Kitchen Nightmares [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by otterulz, Sep 19, 2007.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, don't know if an [R] is needed for this, but the US version of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares premiers on FOX tonight at 9pm. It's simply called, "Kitchen Nightmares".

Fell in love with RKN on BBC-A. I really enjoyed it but sometimes you do lose things in translation and I have had to turn on my captions as the guy before the opening credits suggests.

Glad to see its made its way to the States. I'm assuming the formula will be kept the same. I wonder if he'll be a bigger dick than he really is though. From the clips we've seen of the new show, he seemed a little over the top.

Anyway, very excited about tonight as I have become a huge Gordon Ramsay fan.

2. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the show is a bit more over the top. On the BBC version, he would sometimes chew out the workers dropping F-bombs and yelling, but didn't have anyone ever try to physically attack as is implied in the previews for the US version.

Should be a lot of fun. Will have to TIVO the show tonight while I watch the RSL-Galaxy match.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, I guess this should be in the Movies and TV forum. Can a mod move this please? Sorry about that....

4. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    It was good, but I had a problem with the first episode...

Didn't he (in the BBC version) typically go back to the restaurant 3-4 weeks later and actually come in unannounced?

5. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that guy Peter is an asshole.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, as soon as I saw the front of the restaurant I was like hey, we've been there. My uncle was in one of the scenes as a customer, I had asked him why he didn't say he was there for a tv show and he said that he thought they were filming a commercial for the place.

Anyways, yeah that Peter guy's a dick and makes Italians look bad. His Jersey guido act needs to go.

7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not a Jersey guido accent, that's a Lawn-Guyland guido accent.

My father's cousins are from West Babylon, and they have the exact same accent. :D

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While his accent may be Strong Island, his demeanor is the jersey guido mafia type.

9. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Yes, but this is America. Land of second chances and what restaraunt would ever let him come back unannounced?

I'd like to see Ramsay go to that KFC in New York with the rats and roach problem.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For people that haven't forgotten about this thread, that Sebastian guy tonight doesn't just get it.

You have to adapt. If something isn't working, it needs to be changed. He didn't get it and it seemed like he was doomed.

The website still works, so that's probably a good thing.

Still, if you want to expand, that's fine and dandy. You just can't do it when you have 20 different options, and totally bamboozle and confound your customers. Someone said they need about 20 minutes to explain everything, and they also said they needed a menu so they wouldn't have been confused.

Expand into (or near to) the same town in which you already are, but only after your original is bursting at the seams.

At least they haven't shown any unsanitary ones in a while. :)

There's also something in me that's telling me that if Gordon was unable to work his magic and the place did close down, they wouldn't air that episode. IMO, it seems like the show is a national commercial for the restaurant.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last five minutes looked like Sebastian realized that Gordon was right, and he agreed to change his convoluted and confusing menu.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's too bad. It seems like it could've been a decent place if that moron Sebastian had just listened to Ramsay's advice.

14. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Finn McCool's a chain? I know there's a place named Finn McCool's in DC. It's one of the places Barra Brava has DC United away game viewings.

Also, didn't Buddy, Brian and Jason have an Italian sounding last name?

Edit - found a link. Their last name is Mazzio, not exactly Irish. Then again, Buddy is a retired detective. Everyone knows the beat cops are Irish, and the detectives are Italian.

:D

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, it's just a common name for Irish Pubs in the US, Like "Murphy's" or "McXXX"

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird. But not as weird as a guy named Mazzio trying to get back to his Irish roots. Maybe Buddy's mom was Irish.

:)

18. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i think there is a chain called Finn McCool's. There is one in Chicago or at least the Chicago one is a chain because there are three locations (two in the suburbs)

I read somewhere that the Italian last name is his step-father's last name, not sure why you would take your step-father's last name though.

19. DemiChika

DemiChika New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    I like the british version more.

20. FinnmacCool

FinnmacCool New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Washington, DC
    I am not sure whether or not it is a chain in other areas. This Finn Maccool (the D.C. Barra Brava one) is privately owned. The name comes from Fionn mac Cumhaill, an irish folklore hero who is based on a real person but his exploits have been somewhat exaggerated to more of a mythological status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finn_Maccool is anyone is interested

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's low scale. For upper-class roaches and rat droppings in NYC, go to Serendipity 3, famous for its thousand dollar deserts. When they are allowed to re-open, that is.

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about half way throughthe episode with Lela. If she doesn't fire Ricky and Buzzard, she deserves to go out of business.

Edit - Buzzard got fired. Ricky needs to go too.