Koeman To Be Sacked?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by ArnoldVDH, Nov 4, 2004.

1. ArnoldVDH

ArnoldVDH New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Behind My PC
    A few weeks ago, Van Gaal walked out after the board refused to back him over Koeman. It could well be that Koeman gets the sack now due to continuous poor performances on the field.

So do you think that Van Gaal should have been kept on and Koeman should have been fired in stead, or are you glad that both may well be gone from the club? Do you think that Koeman should stay, considering the Ajax board made life difficult for him by selling Ibrahimovich and finding no replacement? If Koeman does go, who do you think should take his place?

2. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    Should Koeman be fired? No, not just yet. I think that the board really screwed him over with the whole Ibrahimovic issue, and he deserves a chance to show his mettle after the winter transfer window. If he still stinks with whatever new talent he brings in, well then it's time to reconsider.

I still think that if Koeman goes, I would like to see Co Adriaanse come back (yah right) or John van den Brom take over the reins (although I think that he is tied up with the national team if I'm not mistaken). Just as Ajax develops talent through their academy, I think that they should do the same with their coaches - start them in the lower tiers and work their way up.

Of course my long-term wish would be for Frank Rijkaard to leave Barcelona and take over the helm. Another wild thought in my head is for Ajax to go out on a limb and hire an English (!) coach like Terry Venables, Kevin Keegan or Graeme Souness (if he doesn't stick with Newcastle). All 3 would bring a different approach to the club; a house with stale air often needs the windows thrown open to bring in fresh, healthy air.

3. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    Wow based on my last couple of ideas, if I had my way:

1. An Englishman would be head coach of Ajax
    2. Adrian Mutu would be with Ajax as a 'project'

I think I need to get off the medication that I am taking... ;)

4. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam
    whatever they do, they have to stop playing Rafi as the central striker.
    He has been horrible
    I think they should really try to get Koller, though not if he costs too much.

5. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
  6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well after changing his team on eight positions last week he literally said something like: if this doesn't work I'll have to take responsibility come christmas. So if they're not doing any better by then he'll resign.

7. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam

I think Koeman can't be blamed for everything. It's the poor form of almost all the players that is the real reason. Also, I think if you give Koeman a semi-decent striker in the winter than the team will be fine.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I disagree. Sneijder, Sonck, Van der Vaart all acted up against him in public. He clearly has no authority.

9. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think that by the winter break,he will resign,or be sacked. Ajax,will still need a striker,as well as a new coach.
    Koeman's problems with his players,usally does not happen on Netherland Club teams.... just on the National team!! :eek:
    Ajax's problems does seem to help my team though! :cool:

10. AjaxGunner

AjaxGunner New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    The point is he can't be blamed for EVERYTHING. The public haranguing is nothing new at Ajax; would this really change if someone barring Cruyff took the reigns? Has Van Basten gotten the respect he's due from Seedorf? The players, including the three culprits you named, should be looking in the mirror and grow up. As you painfully pointed out before, probably the main reason VdV hasn't moved on is that he's underperformed for the past 2 seasons. (I don't think I need to list the changes that have occurred that have undermined him.)

Hey, A-J-A-X, maybe you should START taking medication ;) . I disagree with you on Mutu, but at least you're trying; it's not like I have any better ideas. Bring back Denny Landzaat? ;) I mean who would have thought that Co might actually look like a good idea, not that he'd ever want to come back? I'm not giving up hope for this year...just yet.

11. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree.
    he appears to have no authority.
    he does dumb things by officially saying player x (referring to keepers in this case) is #1, but that makes him look stupid when one player later does better and he questions himself.
    he sticks players in the wrong position.
    and he is terrible at buying players.

12. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, no he has not, but then again, he hasnt even called seedorf into camp.

good point, but this backs up johan's statement. a good coach would have the balls to sit raffy.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm guessing Van Basten indeed has the respect of Seedorf considering that the day after he was appointed bondscoach he said that he would never call him up.

Ajax has very young players who clearly need a bit of old-fashioned discipline that Koeman can't give them. Of course you can't blame him for everything. But as the manager he has responsibility and needs to take it. That's just the way football works.

14. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Well I for one hope Koeman stays. I think he deserves a last chance to show what he can do with these kids. I think they should keep him atleast untill summer and maybe longer depending on the results.

15. AjaxGunner

AjaxGunner New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    I basically agree with both of you, astaboot and JN; just pissed that he'll be made the scapegoat in the event he does go. Rant over. Tomorrow's match may decide it.

16. Duniyadnd

Duniyadnd New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    If he had quality in depth to the extent of Raffy.

As for VdV, he's just a kid, emotionally. For the fact that he's a captain and he couldn't keep the squad squabbles within the changing room vs. Ibrahimovic just shows how immature he is.

Ajax needs that one leader on the pitch who doesn't like to be in front of the media everyday.

As for Koeman getting fired, does our opinion matter anymore? It seems that Koeman wants long term benefits for Ajax, I'm all for that, rather than short term.

17. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    Good point. The Ibrahimovic issue was a big issue which VDV as captain should have dealt with privately. And he failed.

18. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    I really don't think it would help that much if Koeman would leave. The biggest issue is with the players, and maybe that another trainer could handle this a bit better. But that wouldn't really chance much in the field, just a bit less Ajax in the papers. I think it would be better for both Koeman and the players if they got through this together.
    The only thing that might have gone better with another coach would be transfers, but this isn't just Koeman.