Korea vs Japan 2012/08/10 - POST MATCH Discussion

Discussion in 'Korea' started by melonbarmonster, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    What an amazing game.

1. Hats off to Hong Myungbo. This man has two things that no Korean coach has ever had: tactical competence and leadership abilities. Choosing Ji Dongwon to start against GB, starting out against Brazil with Park CY on the bench and pulling out Koo as soon as Brazil hit their second goal was a gutsy, confident move that probably won us the Bronze. Total boss move. His personal experience at the highest levels including the WC02 run and ability to motivate his players is special.

2. Loved how our players handled themselves on the pitch with the refs. Things got hairy but we need our players to LEARN how to express themselves on the pitch. From Ki talking to other team and ref the entire tournament and Koo pressuring the ref starting from first half dictated our team's tenor on the match from the beginning. Our kids need are still learning and they will gain more and more tact with experience but this is a VAST improvement from the be silent and get jerked approach.

3. This team was BALANCED. Our defense was miraculously solid thanks in large part to Hong's strategy of DEFENDING AS A TEAM. How many times did we see Nam Taehee, Park Chuyoung and Ji Dongwon defending from top to in and around our own box?? Just amazing. Our midfield overran every team we played except Brazil in second half. Park Chuyoung, Kim Bokyoung, Ji Dongwon scored when it mattered. No gaping holes = BRONZE medal.

4. Against Japan, we managed the game brilliantly. We imposed our game plan on Japan from the get-go. Our aggressiveness and physicality totally took Japan out of their game plan. It wasn't pretty but it was our plan and the kids FORCED Japan to dance to our step. I'm sure Hong had other plans in store but the longballs and putting a body on Japan every time they tried to hold up the ball worked brilliantly.

I could go on and on but man, I haven't been this happy watching Korea play in a long time. This team is truly great. And CAN YOU IMAGINE WHEN WE ADD Lee Chungyong, Son HM, Shinwook, Hong Jongho(sucks he missed out on this esp. military exemption) to this team? It's a bright future.

2. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    One thing that struck me about this team was how they played with a philosophy, a system.

How many times have we been frustrated with the typical bbung chukgu hoof ball? We'd wait for one moment of brilliance or one lucky break to get us through matches.

This Olympics? We imposed our game on every team we played. Even when all seemed lost (KCS breaking his arm, JSR getting injured) we still came out on top. We didn't break ranks, we didn't lose character and we kept to the game plan. First choice LB and first choice GK off? Most teams would crumble. We didn't.

This is all due to HMB. His leadership + tactical skills are up there with the world's best. He showed his character as well by putting faith in PCY, a striker everyone in Korea ridiculed for the Monaco VISA fiasco. End result? PCY won us the bronze medal.

HMB to WC 2014 and beyond. I can't wait. This man is a hero.

3. edkwolverines

edkwolverines Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I literally shit everywhere in happiness.

Not really.

But actually.

HojuSaram, melonbarmonster and Mudang repped this.
  4. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    We seem to finally have a combination of gritty, talented young players who can take the pressure and a coach who knows what he is doing and manages what the game throws at the team rather than getting flustered and merely reacting.

Another thing Hong Myungbo did right: getting TWO PK's called against us and being 1-0 down we climb back. Instead of gunning it for that last goal, you knew that Hong was preparing, as he had been preparing the team all along, to play 120 minutes and then to PK. It wasn't uncertainty but firsthand knowledge of dynamics of tournament football.

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  5. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Seriously, just the fact that HMB picked PJY took absolute balls. The way he handled this whole fiasco showed real contrast to how CKH handled it. Not going to go into that any further...

6. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hong Jeong-ho might already get the military exemption due to torn ACL. In the past, there had been several players got military exemption with torn ACL. Hwang Sun-hong, Ko Jong-su, Lee Kwan-woo, Kim Hyung-beom to name a few.

7. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Btw, I think I've read from some posters that PJY wasn't very good today apart from the goal. Sure, I've seen him play better, but he was pretty damn good. He held the ball well, won every header and directed them well too, linked up well, and absolutely ridiculed the Japanese defense. He showed determination that he didn't show against GB.

jolim24601, melonbarmonster and Mudang repped this.
  8. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    BSK right now:

[​IMG]

jinseokyang repped this.
  9. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hodori and Mudang repped this.
  10. PepsiiiTwiSt

PepsiiiTwiSt New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    I cant believe I missed this match!

Does anyone know where I can watch the match again?

11. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Click on middle or right and see if you can catch replay.
    http://mytimon.com/

12. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wow. Someone would say that? PCY has never been the most active player on the planet even in form and fitness.

He WAS our offense for most of today. Being able to be target man, fast break playmaker and of course one man army on his goal....

smh

He made errors for sure but there were plenty across our team playing on a ripped up pitch and fatigued after so many grueling matches in a row

13. jolim24601

jolim24601 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    east coast
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Not only did he put in the first goal it was his trademark head flick that assisted koos finish. He caused all kinds of trouble in the air as usual. Andy carroll should become his pupil.

14. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    that would be so awesome... the fact that HJH missed out on exemption is really irritating me... it’s ruining the mood of pure happiness.

15. PepsiiiTwiSt

PepsiiiTwiSt New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Doesn't the whole Olympics squad get the exemption or is it only the ones that played in the Bronze match?

16. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    How explicitly do you think HMB told his players that he wanted them to put the fear of God into Yuki Otsu?

olijolly, Gjak1117 and Sons of Thunder repped this.
  17. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Everyone on the 18 man squad gets exemption b/c HMB made sure they all saw minutes on the pitch during the tournament.

18. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Very obvious. We beat the shit out of him like it was a taekwondo match.

19. PepsiiiTwiSt

PepsiiiTwiSt New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    So what's jinseokyang talking about?

20. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hong Jeong Ho did not play in the tourney as he tore up his knee right before the games started.

21. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    구자철은 "'독도는 우리 땅' 세리머니를 하려고 했는데 당연히 우리 땅인 것을 표현하는 것은 유치하다고 생각했다"며 "기성용이 광복절을 앞두고 만세삼창을 하자고 해서 그냥 그대로 했다"고 말했다.

:cool:

22. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    HJH out b/c of a torn ACL - he's the captain of this team and got the team through qualification.

The other two were initially selected for the final squad but had to be replaced from the 18 man squad the week before the Olympics due to injury.

23. PepsiiiTwiSt

PepsiiiTwiSt New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Oh ok, thanks for the explanations ^^

24. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    FK NBC!

What the hell was that? "Japan... who were the better team overall in the tournament but not today"

What are they talking about? They just sound so stupid.... why would you say such cr@p?

25. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    OMG they beat Spain! They so good! They scored three past EGYPT while Korea struggled against great Britain ! Japan MUST be the better side right?
    We had much harder opposition. So we didn't score many goals but this guy has clearly not watched many Korea matches. Fck nbc