Klinsmann under scrutiny

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by kickinthehead, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
  2. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i cant understand why klinsmann is treated so harshly? what has he done wrong? the guy has a big heart to make the choice that he made (lehmann number 1). earler favorites lke hitzfeld couldn't make such a decision.
    he is shrewed and he knows today's soccer you need pace unlike his predecessors. soccer has changed over the last decade no pace no chance

3. Lionhead

Lionhead New Member

May 3, 2006
    Giesing Heights
    Klinsmann hasn't done much wrong so far, but has he delivered on innovation of style and reducing the gap to teams like Brazil, Italy, Portugal or Argentina?

NO. Not much has changed since the days of Voeller, Ribbeck. He's largely relying on players which have already failed to impress in past tournaments (Neuville, Kehl, Schneider, Frings). He's talking about a "generational shift". This has never happened. Podolski and Schweinsteiger are shooting stars neutralised by this antiquated kick-run-kick style of the older players. Pace is important, but we're not talking about sprinters in a 100m race.

Lehmann or Kahn wasn't such a big decision. Both are world class. Hitzfeld didn't take the job, because he would have been judged on his success with Bayern and Dortmund and that's one thing Klinsmann doesn't have to worry about.

4. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    If the Confed cup was a better indication of the style of play that Germany is going to offer because it was a tournament and unlike friendlies, matches were competitive, I think Germany has entered into a stage of noticeable transformation which is different from Voeller's and Ribbeck's era.

Pivotal players like Ballack, Klose, Kahn, Lehmann and Frings cannot be ignored because they have the skill and experience to calm down the young nerves. Yet you can also see the uprising stars: Poldi, Piggy, Lahm, Janzen, Hildebrandt, Borowski, Mertesacker, Owomoyela ...

So this is a new fashion Germany which is exciting and pleasant to watch.

5. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Lionhead, i really don't get that line of criticism. What's Klinsmann supposed to do, call up the whole U21 squad ? Just how many realistic contenders are there, who are not included in the current line up yet ?

Youth development has been extremely poor over about a decade, improvements are just starting to kick in. Many Bundesliga club coaches outright suck and quite a bunch of German internationals have little or no competition at the club level. Klinsmann can't singelhandedly change that.

6. Lionhead

Lionhead New Member

May 3, 2006
    Giesing Heights
    Don't fool yourself, Bayerntone! The confed cup is still a low rated FIFA spectacle. This hype created around the NT was nothing else but a bubble that burst when Italy crushed them 4:1! I noticed that you named in Kahn, Lehmann and Frings three players renowned for their temper tantrums. They're not even able to calm down their own nerves. As to the rising stars:
    Poldi & Schweini yes. The rest: maybes or nos

7. Zwanzigoetzel

Zwanzigoetzel New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    USA
    I don't agree. In general yes, the confed cup has historically been a tournament of second squads, but not last year. Close to all teams including Argentina and Brazil came with their number one roster so that as per my opinion it was indeed an indicator of where Germany stands compared to the "big boys".

As far as talents, I have to say that Schweinsteiger is the best we have got, followed by Podolski. I think that Poldi will really shine once he is playing with a international competitive team like Bayern.

8. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    But the confed cup is still a much better event to test the strength of your armour than friendlies.

Kahn, Lehmann are known for their fits of temperamental outbursts which are most viciously directed at their opponents. Their experience can surely help giving the young lads how to man-marking and positioning their defense better.

They had a streak of poor forms after the confed cup. Particularly in Italy where they were crushed. But that was a good lesson leading to the urgent call for an experienced CB after the match.

9. Lionhead

Lionhead New Member

May 3, 2006
    Giesing Heights
    Point taken. Better than friendlies with Liechtenstein or Luxenburg anytime.

Nobody is better than Lehmann or Kahn when it comes to organising the defense. That's why it would have been better to take Woerns to the WC.

Lehmann

Woerns Metzelder

This could have been the reunited BVB warriors in defense.

10. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    In the contest for the anchoring CB, I argued with some of the folks here about why Nowotny be denied of a fitness test and made use of some statistics to prove my point that the form of a healthy Nowotny has literally help Leverkusen for a super-surge in their league ranking.

By supporting Nowotny for the fitness test, I did not argue against the consideration of Woerns in Klinsi's roster. All I said, the options should be opened as widely as possible while there is still time. In that opinion poll on this board, I thought the voting was rather even. But in Germany, Woerns has won an overwhelming support.

I also favour Metzelder but he is so injury-prone which makes me worry how many matches can he sustained even his injured ligament could be recovered in time for the tourney.

11. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Here comes a bit of blasphamy:
    It's pretty sad that the only thing positive thing we can point to is coming third in the Confed Cup. Third place when playing at home in an 8 team tourney ain't that good, folks.

12. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah but when 1 and 2 are brazil and argentina, it aint that bad, either...

how did france do at le tournoi in 97, one year before they won the world cup?

13. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Kaiser Attacks Klinsmann

kaiser has threatened to engineer the sacking of klinsmann if germany are eliminated early in the WM.

very bad he is the one who should retire and not klinsmann. he keeps on interfeering in the coach's work.
    klinsmann simply has no players at his disposal, especially central defence
    link-http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.asp?hlid=386924&CPID=4&clid=357&lid=9&title=Kaiser+warns+Klinsmann

14. Lionhead

Lionhead New Member

May 3, 2006
    Giesing Heights
    Re: Kaiser Attacks Klinsmann

Looks like Beck has a point. He might just as well take over from Klinsi now.
    Our kaiser will never retire!

15. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    France were third, out of 4 teams in le tournoi. England won the cup, and Alan Shearer became the first English captain after Bobby Charlton of 66 to hold a trophy . :cool:

16. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC