Kreis for GOTW, STUFF THAT POLL!! ;)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I imagine I should have been able to decipher that... oh well... learn something new every day... ;)

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watch more Seinfeld reruns and you'll be fine!

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Well then. I came here last night to drop a nice, non-trolling comment and look what exploded. :D

Without taking me the wrong way, and please don't, let me try to explain something. This isn't about other fans questioning RSL fan support or commitment. I think it's fairly obvious by your attendance figures, or by people like myself who came to SLC for the qualifier last season, that RSL has the beginnings of a great tradition in fandom. And while this isn't a HUGE deal, I think it's fair to say that some players might be pleased to gain even the slightest recognition for their efforts. And taking that recognition away from them doesn't seem fair to me. Do you think Klein or Kreis put much value into an award they receive if they have the knowledge that the only way they got it was by ballot stuffing? Sure, they'd appreciate your support, but I know Chris Klein and I'd guess he'd think it was a bit silly and unnecessary.
    Maybe some people actually do think one goal is better than another, that's what opinion polls are for. But multiple voting takes the FUN out of the process. That's right, the fun. Part of the reason for a poll like this, IMO, is to grant the fans of MLS the privledge of selecting winners of things like GOTW or GOTY and so on. Some of us don't have the free time, or the desire, to vote multiple times. We simply want to have our say in something involving the league we love. Yet a few individuals take that away by childish ballot stuffing??? Are you a more important fan of MLS just because you actually have enough free time to vote 1000 times?
    I'm not saying don't vote for the goal you want to see win. If you think Kreis' goal was the best, by all means vote for it. If you want to vote for every single RSL goal that get's nominated, whether it's the best one or not, go right ahead. All of us would obviously be biased toward players from our own teams. But vote once and let the chips fall where they may. Let the other fans have as much of a choice in it as you. RSL fans aren't any more important to this league than Crew fans, Rapids fans or any other team's fans. I think we should all have equal say in who wins these awards, that's all.

Please don't flame me! :D

4. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Fan the flames!

I absolutely understand what you are saying. However, multiple voting will continue, as long as MLSnet allows it. Do I sit and vote over and over for my team? Hell no, I have a script that I wrote do it for me.....ha ha, jk.

I voted for Mina, if that means anything. Though Kreis' header assisted by Klein was beautiful. But this multiple vote thing, like I said above, is an MLSnet issue. As long as it is laid out like it is, people will stuff the polls.

5. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone please explain to me where the criteria for what exactly constitutes the GotW is? Who decided that it has to be the most amazing shot? To me, the GotW was the one that Kreis made that saved us from losing. As simple as that. There aren't any guidelines for what determines GotW for people. It's left up to each individual. If you want to reward the most amazing shot, feel free, but that doesn't mean that just because I might use different criteria that it is wrong.

I vote for the goal that was most important to me. Pure and simple. While Mina's shot was more amazing, it wasn't more important in my opinion.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Which is great. Really. The reason this thread hasn't died is a matter of scale. Did you vote for Kreis once or one thousand times?

And, frankly, neither would be particularly "fair". One becomes a popularity contest, the other becomes a technology contest.

MLS will just end up doing to RSL what they do with DC United. You won't get nominated again until you score at least two goals in a match, then you'll have two of the nominees in an attempt to "split the RSL vote".

Over the last two or three years, I think weeks in which a single DC goal was nominated ended with that DC goal winning over 80% of the time.

Stuffing the ballot box every now and again is fun. Doing each and every week - just to prove a point - really becomes annoying.

And I would never tell anyone how to vote their one vote. The main gripes expressed here - and on other "online vote" threads isn't against your analysis and vote, but against the dweebs who feel it their mission in life to subvert such systems with automation.

7. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I submitted 4 votes. One for myself, one for my wife, and one for each of my two kids. And I even asked them before voting for them too. :D

So, what happens when they do limit it to one vote per person and RSL still wins? Will people still be whining?

8. b_rad82

b_rad82 New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Slick City
    When I was in 5th grade we had a huge snowstorm one day and everybody got to go outside and make snowmen or whatever on the playground. Some people grouped up and made bigger snowmen or little forts. My whole class got together and made a fort big enough for all 30 of us. Then we started talking shit and the rest of the school got pissed and wrecked our fort. It was scary, like Lord of the Flies or something.

I just can't believe I'm in 5th grade again.

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    As I said, I think that's cool. Vote however you want. Just give the rest of us a say and vote once. Or four times if you think your whole family agrees with you. ;)

10. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    Our turn this week. Check out the goal by Erpen against the Red Cows.

11. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Freakin Awesome (had to capitalize that). I'll be disappointed if that isn't nominated for GOTW and I'd feel like a true jerk if I didn't vote for it. That said, we'll see which of our four goals (I saw that milk come squirting out of your nose... it could happen...) it gets pitted against. ;) ;)

12. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    Well, if Kreis had better luck, his free kick might have been a contender. Off both posts and out. That was sincerely tough to watch. I really am pulling for you guys to do well this year.