News: Klinsmann on Mexico match - "A damn good result for both teams"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well, we lost, and yet he's still here.

A US fan cheers for our success, never our failure. Period. That's the way I see it.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Klinsmann, in addition to carrying a good record against Mexico, made it out of difficult WC group and won a Gold Cup. That is on par with the efforts of the previous 2 regimes.

The mostly substanceless criticism of JK is evidence of the personality-based nature of the criticism. If the fates of the prior two regimes were a guide then the coach should have been fired after the Concacaf Cup defeat. This has little to do with the 'JK is a douche', 'JK is clueless', 'JK didn't call my guy in from Bulgaria', 'JK didn't call my guy who played great for 8 MLS games' infused criticism that permeates so much of the commentary.

vexco, TheHoustonHoyaFan and JJV1994 repped this.
  3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    How do you reckon what happened last year?

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

5. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. It was known before match he wasn't going anywhere so this exercise was all hypothetical.

So you will always root for the immediate win in a game even if you believe a loss would help the team in the future and in realizing bigger goals?

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's apparently very easy for you to unsee the two legal goals that were disallowed. :rolleyes:

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I can't unsee anything LD didn't get to do at WC2014. But that Wondo almost-finishing effort vs Belgium certainly did leave a bit to be desired. And I thought Brad Davis and Mix Diskerud had some solid showings at WC2014.

8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I will never forget Brad Davis running around the field like a hyperactive 9 year old without a position for 60 minutes doing nothing to help hold possession, and then needlessly conceding a corner that led to their only goal.

Mix's bench game was solid, too.

Berks, exref, Beazley17 and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My personal favorite bench game was Timmy Chandler's.

deuteronomy and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The power and allure of cool hair, certainly.

Totally cool.

11. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Can you unsee something that was disallowed? Very metaphysical.

The Slovenia "no" goal was a joke. Should have counted.

The Algeria "no" goal was a really tight call, and it's hard to feel "cheated" on that one if I take my fan glasses off.

I just don't think the result in WC 2010 makes Bradley a materially better manager than if the US had not advanced. It was too close and too small a sample for me.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes. Winning organizations win.

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the prior regime fell completely flat in the subsequent Gold Cup (losing the one that mattered), lost the locker room and was let go. I think similar standards should apply to JK.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    We outplayed every opponent we played in 2010 - and against England was even. We were out played by every opponent we played in 2014 with the exception of one match.

That right there, tells me we did better in 2010 than 2014. We played like the minnow Juergen Klinsmann turned us into in 2014 and and in 2015 in the Gold Cup against Mexico...and Panama...and in the first two matches of the group stage.

diablodelsol repped this.
  15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    delusion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Suffering causes one to come on BS and post nonsense.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Actually, I've mostly gone to apathy. You can thank your hero for that.

Also, take a look at the stats from our World cup run in 2010, and then compare them to the world cup run in 2014.

Against England, possession was 53 - 47 in favor of England, and Shots was 18 - 13 in favor of England
    Against Slovenia possession was 52 - 48 in favor of USA, and Shots was 14 - 7 in favor of USA
    Against Algeria possession was 51 - 49 in favor of USA, and shots was 21 - 19 in favor of USA (and here it should be noted that Algeria only had 4 Shots on goal and forced Howard into just 3 saves)
    Against Ghana possession was 51 - 49 in favor of USA, and shows was 20 - 16 in favor of USA

Against Ghana, possesion was 59 - 41 in favor of Ghana, and shots 21 - 8 in favor of Ghana. And for funsies, they had 65 Dangerous attacks compared to 22 USA
    Against Portugal, possesion was 48 - 52 in favor of Portugal, and shots 20 - 15 in favor of Portugal, and they had +14 morew dangerous attacks
    Against Germany...let's not go there
    Against Belgium...let's not go there either.

Against 3 of our 4 opponents we were BADLY outplayed. We went the way of cowards & minnows. People call it a success because we got out of the group. I call it playing terrified football and hoping you can eke out something.

17. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Badly outplayed? Germany and Belgium, sure. Portugal and Ghana? Nah. Also consider the competition as well.

Realistically, Ghana outpossessed us because we went up early and ceded possession. Who knows how that game plays out if that doesn't happen? Same can be said for Slovenia in 2010 against us. You can't just look at the stats.

dna77054 repped this.
  18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghana outplayed us, we beat them though.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    While I agree with you on the Ghana game (us sitting back plus basically playing with 10 men with AJ being terrible and Clint breaking his nose), Slovenia didn't just sit back. We were running them off the field; their 2 goals were thanks to a statuesque Onyewu and poor Howard positioning, but before and after them we had multiple really good scoring chances. On balance of play we should have won 4-2.

ussoccer97531, Marko72 and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're really a piece of work. There hasn't been as big of a projection since the last Batman movie.

Going back to your remarks pre CC playoff, you expressed wishing that if we did lose, we'd get obliterated, implying that Klinsmann getting fired is really the result you wanted then.

What happened since?

Result-wise, we got out-shot 15-4 by Costa Rica in an embarrassing friendly. Then, had a mediocre at best start to the WC qualifying campaign, having to come back at home vs. St. Vincent, then finishing with a drab 0-0 at T&T. Our youth teams bombed. Is that what caused the turnabout in your stance in Klinsmann?

No, it's the fact that he continues to play your favorite Zardes repeatedly, partially at the expense of the favorites of others you've deemed rivals because they dared to question the cred of your hipster opinions. And incidentally, before Klinsmann excluded them, you advocated for the call-ups of Lletget and Bjorn, just not nearly as staunchly as myself or some others. But he doesn't call them up, and that adds to his competence as a coach, and makes the criticisms of him flimsier? Your stance on Klinsmann now is actually primarily personal to you.

My stance on the effectiveness of Klinsmann is zero percent personal. As a U.S. fan, naturally I'm frustrated when I see players in the pool who could help us and themselves, get neglected repeatedly, as many others have also complained about. Wouldn't lead to infuriation if the results came anyway. But we're -.3 ppg in comparison to Bradley in competitions they both were in w/ a-squads, the last 12 games have been the worst stretch in the modern era, and the youth teams have been disproportionately poor outside u-20 who've maintained their level. But you know that already.

His complete and utter lack of accountability stemming from egoism just adds to the criticism somewhat. It has nothing to do with the interest in an ardent preference he get fired. He's peeing on people's heads and telling them it's raining. It's insulting and when things make no sense, sensible people go a little haywire about it. But if he weren't peeing on people, there would be no reason to blatantly lie. And the peeing on people is what has a direct effect. Not like Patriots' fans care that Belicheck is a prick, or Spurs' fans with Popovich.

Now, I just figuratively peed on you, but at least I have the decency to not pretend otherwise.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Folks only read the first sentence of a post these days?:whistling:

22. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Clearly. If you don't agree with every point made re: Klinsmann, it doesn't matter if you want him fired or not. You're the enemy.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Wow! I'm beginning to be concerned about your stability. Hang in there and maybe take a little break from following the team?

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    How should Howard have been positioned? I remember thinking that the left midfielder could have dropped in and helped on Birsa instead of running out wide to mark space or Onyewu could have stepped and left the back even numbers, but don't recall Hiward being out of position.

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    On their first(?), I thought he was too far out off his line given where the ball was on the field. The shot wasn't anything special, Howard was just so far off his line it just flew right in

bsky22 repped this.