Kolo Toure

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by soccer_stallion32, Apr 14, 2006.

1. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    I just want to ask some hardcore Arsenal fans a question. I dont get a chance to see Arsenal play on a regular basis as here in Canada I am restirced to what sportsnet decides to show and that could be anything from Arsenal-Man U to Sunderlan vs Birmigham.

My question is would it be a crime against humanity (or just Chelsea and England fans :p ) to say that Kolo is a better player than John Terry?

Toure is much improved this season and even with Campbell out has led the charge with what one could say not the most experienced of partners. The fact that you guys have yet to concede a goal in the CL since the one of the early matches in the group stage has also got to be mentioned when thinking of this season's achievements. Not to mention with only 26 goals allowed (just six shy of the champions elect) in what can be said to be a domestic season to forget for the Gunners am I wrong in thinking that Toure has had a big hand in that?

From what I have seen this season he has more mobility than Terry and seems to be much more decisive with his feet when making the tackle. he is a al hustle no nonsense defender and everytime I see him play I like him more. Maybe I am just catching Terry on the wrong days but when I see him he just doesnt seem to shine for me he is still a very good defender but watching Yakubu give him such a torrid time in the Middlesborough game in Februrary reall took his stock down in my book, not to mention what Ronaldinho did to him in the Nour Camp.

I would really like your opinion on this guys, thanks.

2. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Hell no. Toure certainly is faster but his defensive abilities pales in comparision to Terry. Toure is error prone at times while Terry hardly makes any error. And Terry is a million times better in the air than Toure.

3. Stag133

Stag133 New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Lowell, MA USA
    I think Kolo is fantastic. He can only get better as well. And I'd really love to see us get his brother Yaya... but better than John Terry?
    Ummm... no way. Terry is a ROCK defensively and he and Lampard are what that team are build around.

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    They're very different players. Toure is a lot more like Gallas than he is like Terry (although not quite as good). That being said, however, Toure has had an absolutely amazing season, and he's been, in my opinion, the 4the 4th best defender in the EPL this season.

5. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    Gallas>Terry>Toure

the thing about defenders is that in a low-scoring game such as soccer there's often little difference between a great defender and a legendary one.

6. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    legendary defenders usually stay at one club and win trophies/cups over a longtime. eg. kaiser, maldini, baresi, gentile, adams, o'leary, hapgood, krol, fachetti, etc.

if lazio were not so suicidal and italy not so unlucky, nesta would of claimed name to this group already. i think thats more then a little difference.

7. OklahomaGunner

Dec 21, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I can say undoubtedly that NO ONE likes Kolo, or rates him, any more than myself but Terry is the ONLY Chelsea player I completely and totally respect. Dude is a rock, and just wills his team to wins sometimes. I think the world of John Terry...though I'd kick his 10 teammates squarely in their (wo)manhood given the chance. :)

8. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    i should've said that in a SINGLE GAME there's OFTEN little difference.

9. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    well thats an obvious point because you cant tell the difference between defenders unless that defender makes a horrendous mistake.

defenders dont get judged like strikers do. sure strikers win games, midfielders dominate games but defenders(and goalkeepers) win you championships.

sure without toure we would get by 1 game here or there but over the course of this season we would be fcuked without the ivory coast guard.

10. Clockend

Clockend New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    London
    Don't rate Terry very highly.

I'd take Kolo over him in the Arsenal team every time.

Gallas is the best defender at Chelsea.

11. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do rate Terry highly but agree that Toure offers strengths to Arsenal that Terry doesn't have. Now a Terry-Toure CB pair...:cool: ;)

12. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    I was also thinking along the same lines after making the post. They are just a tad too different to compare as they do not play the same style of game nor do their teams really operate on the same system. I also like Terry he is a good solid defender, I was just wondering what you guys thought of the matter. Thank you all for your responses.

Toure's rep will rise a solid amount if he is able to lead Arsenal into the CL finals. Knowing from experience Arsenal should not have a problem with Villa. As long as they play a good game at home and a tight game away like they have done all season I see no reason why they shouldnt make the finals. Should they manage to win it Toure and Henry would go down as gods in Aresnal history.........that is if Henry is not already in that category.

13. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    if we won the CL Toure wouldn't be one of the first 2 immortalized. my guess is that the whole team would reap the rewards with Henry slightly more acclaimed than the first among equals.

14. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kolo is an amazing player and good defender. (Kolo can play just about anywhere on the pitch).
    Terry is a excellent defender.

I think Kolo is more athletic, but Terry is better with head (great footie mind and also damn fine at heading the ball).

15. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    Terry is like Adams, not very fast but very very clever

16. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    If we win the CL, Henry would surely get player of the year award?

17. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    4th best defender or 4th best CB ?