KK 155: Springing Ahead...[R]

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by Charge!, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    :D

Oh, c'mon. The 'my girlfriend's watching,' was gold.

====

Another thing I'll throw out, not necessarily directed at y'all, but generally speaking.

Why are so many women's fans reluctant -- hell, downright scared -- to bring up the whole lesbian player thing?

2. cloudedmind

cloudedmind BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 7, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD

Lesbians are SCARY! Hehehe.

3. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yeah, yeah ... :p

Sometimes the initial shock(!) of many fans when it's brought up is downright terrifying on so mnay different levels. It's like we've gone backwards since Martina came out.

But then again, maybe it's just the collective age of the fans. I'd thought we'd progressed beyond the '99 PTH, but perhaps not.

4. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
  5. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Aww, jesus. I'm glad you're ok. (Well, er, better than you could have ended up.)

Abby dedicated to dianamo-superstriker:
    [​IMG]

6. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    That was you?! :eek: I get Sonoma County Sheriff's Dept. releases e-mailed to me as they come out, and I saw that today like 30-minutes after it was reported. A friend of mine is a Sonoma County Deputy. I actually tested with the department a few years back, and have gone on ride alongs with her. She'll taze whoever got ya if she catches 'em. Her nickname in the department is "Sparkey" because she tazes a lot of people. Better than shooting them -- sometimes! *nods* Get better soon!

7. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    Stereotypes are alive and kicking. However, I think it's also sometimes a no big deal thing, and it's generally accepted about Abby and whoever else. It's just a non-issue sometimes.

8. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    Meet ya at Kell's....it'll take me about 12-hours to get there....lol

9. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I just remember Dianamo bringing up how Abby isn't the typical role-model the USWNT wants to porject, and someone jumped up and down on her head for mentioning her sexuality. And I remember thinking, 'seriously? We're still doing this?' And then the poster admitted to being a lesbian herself ...

It feels like sometimes people are continuing to feed the stereotypes and homophobia by trying our best to ignore it or pretend like it doesn't exist.

I'm sure it's a non-issue on the team, as it was during the WUSA ... But it just feels strange sometimes. Especially when people go off on the 'I'm not interested in their private lives,' and 'It's none of our business,' but yet these same posters ooooh and ahhh over the players' kids or talk about the players' spouses, etc.

I don't know. I guess that's my little hang-up tonight. :D

10. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    I'm thinking sleeping while watching a missile would be bad.

11. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    Now, see, that's a HUGE pet peeve of mine, the talking about husbands/kids, and not talking about gf's/whatever. Actually, it bugs me regardless -- talk about the damn game! That's part of what really turned me off of following the WNBA -- they fall all over themselves to interview player's husbands, to the point of being ridiculous about it, just really playing up the fact that there are heterosexual female athletes. Well, DUH! I can give a flying rip about it...unless I want to date them! LOL

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Erm.

She can't bomb me, or she'd hit Moody. And I think the USAF would frown upon that sort of thing. :D

13. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yeah, I get that sometimes with the USWNT. Actually, all the time. Like, since the dawn of time.

It just seems awfully contrived. Not just the U.S. team, but all of it. From the WNBA interviews to the 'soccermom' stories that every paper seems to do (both U.S. and Norway, for that matter).

I'm in such a bitchy mood tonight. Apologies.

14. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    Well, it is contrived, and it's rather irritating. If they are going to profile the hetero families, they should profile all families, or they should just shut the f*ck up and talk about the game. There's nothing more irritating than to be watching a game, and have them cut away from the game to interview a spouse. I'm trying to watch the damn game! I don't give a sh*t about what the spouse has to say at that moment! It's something I never see when I watch football or baseball, just when watching women's sports. It's the "look, we are all hetero here" move, and it's irritating as hell. Actually, I'd be irritated if they cut away to interview Abby's gf during the game, too....just show me the damn game!

15. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested to see how they (meaning the press) delve into the story of Natasha Kai.

She's one of the truly great personalities that women's soccer has ever seen. Once she gets more time on the field, she has an energy that simply will not be denied.

She's also very open about being a lesbian.

16. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    Is it bad that I am sick, yet I am drinking beer? It is, after all. St. Patrick's Day, and I am Irish. I think I could be kicked out of the being Irish club if I didn't have a beer or two today, and that would be bad!

17. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    All I've seen the press talk about Kai is her Hawaiian heritage, how her mother was some famous Hawaiian singer, and she surfs. Not much else about her personal life. But, ya know, that's always the take when it comes to covering lesbian athletes -- shhhhhhh, don't mention a gf, maybe people will ignore that part and they will still want to watch her play sports! Never mind that she's a kick ass athlete, and maybe, just maybe, that's why we tune in!

18. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on her personal myspace before everyone went to add her. She had pics galore of her and her "boo." Her "boo" didn't look to be packin' a snausage, if ya know what I mean.

I believe she's now got two myspaces. One for friends and family and one for fans.

19. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not Irish but everyone thinks I am because of the red hair. :D

I paid for one Guiness at the bar tonight. I however drank four of 'em.

Huzzah!

*chugs water like its going out of style now*

No headaches in the morn' for me!

20. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    Good job on the drinking four Guinesses, but paying for only one. However, if you were Irish, you'd have paid for none! :D

The drinking beer while sick is funny....2 beers, and I'm feeling it. It usually takes me 5 or 6 before that happens (Irish, ya know).

21. rbatc

rbatc New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    San Fran. Bay Area
    Okay, sleeping now....this being sick thing sucks a**....night all...

22. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yeah, Kai's going to be interesting. Of course, there's only been two female soccer players to ever go on record as being gay, and that's Linda Medalen and Nordby. Then again, if you take a look at the No. of women athletes who have come out, it's not very high at all.

I know it's a huge step to take, and would bring a fair amount of grief, but it's not career suicide.

Ugh. I have too much of a headache tonight to give this a real go. But I am doing a blog post about it. Let's see if I can actually take some time out of my schedule this week to do a proper post. I may need to channel some Camille Paglia to get me through it. :D

Night rbatc. Charge!. DiegoRed. dianamo -- get well, babe! John boy ....

23. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    thanks Red, somehow everytime I see that I laugh... even now that I can relate a little bit more to having your head stappled. Good thing I didn't have to go back and play :)

24. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Not at all... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (kind of thing)
    I forgot about San Patrick's day, but the interesting thing is that I was send off from the hospital wearing GREEN scrubs! :D

25. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    dianamo, glad you're ok as well!! Sorry you had a rough time!!

On a happier note... Whoo-hoo, just found out my favorite women's college team got an WNIT bid (yeah yeah, I know, it's not the big dance but I'll take whatever I can get!) and will be hosting so I am going to the games baby!!