Kreis Goal of the Week?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Teleturn, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Teleturn

Teleturn New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Salt Lake City
    Kudos to Jason, but I have to say that the play seemed like a defensive blunder.

Watch the video - you'll see an RSL'er step out of the wall and a few moments later, Jason blasts the ball about waist high through the space.

I can understand the Chicago defender instinctually not wanting to step in front of the shot, but shouldn't it follow that if the only RSL player in the wall suddenly runs away, then Kreis is going to aim for the opening?

This free kick showed great team execution, but I thought Cancela's goal had more individual flair.

2. knowwonnose

knowwonnose New Member

May 19, 2005
    Newtown, PA, USA
    I've noticed that more often than not, free kicks converted for goal will win goal or the week if included in the options. Why is that?

3. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yo man, that was a laser guided freakin' missle! That was awesome execution for the RSL player to get the hell out of the way of that cannon. No doubt we confused the Chicago defense. Goal of the week honors for sure. No question.

As for the "individual flare" sure it's nice but Kreis' goal was a team effort. I am sure they have worked on that many times and, holy cow, something worked for RSL the way they wanted it to!

BTW, I want to know how Kreis got into the stadium with a loaded weapon...? ;)

4. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    FWIW, in 1960 Henry and Rogers conducted expirements on human reaction times... in non-stress environments (stress makes you slower), it takes roughly between .4 to .8 seconds to "react" - i.e. set the body in motion, let alone do what you physically intend to do... in Driver's Ed they say it takes about 1.5-2 seconds to react/brake for a situation that requires it (and you're only moving your foot a few inches from "gas" to "brake" pedal...

Let's say athletes/goal-keepers are on the higher end, say between .4 and .5 seconds to "react" to the shot. NOW, clock the time it takes:

1) leave Kreis's foot and reach the "wall" (interval 1)
    2) from the wall (when Thornton can see it) to the top of the net (interval 2)

... it suddenly becomes very clear why it looks like Thornton was wearing "cement shoes" on the shot - the pace of the ball is so fast he can barely react. It's not bad defense, it's very good offense on RSL/Kreis.

Notice also that the ball knuckles slightly at about the wall, changing direction slightly upward (again Thornton has to react to this). This is why in PK situations goalkeepers must choose a side before the ball is kicked hoping that they will be roughly in the right area to make a "reaction" save with their .4-.5 second reaction time.

OR put another way (as slcboz said), it was a "laser guided freakin' missile" and clearly GOAL of the WEEK. :D

5. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Damn, and I thought I had a lot of time on my hands..... ;)

Nice break down of the goal of the week.

Sorry Aosthed, I have repped you too much.

6. RodneyMunch

RodneyMunch New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Congratulationss JK9 !! Now keep scoring (except against your old team). Go Utah Burn!

7. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i took care of it :cool: