Kolo Toure--player of the season so far

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by naggi, Nov 9, 2003.

1. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    With the season almost 1/3 over, I am just amazed at how well Kolo Toure has done for us. He has started every game, made no mistakes that I can recall and played with humility and passion. He is my current favorite player.

Although he did not come throught the youth system, he still bided his time in the reserves until the chance came. For those who say that Arsene does not give youth a chance, here is a prime example of how to take your chance and to make it into the first team.

2. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Funny that I see this post here. I was talking about the exact same thing with another person today. I was really worried about the second central defender before the season starte, but the emergence of Kolo has subsided that surprisingly well. Thumbs up to the man.

3. chicago_fan

chicago_fan New Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Agree 100%. The thought of flip-flopping Keown and Cygan in the second defender position had me nervous before Kolo landed the job...funny though, no one talking about Sol.

I never thought by this point we'd be talking about how great the back line is and not mentioning Sol's name over and over.

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not 100% sold yet, but he is winning me over.

Kolo is doing better with each passing match and we really haven't conceded that many goals in a match, so far this season.

Keep up the good work, Kolo.

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The most improved player in the side this year definitely. I hated it when he used to be picked in midfield and at full-back, but he's making a good fist of the centre-half position. He has some natural atheliticism and as long as he doesn't get carried away, keeps it simple and keeps learning from the likes of Campbell and Keown he may turn into a good defender.

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. He's been a pleasant surprise thus far even to the extent that you see much more talk in this forum about the necessity of finding a strike partner for Henry as opposed to the talk this summer that we desperately needed another center back. Still....if Mexes can be had for a decent price.....;)

7. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Van Buyton from Marseille

This has nothing to do with the goal he scored sunday.. but Van Buyton seems to be a legit centrehalf.. I've seen a few matches of Marseille and he seemed to be a stopper in the back four.. i have no clue what the transfer fee for the guy would be.. but he is tall, big, and intimidating.. belgian i think.. anyways.. Toure is holding his own for now. .better than Campbell im afraid..

phishy~

8. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    There is absolutely no need to talk about central defenders. Kolo is doing an awesome job, and is only going to get better. Sol started this season slow, but has been pretty solid himself lately. With Sendros also available, the last thing the club needs is another defender to take playing opportunities away from him. The pressing need is for a stiker who can put away the opportunities that Henry can create.

9. yankeeSOT

yankeeSOT New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    San Francisco
    Yeah Kolo has come up huge this campaign. He has both strength and great foot speed. And you could see right off since his first game that he's a Gunner through and through. He's always in the mix when there's trouble. I think he's taken to the position better than any of us could hope for, especially for someone his age.

Hey naggi, you go to the Mad Dog in SF??

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Van Buyton from Marseille

he is belgian indeed and would likely cost you somewhere between 12 and 18 million euro i'm afraid