Klose or Gomez, who should start for Germany?

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Loddar, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Loddar

Loddar Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Herzogenaurach
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    CanStriker: We are all well informed football followers here.;)
    Therefore I don´t think the poll will be affected too much by popular opinion (which is btw imo still more anti Gomez from non Bayern supporters side)

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To be honest, from afar, both options lack attributes that would complement the rest of the side completely. Klose for one is getting older. He runs more than Gomez on and off the ball but he gets tired far quicker and around the 60th minute mark you will not see the same amount of running off the ball as you do in the opening stages of the match. His technical abilities however are better than Gomez's. He traps the ball better, links up better or is generally more prone to play in tight spaces and play from outside the box.

Gomez while he lacks Klose close-proximity game, he's a more instinctive striker, always looking to occupy the space where the ball will end up. His physical size and build are better against more powerful central defenders. Still, for his size, he has a fairly below average hold up game when his back is to goal and he is far more unpredictable when he is given an opportunity. He will score like he did yesterday but when presented with an open goal he will rocket it over. In general that can lead to a mistrust in those around him who will more often look to pass to Klose in the build up rather than Gomez.

I think Gomez has gotten infinitely better than where he was two years ago but I think his game for the National team is still fairly unpredictable (keeping in mind it's perfect for Bayern but it's a different approach for both sides altogether) His confidence is higher and lends itself to turns and shooting from angles he didn't normally attempt. I think he's really close in overtaking Klose actually and is simply another good season and a few more starts and goals away from doing so. It's much more likely that Klose will hit a poor patch considering the club he plays for and Gomez will likely reach the latter stages of the CL. It's certainly a closer gap than say, between a Mertesacker and Hummels who have also seemingly been in competition for one spot.

Ultimately however I think the most suitable choice for this role for Germany is someone inbetween Klose and Gomez; a striker whose technique matches those of Oezil, Goetze, Schuerrle without losing the ability inside the box. Someone who will encourage the wide players to cut in and interchange, to play in tight spaces and make the occasional dummy run. This is why I've always been in favor of trying someone like Mueller or Schuerrle in the role because the setup lends itself to a false 9 structure because of the nature of the players. It's a far too risky endeavor for Loew and we will likely never see it.

3. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can anyone take all the Klose goals in this qualifiers and compare to the Gomez goals?

Did Klose have to take on any defender for any of his goals Like Gomez did vs Turkey and Kompany?

How many of Kloses goals were outside the box?
    I also remember a long range strike from Gomez vsAzerbaija I think

4. Donauwelle

Donauwelle Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Müller is the wrong choice as a striker. He needs space and the game in front of him. You take about all what is special from him if you put him in front. What a waste!

Why don't we try him as the right defender? He has 3 weeks to learn the job prior to the Euros and I am sure he will be the best right defender we ever had... ;)

5. Loddar

Loddar Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Herzogenaurach
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @SirM: You should choose the third option then.
    Btw the striker you seem to think of must be on Messi´s level...;)

Müller imo clearly lacks the physical ability to be a lone striker. He also would be marked way tighter as striker and couldn´t change positions so well, which would take away a lot of his unpredictability and his "stealth" mode ability. Surely he would give more assists to other players in that positions though. Too bad his prime target (Gomez or Klose) wouldn´t be there...
    So well he really should just be a last resort in that position.

And well Gomez technique and link up is not really worse than Klose´s imo, as long as Gomez feels "loved" and nobody "disses" him.:cool:;)

6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The 3rd option is to see which under-18 striker predator Kirsten currently has his eye on

As for the poll, Gomez by a margin. I wasn't sure he would be better beforehand however, Klose is a world class striker in the national team no doubt about it. Gomez however is better than him, esp if he can replicate his club form to NT form, & in the past few matches it looks that way.

7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Awful idea

8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mueller was an example. I'm not sure I'd be ready to throw him into the center just yet. I've always been a big pusher of him playing in that RWF role, he's ideal there for the time being. Someone like Schuerrle is similar on the left. He just thrives cutting in, in a very Henry-esque way. The point is really that said option isn't available at the moment.

A riskier endeavor would be to alter the shape completely and allow someone like Reus to play the false nine. He's shown at Gladbach that he can take that on when asked despite it not being his tactical position for most matches. Still, it's way too radical for Loew and Germany as a whole and would mean a departure from tradition. It really says more about the lack of options upfront at the moment.

9. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Messi is an average player for the national team, similar to the other World Player of the Year Ronaldo. So no, the last thing Germany needs is players who can't do it at national level.

/awaits excuses on why the team is at fault rather than Ronaldo/Messi when they flop at international level

Both Klose and Gomez offer far more than Messi at international level, but yes SirM's striker is basically a magical one. Mostly because such a player does not exist (bar Messi for Barcelona only).

:Facepalm emoticon missing

10. Loddar

Loddar Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Herzogenaurach
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well let´s say that´s at least creative thinking... Imo not really practical or worthwhile though. If neither Gomez nor Klose should be able to play for some reason, I would even bring in Petersen or some of "Kirsten´s boys" before trying something like that.

11. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mario Gomez Jardel has a long way to go before anyone is scared of him on the big stage. Not saying he couldn't get there as he happens to be going in the right direction in developing a high quality all-round game. Klose is feared and respected by defenders internationally and provides Germany with a varied mode of attack. The only way Gomez can justify being selected first right now is by scoring for Germany at the terrific rate he does for bayern, not really by doing so at a rate lower than who he is trying to displace.

12. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mario Gomez has hit a good run of form with the NT over the past few games, but Klose has been doing that for over 7-8 years now. This wouldn't even be a question if Klose did not have the amazing goal:game ratio that he does. I think Klose offers better off-the-ball movement, link-up play (see his pass to Müller for Podolski's goal in the WC game against England) and a whole lot more experience.

Add to this the fact that Klose has found his club form again, and I don't think there's much doubt. When at Bayern, Klose played terribly for the club while still managing to deliver for the NT, and I think this has made people forget that he earned his place in the NT playing strong club football in the first place. The age thing isn't really an argument either. People thought he was already finished by the time WC 2010 came around, and he didn't do half bad in that tournament. Right now, Klose already offers us a strong number of goals (which is Mario's forte) along with added benefits.

On the whole, I think we are very lucky to be able to make this decision between two world class strikers. Personally, I think it should be Miro for the Euros and Gomez after them, but we still have some practice games ahead of the Euros to make that decision.

13. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    lasogga looks like a good prospect, kid has great movement.

14. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    totally agreed. but gomez has been doing terrifically anyway, very dangerous infront of goal and his bayern reputation will certainly carry onto the euro if he maintains it this season.

15. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klose is so feared by defenders that he actually flopped in Bayern shirt for 4yrs.

4 goals at the world cup 1 vs Aussie, 1 vs Matthew Upson, 2 vs Argentina that were virtually tap ins on the goal line.

2002 He totally dominated Saudi defenders, 2006 It was Costa Ricas turn

16. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You think so? I thought he would be a possible NT prospect, but I now find him sluggish.

17. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're unimpressed with these performances, but you couldn't list a single major international instance where it's Gomez who is doing the he total domination on anything besides the grass he runs on. 4 goals in one World Cup as an over-the-hill flopping striker is still greater than 0 goals.

18. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And forget the type of play Klose has brought into the side too, consistently in virtually four different sides (02-04, 06, 08, 10) he has managed to adapt and play the same quality... Yea it's just the goals against those small time players and countries that count in the end. What utter nonsense.

19. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Gotta agree that Lasogga is kinda limited but he is a great poacher and a clinical predator for goals

his positioning and instinct for goals can't be taught. He is slow n clumsy, yes, but i think his main responsibility as a CF is to score and he can do it pretty well. Its way more important than having pace n agility

Lasogga ha 3 goals and 2 assists in 6 games this season. Consider its his first ever Bundesliga season, i m more than impressed. And lets dont forget he's just 19 and started his professional career last season

20. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As previous posters have said, Klose has maintained his high quality and rate of return in ever-changing sides - the same guy who scored five goals in the 2002 side scored only one fewer in the completely different 2010 vintage. He is finding his form again at club level for Lazio, and I think he should be - at the moment at least - the man to take the finisher's position at the Euros.

As I have written here and elsewhere, Mario came on strong in the last couple of games with two impressive strikes and - what impressed me most - a key role in some fast build-up play that led to Schürrle's goal against Belgium. However, he still needs to sharpen up on the tight half-chances where he always seems to take one touch too many, mis-hit it with his shins or whack it high into row Z - here Klose is delivered again and again.

Klose may lack Gomez' raw pace, but plays more than a significant part in the tight build-up process when on the ball. A neat touch, a cute shimmy, a backheel - watch for instance the game against Brazil. Would Gomez have produced that neat little backheel to keep the play going? I'd say not - he probably would have stumbled over the ball in trying to work it back into the box. Would he have been able to produce the neat one-two with Kroos that led to Götzinho's goal? Nah. He would have probably shinned it.

I am not having a go at Mario here - as a Bayern supporter I want to see the guy do well and establish what should should be a long and healthy career where he may well eventually threaten the Gerd Müller record himself. But although he is building his confidence and improving, he does not quite offer the multi-dimensional level of play that Miro offers.

Of course, if he continues his momentum through the rest of the season and is primed to blow away everyone in sight come summertime, then that's a different story. It's just that at the moment he is still slightly behind.

21. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's pure bias behaviour. Have you watched the Germany vs Berlgium match? Did you see the one-two with Özil in much tighter space at way higher speed as the one you mentioned, where Klose was used like a tree in that one-two.:rolleyes:

22. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agree here with every word. Gomez will probably take over after the euro even if Klose is still playing this well because of the age factor, and by that time Gomez will hopefully be a better all-round player himself so that we won't miss Klose.

23. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What a completely ridiculous statement, and what a shocker that it comes from Squidward. :rolleyes: There is no award that you win by bringing fear in opponents as you will claim. No magical + that a team gains from bringing fear. It's a rather blank statement. It's also hilarious that you make a joke about Gomez being Spanish Germany would hold both titles currently. You do realize Klose has been one of the biggest flops at international stage at semi-finals and finals correct? He along with Bollocks have flopped miserably at this level.. the 2 heroes of Germany the past decade. Well I guess this is why this German generation has been such looser-like team that is the type of the Dutch, more hype than actual results.

Am I saying here that Klose will continue his looser/awful performances in semi-final & finals again if Germany manage to go there? No, of course not for all I know he could be MOTM in both matches and score important goals then as well. However to laugh off at someone else for this exact reason shows what a sad, sad fanboy you are.

It's also kind of sad seeing so many people are trying to belittle one player over the other constantly to make their point. Both will be good choices, both will have a good Euro Cup, because both are great players (Klose only international level). The question who can add that bit of extra?!.. Currently I think Gomez, but then again I thought Klose had the edge a while back. So who knows now, I still stick to my opinion that the opinion should be made soon before Euro 2012 arrives.

24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klose:

1. FCK Amateure: 26 goals in 2 years
    1. FCK Profis: 44 goals in 4 years
    Werder Bremen: 53 goals in 3 years
    Bayern München: 24 goals in 4 years

he was never the regular forward in a 1-forward system in any club at any time. He proofed a whole year day in day out he's worse than Gomez. The handful of tourney matches he played could easily be a fluke, a good run etc.

Gomez has ~ 10 goals out of the last 10 NT matches. He also delivered assists, build up and much more defense work than Klose - have you ever seen klose heading a corner out of our own penaly area?..

Gomez has like 51 goals in the last 47 matches for club and country, including CL (8/8 last season 2/2 this season).

Klose is a decent forward who fits in the NT. Gomez is an outstanding forward, the best since Rummenigge by facts and he could easily better than him in the future. He also brings this performances at the NT on a regular basis since over a year. fact.

Gomez > Klose

Easiest decision in the current squad list and Löw also knows this.

25. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Read my last post before you go off on the keyboard dude....