Knee Brace Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Player' started by illdthedj, Nov 3, 2009.

1. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats up!

So its been about 4 months since my knee surgery for a torn meniscus.
    Twisted my knee (twice within a few months lol) from playing hard after not playing for years (doh). If you know about meniscus injuries (circular shock absorber sponge knee cartilage) i actually had two tears, one they just cut smooth and one they repaired with sutures....apparently when they fix it, its good because its fixed but bad because it takes way longer to heal. Anyway ive been doing extensive physical therapy by myself, and 2 months thru a exercise program called p90x to get fit again, especially the core and lower body before i go play soccer. Just play a little keepy up by myself lately to develop touch again, but no actual playing (dont want to rush into things).

Oh btw i had sprained my MCL previous to this whole meniscus ordeal lol

So, to my question:

Does anyone who still plays after a knee injury have a knee brace they play in and recommend? Specifically, anyone with MCL and/or meniscus injuries? does it help?

Now, Ive heard from a good amount of sources braces dont protect your knee, some people says it helps....although one doctor i talked to who had a much worse knee injury and still plays soccer says he wears a knee brace, although more of a reminder while playing to take it easy on that side or something.

If you have had knee injuries in the past and still play and think a knee brace dosn't help, let me know too and why.

mainly im wondering if theres some bad ass knee brace that gives you robo cop knee or something lol

any help/advice appreciated.

ps. im joining and indoor league in January, so im still really trying to get the knee as strong as possible before playing. By Jan. it would be 6 months from the surgery, so i think thats long enough wait.

2. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best response is to talk with your MD. S/he will have the most practical information related to your knee and will get you outfitted correctly.

3. braine

braine Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Belgium
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I had a meniscusinjury almost 20 years ago at age 22.They removed a piece of the meniscus by an operation.I didnt play for 7months and started to play again with a kneebrace until a quit playing at age 28.
    I had the feeling the brace makes my knee more solid,and I felt good about it ,thats all I can say.
    I remind that some other players also use them after a bad kneeinjury...
    But in the highest level I cant remind someone using them ...
    Perhaps their surgeons are much better....