tournament if they're just going to warm the bench anyway.

8. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I feel like I better clarify:

Belgiu, my view is 100% forward! I have No desire to revisit the last WWC! But if we don't learn from the past, we relive it. I would love to see Lilly Earn a spot on the 2011 WWC team. I think her days as a captain are appropriately behind her.

DCUetc, where age discrimination came from was "discrimination"; that is, someone who is in every other way fully qualified, but who can't catch a break because BigSoccer posters say she is too old and a has been. In my post, I said it might be worth giving Kristine a step, to gain her experience. I didn't say a step and a half, and I certainly never suggested she should be the encouraging matron on the bench, passing out the Gator-Aide. If she can't nail the beep test and deliver shock and awe in camp, then thanks for the effort, but leave her at home. I think just because Lilly, Rampone, and Milbrett were around, playing, before there was fire, people think they belong in the stone age. :) When you evaluate these players on their merits, each is still an amazing contributor to their respective WPS squads. I say toss any of them into the WNT national camp mix and see how they do. If they fill a role, put 'em on the roster. Again, I wish Lilly the very best, but on her merits. I'm sure she welcomes the 2011 WNT challenge and would not want a spot on the roster that all her teammates did not feel she had fully earned!

9. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I appreciate you clarifying, though I hadn't really gotten a sense that people were looking to write her off for age alone. I'm worried it's going to be the opposite - that everyone is going to want see Lilly in one more WWC for sentimental reasons and because she 'earned it over the years' regardless of whether she can contrinute meaningfully or not. She looks pretty good right now, but you never know if this winter will be the one where age suddenly catches up with her. We'll know in the spring.

10. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I see a Huge difference between Kristine Lilly and Brandi Chastain. Lilly came up in the early days of the UNC program, and has fought tooth and nail for everything she has ever gotten. Her stats are a legacy to her accomplishment!

I don't think Lilly has ever implied she was owed Anything. It would be an unfortunate result and a discredit to Kristine, to the legacy of the UNC program she represents, and to the integrity of the WNT program, to suggest that she would be offered or accept a position due to fan sentimentality. Carolina fans are there cause we care. Carolina players are there cause they get the job done! I cannot believe that such an icon of the UNC program and the USWNT would accept a spot to be a token on the bench. If she goes, she will go to play, because the coaching feels they need her. I would be very disappointed to think any other scenario was even remotely possible.

11. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Overbeck did in 2000, I'm hoping to not see that again.

12. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Yeah, good point. On reflection, my earlier post seems kinda foolish. Lilly may have an idea of how she stacks up in the roster, but in the final analysis all she can do is make the team (or not). Its up to Pia whether she plays.

I agree with you that I would much rather a younger player go and get some experience unless there is an expectation that Lilly can contribute some meaningful minutes on the pitch. Its Pia's call to make, and I still have confidence she will make it with an eye to getting our best roster to the WWC and building the program for the future. If Lilly can make the short list in that context, of course I'd love to see her go!

13. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think that overall you would guess her age by watching her on the field. She is still a force on the pitch, and the combination of experience and grit and being a natural lefty all work in her favor. I do not think that she would accept, or that Pia would offer, an "honorary" spot on a full WC team.

14. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Hope I'm not being taken the wrong way - right now I think Lilly looks great and should be in the discussion. I want to see what spring brings though. Overbeck played well in WWC 99, but suffered a debilitating illness over the winter that she never regained full fitness from. It was obvious Heinrichs had no intention of playing her in Australia (and she didn't) yet gave her a precious spot on a very thin tournament roster of 16 players (that's a tiny amount for 5 games in 14 days). If Pia plans to play Lilly significant minutes, I have no problem with Lil being there.

15. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ussoccer_wnt: FYI...Kristine Lilly set record on #USWNT fitness test yesterday. Wow. She's 39, a mom....and a fitness machine.

Well done Lil

:D

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see that tweet.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agreed. Just because she's still playing doesn't mean she's still playing at an international level.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is now when I plug my Lilly to left back idea? Or is it when we look at the list of healthy left mids and left backs and shudder b/c the list is so short?

I continue to rejoice that there are a few people around here who remember old school USWNT stuff

19. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Lilly goes to the WWC as a starter USA are doomed. Seriously, its time to move on. Fact is she shouldn't even be a factor for the U.S. qualifying squad right now. Lilly has done well in WPS this year, but if you take her why not Tiffeny Milbrett too? Milbrett has looked way more dynamic than Lilly all season.

The younger U.S. players have Solo, Wambach, Boxx, and Rampone as seasoned WWC players to look to for assurance on the big stage. Except for Solo those vet players will be in their last WWC come Germany 2011. I dont see Lilly as a vital player amongst that vet starter list. Even comming on as a sub, does Lilly have a style that can change matches?

Dont make the mistakes of WWC China 07, choosing experience over talent.

20. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    AC Milan won CL in 2007 with maldini and Costacurta 39 and 40 years old
    age has nothing to do with it!
    21,25,30,35,40......the best player for the team on that postion has to play....
    2007 was just the mistake of worst coaching ever.
    Age dicrimantion is wrong
    in all ways
    Milan won CL with a very "old" team in 2007 Ajax with a bunch of youngh stars togheter with Rijkaard and Blind in 95

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maldini and Costacurta were still two of the top players in their respective positions. At that point for AC milan to replace them would have been too costly in both money and time.

USWNT has had 4 YEARS since 07 to bring through the talent they most definitely have, and yet 4 years has pased with questions still being asked if the young players are ready yet:eek: This is not about age, its about letting the talent fail or shine on its own merits.

USA is in for a shock come Germany 2011, as teams will no longer fear them. Having a strong defence will only go so far this time. To still be dependant on Lilly would be a poor assessment of the attacking talent USA has had to choose from since 07.

22. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    USA-Germany 0-4

Lilly one of the best player's on the field

23. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    OK, be happy with that then. I dont remember seeing the USA dominate anybody in tournament play since hmmm 2003? By recent standards beating Germany 4-0 in a friendly sounds about right. USA always go unbeaten between tournaments, crushing all before them so whats different now?.

Every tournament since 2003 USA look worse and worse, to the point of being consistently outplayed, with an ever increasing reliance on defence and good fortune to attain victories. When everybody starts to wonder why USA look so ordinary in Germany 2011, the stats and unbeaten records wont mean squat.

4 years for Rapinoe, O'Hara, Heath etc to gain experience, and for the USA to solidify a new playing style so far looks wasted. Sundhage should have cleaned house after 07, but instead Its the same old thing. Calling Lilly back in just says USA talent can't/wont cut it, and I dont think thats true.

24. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    They won the olympics, Ok Lilly wasnt there...bud they won they Olympics
    maybe this has something to do with it: a european coach?

25. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Rapinoe and O'Hara have been regular selections for the natonal team recently. Don't forget that Rapinoe was quite ill early in the year and was unable to play, and it seemed to take her quite a bit of the WPS season to regain form. Heath also has missed a lot of time this year due to injury. I saw all the WPS teams play this year at least once, Boston four times. I can't think of another American left-sided player who made more of an impression than Lilly. Maybe Lohman of Philly, but she did just get called in--had to be replaced for this round of friendlies due to a bad ankle sprain. Assuming that the three players named above (Rapinoe, O'Hara, and Heath) are all in the mix for 2011, what OTHER left-sided player would you add to the group?