Korean Food in NYC/NJ

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Matt in the Hat, Aug 24, 2007.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Re: Brooklyn Recommendations

Well - there is a possibility that one of those asian places - probably more likely Japanese than Chinese - is owned by Koreans and might have a Korean menu that they don't make that public. If they have a lot of spicy rolls that sometimes might be a hint of Korean influence, although in NYC all run of the mill sushi places seem to have spicy tuna and spicy salmon. The other possibility is that a server at one of these places might be Korean and might know of a place that you wouldn't hear of through conventional means. But it would help to be able to recognize Korean language so you don't have to go around asking folks - are you Korean? :)

2. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  3. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  4. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  5. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good find. I know exactly where that is.

Their lunch menu has no Korean on it, and the dinner menu seems to indicate that Korean isn't thier focus. But I'll give their Bulgogi and Bibimbap a try. Regardless, a trip to Weston is still in cards.

And then somebody called it mediocre and not worth the trip! :)

No, I'm a round-eye white devil. :D But I've been around enough to be able to distinguish between the various scripts without being able to understand a thing they mean.

And I'm pretty good at pinpointing spoken Chinese to Japanese to Korean by ear... with a little help from body type and facial characteristics. It's the SE Asians which throw me for a loop. ;)

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Well I'm not sure you can hope for more than mediocre in Naples! :) And you have to be nervous about a place that charges for Korean side dishes, but how wrong can you go with bibimbap? Seafood pancake on the menu is a pleasant surprise - they might have a Korean language only menu that you could order from.

7. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My thought exactly!

A Korean friend of mine in Pittsburgh would make a mean seafood pancake. He was such a good cook that I tried to convince him to give up his pursuit of a PhD in Linguistics to open a Korean restaurant down here. Obviously it didn't happen. :(

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Are you sure it's still there? I couldn't find it on the website.

http://www.fortleeplaza.com/explore.htm

9. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, that website hasn't been updated in over a year. But the restaurant is definitely still there. Ate there a few days ago. The food is.....eh.

10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

otterulz - have you been to So Kong Dong on Main street? Tofu place? I went for lunch yesterday and really enjoyed it - although the broth of the tofu soup reminds me a little of Campbell's.

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I can't read because the potato stew is on their menu but I chickened out and got bulgogi bibimbap the other day when I ordered there. I thought the bap was fine, but the sides were really intense - I wasn't that crazy about the kimchi or the other sides.

12. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    So I tried the kamjatang yesterday and to be honest I wasn't that blown away. The dish looks amazing - big chunks of bony pork pieces, potatoes, what look like jalapenos, etc., but maybe it was an off day because the pork seemed a little dry and I wasn't crazy about the flavor of the sauce. The table next to me, a Korean American was saying to his waiter "is that enough food? I mean we HAVE to get the Kamjatang" - so I had high hopes but my feelings about it are mixed. I'll have to try it again.

I did really like the kalbi we ordered - the marinade was on the sweet side but really good.

13. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I guess growing up with the stuff I'm more used to it because now that you say that, I guess it really is kind of a bland dish. Maybe bland is harsh, but not something that'll tantalize your pallete. Glad you tried it though. Was it too spicy? Some places have it real spicy.

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It was fairly spicy, but not over the top. I can't describe the flavor of it - but you're right, it was a little on the bland side I guess? It's hard to call something that spicy bland. :) I love kimchi jigae and I'm going to go back to try other stews. They have this one dish on a big flat pan that is heated at your table that looked like a stew of sorts. I want to try that as well.

15. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just went to Dong Bang Grill on Palisade for lunch today. Had the Yook Hwe Bibimbap and Mrs Hat had the Duk Mandoo Guk. The place is just outstanding IMO, but my frame of reference is a little small.

Will be taking the parents there next weekend for the BBQ.

16. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Last night I went seaching for the Naples location (of course I didn't call ahead... as where's the adventure in that!), only to find that it is no longer there.

Instead, I found Sushi-Thai Too. My gf and I have always enjoyed our meals at the original Sushi-Thai, so I resigned myself to the Pad-Thai Chicken and Red Curry Shrimp instead of the Bulgogi and Bi Bim Bap that I was so looking forward to.

Still haven't crossed Alligator Alley yet, but I'll drive the two hours to Weston instead of wasting my time going to the Ft Myers Origami.

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I think you should give Origami a shot - IIRC they have Kimchi Jigae which makes me wonder if there aren't Koreans who eat there because I doubt a lot of white devils order that.

18. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other day I went to Ft Lauderdale to catch a few waves. On my way home, I found the Myung Ga restaurant in Weston.

I ordered the KimcheeJeon to start, which was excellent, then had their Bibimbap in the stone bowl. Ahh man, I could barely contain my joy!

The gf wasn't with me, so I brought her home some Japchae. What I didn't expect was the package of appetizers in the bag. What a nice touch.

And the waiter had even heard of Origami, but some Koreans who had been there before told him it was crap. I rarely go to Ft Myers, so I'm not in a hurry to get there.

So on Tuesday, after I take a friend to the Miami International Airport, I'm going back for more.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Awesome - good to hear you found decent Korean. I just took some newbies to one of the places in Fort Lee and they all loved it. It's amazing Korean food flies under the radar in this country. You gotta try the Soondoobu place in Weston!

20. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny... I was just thinking about trying something different. Thanks. Fortunately they've got 10 different Soondoobu's on the menu to choose from. I'll probably have the Kimcheesogogi style (kimchee, beef, and tofu) to go along with another pancake.

21. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember reading some article in the Food Section of the Times a year or 2 ago and it talked about a Korean-American girl who opened up a Korean restaurant with a contemporary feel to it. Dishes were traditional Korean with maybe some slight tweaks but it was about presenting the dishes in a manner that's pleasing to patrons along with a modern decor. Wish I remembered the name but it's in Manhattan somewhere. I'm sure if you do a well thought out google search or check out the nytimes.com archives, it'll pop up.

22. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not the exact article I was talking about, but maybe something to peak your interest.
    It's from the New York Times website so registration is required, I believe.

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC