Post-match: Korea vs Iran 2022 FIFA WCQ AFC (Mar 2022)

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Lionel Richie, Mar 5, 2022.

Tags:
?

What result do you predict?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2022.
  1. Korea will win.

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. It will be a tie.

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Iran will win.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Venue:

Seoul World Cup Stadium, Seoul, Korea

Time zone:

Australian Eastern Time,
    Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 22:00 AEDT
    Korea Standard Time, Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 20:00 KST
    Central European Time, Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 12:00 CET
    Greenwich Mean Time, Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 11:00 GMT
    Atlantic Time, Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 08:00 AST
    Eastern Time, Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 07:00 EST
    Pacific Time, Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 04:00 PST

Time Zone Converter – Time Difference Calculator (timeanddate.com)

Broadcaster:

tvN

2. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hwang In-beom won't be able to play

This is worrisome

3. Reach24

Reach24 Member

South Korea FC
    South Korea
    May 2, 2012
    Korea Republic
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hope bento starts Kim jin gyu. He plays like HIB.

4. Reach24

Reach24 Member

South Korea FC
    South Korea
    May 2, 2012
    Korea Republic
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Taremi and Jahanbakhsh will be out vs us due to covid. Hoping for a speedy recovery for them but this is a great advantage for us since those 2 players mentioned are the best players for Iran esp Taremi. Hope we can win so we can elevate our fifa rankings and enter pot 3 for world cup seedings.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran will miss 5 players, 4 who are fixed starters: Taremi (Covid), Jahanbakhsh (Covid), Eszatollahi (yellow cards suspension), Moharami (red card suspension), along with a first choice offensive substitute, Ghodoos). The biggest absentee will definitely be Taremi, our best player and the guy who could really unbalance the Korean defense.

S. Korea will now definitely be favored against Iran. You would have to be jinxed against us not to beat Iran under these conditions. After our upcoming match, I may no longer be able to say any of the following: 1- South Korea has never ever defeated Iran in a world cup qualifier in S. Korea 2- last time S. Korea beat Iran in any competitive official match in 90-minute regulation was in 1993 (and adding even friendlies, in 2005) 3- the last time S.Korea beat Iran at all was in 2011, in extra time at the 2011 Asian Cup.

6. mk27

mk27 Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Any streams for this game later?

7. mk27

mk27 Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Any streams?

8. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sorry. I don't know any. I'm watching from Korea.

This one just shows the live score and possession:

Son Heung-min scored at the 45+2 minute with a powerful shot from outside the penalty box! The ball bounced off from the Iranian goalkeeper and went in.

Korea is winning 1-0!

9. Reach24

Reach24 Member

South Korea FC
    South Korea
    May 2, 2012
    Korea Republic
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SHM with a goal. That was a powerful shot. A lot of mistakes from us though. I think we can score more goals with the way we play.

10. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Soon after the second half began, Korea had some good chances, all blocked by the Iranian goalkeeper Abedzadeh.

11. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Defense player Kim Young-gwon scores the second goal at the 63rd minute!!!

Korea is now winning 2-0!

12. Reach24

Reach24 Member

South Korea FC
    South Korea
    May 2, 2012
    Korea Republic
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    GOAL BY KIM YOUNG GWON!!!

13. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    FW Cho Gue-sung substitutes for Hwang Ui-jo.

Good defense by Kim Min-jae.

Park Ji-soo substitutes for Kim Min-jae.

14. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Heading shot by Iran's #20 Sardar Azmoun. GK Kim Seung-gyu catches it.

15. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Iran's #9 Allahyar Sayyadmanesh was on front of Kim Seung-gyu and made a shot. Fortunately, the shot went wide.

16. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    DF Kim Tae-hwan intercepts and makes a long dribble ahead. After a few passes, Son Heung-min makes a shot but gets blocked by an Iranian defender.

86' Kwon Kyung-won substitutes for Kwon Chang-hoon.

86' Amirhossein Hosseinzadeh substutes for Vahid Amiri.

86' Karim Ansarifard substitutes for Sardar Azmoun.

17. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Full time.

Korea wins 2-0.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    congratulations. S. Korea were the better side and deservedly won. Under to totality of circumstances, what Iran couldn't afford was to give S. Korea the lead to have a realistic chance in this game. Unfortunately, our goalie fumbled Son's powerful shot right when it seemed the game would end scoreless at the half. In the 2nd half, with the lead, S.Korea were able to create more chances and get another goal.

This is a good S.Korea team, but Korea still has problems defensively when its pressed. Fix that problem, and A.Korea will be able to represent the AFC very well in Qatar. I'm sure Iran will be fine too, even though we were poor today, especially after our forced substitution in the right FB position.

19. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 AIL1998, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Congrats to south Korea for the win. I am really happy for you guys. I was able to watch only the first half. The injury of Khalilzadeh in first half, the absence of Taremi, Jahanbakhsh, and Ghoddos, and the suspension of Moharrami and Ezatollahi really impacted on us, but Korea deserved it. I think south Korea wanted the win more and it was your destined to win this one. Congrats to you again.

Bluewings21 and Lionel Richie repped this.
  20. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Very easy win for Korea, honestly they could have won it 4-0. Iran didn't manage to beat them at Tehran with all their players so I didn't imagine them beating Korea on their own soil. Without their injuries, Iran would have still lost because the gap between the 2 teams was enormous today. Korea, even without SHM, would be able to threaten Iran because they have the qualities on their bench to do so.

21. hodoriman

hodoriman Member

May 16, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #21 hodoriman, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Not only did this win likely seal a pot 3 for the World Cup, but Iran has had our number the past few years. It feels really good to see a dominating performance against them.

Having said that, I don't think it's at all clear which team in Asia is the best. The gaps between Korea, Iran, and Japan are small, indeed. Korea recently lost to Japan 3-0 against our B team, but I don't think we are inferior to Japan. Iran lost to Korea 2-0 with their B team, but Iran isn't necessarily inferior to us. We do have the best player in Asia, no doubt, but you would have to split hairs to say one team is definitely better than another.

If the Asian teams stay healthy, there's a real chance at least two of them make it to the knockout rounds, maybe- if the stars align- one to the final eight.

Congrats to Korea and Iran for dominating this group.

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  22. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I think at the present time, this Korean team is ahead of Iran.
    Unfortunately Iran lacks a strong midfield, and defensively they have a lot to work with.
    Korea on the other hand has stepped up their game, and it will ve interesting and exciting to see what Korea can do in Qatar.

Congratulations on the win and topping the group, much deserved.

Kamtedrejt, Bluewings21 and Hyok repped this.
  23. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Our defense was garbage as soon as KMJ got subbed out. We almost conceded 2 goals. We are too dependent on KMJ imo, but what other options do we have? He's a monster.

HHC was my MOM. I really liked KTH too.

SHM has missed so many big chances even at Spurs. He should've scored 3 goals at least today.

jessypjs repped this.
  24. hodoriman

hodoriman Member

May 16, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It is disturbing to see the defense change so drastically with one substitution. KMJ is probably our second most important player after Son. I except to see him in a Power 5 league this fall, making an impact.

As for Son, he missed some sitters today for sure. But that last whiff at the ball near the end of the game looked like a man dead tired.

25. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Absence of Taremi was huge. That alleviated some pressure off from shoulders of Kim Min-jae, argurably our best defensive player. Kim could focus on duel against Azmoun. But we still had some trouble against Iran's pressure. We need to fix this before heading into Qatar on November. However, overall we played solid football for 90 minutes.

Good luck to Iran as well in the World Cup final. You have some potent scoring threat this time which should help keep you in the game against world's best. Lack of firepower obviously bit your back in the previous WCs.