Kitbag complaints

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Shop' started by bigtoga, Oct 13, 2003.

1. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL
    Huss,

How and who do I need to get in touch with to remedy my custom charges from a Kitbag order?

If they remedy this problem, can they also remedy the outrageous shipping charges. I don't mind waiting a week to receive something if the shipping was cut by 2/3d. Thanks!

I really like the selection from Kitbag and if they can fix the shipping and custom fees, I would definitely order from them more often.

Go Quakes!

2. uhclem

uhclem Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Spring Lake Park, MN
    Hello, American

Actually, I suspect that if foreign companies are having trouble selling here in the U.S. (if that is indeed the case, noting that no one has laid out any actual numbers on this), it is for reasons other than customs and duty charges.

For example, I’m going to use Subside Sports as an example. They are a fine soccer e-shop located in the U.K. from whom I have ordered over 30 jerseys in the last 5+ years. This is their ordering information page:

http://www.subsidesports.com/uk/store/content.jsp?pid=99

You’ll note that to ship GBP 100.00 worth of shirts (about two) to the U.S. (and many other countries, whom I doubt ALL have the same custom and duty rates) by the most basic method, they charge GBP 8.50. Just exactly how much of that is customs and duty? Can’t be much after you take out what the shipping company gets. If you can find where they have hidden the custom and duty charges from me, I would be most interested.

Once again, I have never been charged customs or duty on any shipment from Subside, or any other overseas e-shop, except for Kitbag. On that occasion, an envelope from the deliverer, DSL, was left with the package asking me for about $10.00 or so (I don’t remember the exact amount) for customs. I can’t imagine that I’m the only guy not getting charged customs and duty. I have over 160 jerseys and about half of them were shipped from other countries. Where did all these companies and shops hide the customs and duty charges?

And all you folks who have paid customs and duty charges, how much have they charged you per shirt or pound or package? Where on the bill did it appear? Or, did you get an envelope, like I did with Kitbag? Just what exactly is the customs and duty rate in this country on polyester? Anyone got a source they can site on that?

The reason that shirts sent from Europe are fairly expensive (unless you shop around a bit; deals can be found) is that the U.S. Dollar is weak against most of the major currencies. Subside used to charge about GBP 42.00 for an average EPL shirt. They now charge GBP 40.00. Yet, my cost has gone up from about $65 to $73. It’s not customs and duty charges, it’s the dollar having lost buying power compared to the Pound Sterling and the Euro.

However, if you check out some e-shops in Latin and South America:

http://www.solodeportes.com.ar/shop/productos.asp?id=12

http://www.soccer10shop.com/index.php?osCsid=5ea0b9c31daedd9249322fefb99196c6

http://www.boliviamall.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=39&osCsid=1da02ce2d4adff8cfdc8c271714967b5

http://www.lacarretica.com/tienda/tienda.asp?id_dept=13&page=1&id_pdept=0&idLink=13&flag=0

http://www.sofutebolbrasil.com

(A note for sofutebolbrasil.com: All prices are in Brazilian Reals. The exchange rate is approximately 3 Reals to the Dollar. In other words, a BR 99.00 shirt is about $35.00.)

The reason? Because the currencies south of the border are very weak right now. Jerseys made in Latin and South America are very inexpensive. Jerseys made in Europe are generally more expensive, which is one of the reasons why the European jerseys at sofutebolbrasil are, for the most part, much higher in price. "So, why aren't Latin and South American e-stores dominating" you ask? Language. I had to type “camisa futbol” or “camiseta futebol” or “fussball trikot” or “malliot football” or “maglia calcio” into the search engines to find many of the soccer e-shops I have done business with. Most people in this country wouldn’t think of that or have enough language fluency to understand the ordering instructions. I have almost no knowledge of Nordic, Arabic, and Asian written languages, and as a result, have fewer jerseys from these regions. So, for the e-shops in most countries, the language barrier is a hinderence to getting market share here.

The third reason is that Americans generally feel more secure in ordering from businesses in their own country, especially in case something goes wrong. Calling your local Better Business Bureau about the shoddy practices of a shop in Uruguay is a pretty low percentage tactic. I hasten to add that it is extremely seldom that I have had any problems in ordering from other countries.

Undoubtedly there are other minor reasons that also have an effect. But, I believe that the three above are probably the main ones. Customs and duty charges are, most likely, pretty far down the list.

Performing my duty, as is my custom, by signing off as I always do, I remain

That little old jersey collector

Me

P.S. Yes, I’m over sixty… pounds in weight. :p

3. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian New Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Club:
    --other--
    It is really simple. Any packages to the US from the UK, for example, must complete a customs document which is then attached to the front of the package. The document must state the nature of the contents and their value.

If the vendor states that the package contains goods, you are likely to have a customs charge.

However...

If the vendor labels the items in the package as a gift, this will be unlikely to incur a customs charge.

The reverse, incidentally, works from the US to the UK. I am not sure if that applies to other European countries, but I would imagine it might.

So if someone orders consistently from one vendor and has never been charged, I would imagine that something like the above has been effected by the vendor.

4. american

american New Member

May 13, 2004
    I agree with the previous post. People in the US that buy soccer jerseys from abroad should pay customs, if they don't it is most likely because the seller (inadvertently or not) has shipped in a special manner that somehow avoids duties. The duty in the US for a polyester jersey is around 35%, I will try to post a link to a US customs site where this is reflected.
    Now, as for jerseys made in Latin America be very very careful. I have been both to Argentina and Brazil with the purpose of buying product from the leading retailers there (I even participated in the process of opening an account with Adidas Argentina). The quality of the goods is lower than in other countries, with the extreme example being Nike Brazil. Nike jerseys made in Brazil are much lighter than those made in Europe, or Morocco, or Asia, and in fact look fake. For instance, in the Munited jersey the Vodafone logo is completely flat with no surfaces whatsoever, thus looking totally fake. While costs are lower in South America I would be careful as to what I get from there. Plus there is a whole industry in Argentina engaged in manufacturing fake jerseys ("truchas"). I know of a couple of shops in California that were visited by these guys and were sold fake Nike jerseys. The whole Mexican soccer market is now inundated with fake stuff from Argentina.
    That is why it is imperative that the US soccer market develops its own "national champions" so that people don't need to go through the hussles of buying overseas, unless they need something really exotic (like Milwall's special FA Cup jersey offered by Subside). My bet is that Eurosport and WorldSoccerShop will end up dominating the market, the first for obvious reasons and the second because it can become the "niche player" in the replica business, a truly specialized and cutting-edge site, something like an American version of Subside.

5. Biffa Bacon

Biffa Bacon New Member

May 13, 2004
    You really are a fan of world soccer shop American - is that who you work for :)

I think Eurosport already dominate the market don't they ? I think your a bit off with your claim for worldsoccershop (who are not an american company as far as I can see)... they in my opinion have a long way to go .... a couple of friendly Alabama natives does not make a succesful soccer company ....

If you are looking for the American version of subside I would say The Onion Bag fits the bill much better ... their prices are better than subside and worldsoccershop plus no one in the US has the variety of official numbering that they do. Saying that though, Eurosport could take them out if they so much as sneezed in their direction !

6. american

american New Member

May 13, 2004
    No I don't work for those guys, though I do know them.
    I used to work with several international soccer businesses and that is how I came in contact with some sites in the US, though my bulk of activity was in Japan.
    The reason I promote them is that I frankly believe they are the best specialized site in the US for soccer fans gear (they do not sell player's related items such as footwear, I think). I am on a more personal basis with other people (soccerplus in Pasadena, soccerlocker in Miami) but they are just not as good.
    I never dealt with the Onion Bag though people in NY say good words about them. But, honestly, though their site is very cool and they look like nice guys, you cannot even begin to compare OB's selection with WSS's. The guys in Alabama (yes, this company is 100% headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama) have many more products from many more different leagues. For example, OB only carries 20 national teams, while WSS carries several dozens. Same with clubs. For example, OB only carries 4 teams from Spain, while WSS carries 12 teams. And selection per team is just larger in the case of WSS, which even carries exclusive items that I've not seen in anybody else's site such as Adidas Originals (vintage Real Madrid, AC Milan, etc) and official English teams t-shirts (Munited, Arsenal, etc).
    One thing I give you is that OB offers attractive prices, perhaps they don't mind reducing their margins as a way to get business.

7. american

american New Member

May 13, 2004
    What do you guys know about SoccerPost?
    Looks like they are going online.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Suppor Thai kids. Buy fakes off Ebay.

Sachin

9. Biffa Bacon

Biffa Bacon New Member

May 13, 2004
    they are even more abysmal than soccerstore.com ... all they want to do is sell franchises ... have you seen their Soccer Post magazine ? shockingly bad.

Do you think worldsoccershop will open up a retail store ? surely there isn't much demand for Sheffield Wednesday jerseys in Alabama ....but what would I know :)

Looking at worldsoccershop they seem to have a rather large staff for an internet only operation ... my prediction is that they will go bust due to lack of sales or that eurosport will simply buy them out.

Maybe if they team up with BigSoccer to do the BigSoccer store they can stay afloat .....

10. Biffa Bacon

Biffa Bacon New Member

May 13, 2004

Very selective comparisons there 'american' - or should I say spammer for worldsoccershop :) ..... if your trying to get the American market you should try ordering more than 5 teams from OUR league !

11. american

american New Member

May 13, 2004
    I pointed out the National Teams difference because in my opinion that is the most important section of a soccer business, especially now with the new styles coming out, and I pointed out Spain League because that is the competition I follow the most. But you are right, OB probably has a bigger selection of MLS items. The key question of course is what percentage of sales for any given soccer business in the US is due to MLS items (I suspect not much).
    In any case, it is a plain fact that in general WSS has a much larger selection than OB, it has nothing to do with me being a spammer. It is also an undeniable fact that WSS carries exclusive items that OB simply does not. I am just pointing facts and yes, it is true that I do not hide my preferences, but I am certainly no spammer. For instance, as opposed to a previous post by somebody else, I have not predicted that OB or anybody else will go bust or will be bought out.
    And yes, I agree that Big Soccer and WSS would be the perfect match (since it is difficult to envisage Eurosport partnering with BS).

12. Captain Obvious.

Captain Obvious. New Member

May 2, 2004
    Someone's top drawer
    Notice how there's no denial of affiliation with WSS...

13. RedDevil13

RedDevil13 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Illinois USA
    Must again state that the price for the shipping is what makes me so reluctant to use kitbag.

14. Biffa Bacon

Biffa Bacon New Member

May 13, 2004
    What's undeniable is that you work for worldsoccershop :) otherwise you would also point out the many items that Eurosport and OB carries and WSS does not !

It's also undeniable that Eurosport and OB beat worldsoccershop in price on EVERY SINGLE ITEM !!! ... is it really worth an extra 10-15 dollars to have a friendly conversation with a nice person from Alabama ?

I do agree that worldsoccershop would make an ideal match with the bigsoccerstore ..... eurosport wouldn't touch them - because they don't need to, and the onion bag have already been there and done that.

My question is, if they team up with bigsoccer, will worldsoccershop make their prices even higher because they would have to share the profits with the guys from bigsoccerstore ?

15. uhclem

uhclem Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Spring Lake Park, MN
    Hello.

Just got a couple of jerseys from an Argentinian e-shop. They look to be official replicas of good quality. I did not have to pay customs or duty on them, because on the "Descripcion detallada del contenido" sticker on the envelope (sent through the Correo Argentino and the U.S. Mail) the sender put down 2 Remeras Jersey [2 rowers jersey] and checked the box marked "Regalo" [gift].

So, I bought the '03 Racing Club Home 100 Anos s/s and the '04 Belgrano Home s/s for a total of about $85.00, including shipping. This is one of the reasons I have little hesitation in ordering from other countries. For me, customs and duty "don' ennerin towit." - Luigi Vercotti

Waiting for my shirts from Bolivia, I remain

That little old jersey collector

Me

16. american

american New Member

May 13, 2004

No one is denying that Eurosport carries exclusive items, they always have. I don't know why you enter Eurosport into the picture. You sound a bit too defensive every time I say something good about WSS. Does it bother you for some reason? You call me WSS spammer, when it is you that look like a WSS basher. Maybe it is you who work for WSS' competition.
    I am trying to have a serious discussion as to who in the US should replace Kitbag as Big Soccer's partner. I have pointed out several times that WSS is in my view the best US-based site. I have detailed several reasons for this. I have not called names to anybody nor have I said that somebody is going to go out of business or be bought out.
    Eurosport should not enter into this discussion because 1) No one else is at their level; 2) They most probably do not contemplate partnering with Big Soccer
    I agree that OB sells cheaper, for whatever reason. What I don't understand is why you don't agree to the simple truth that WSS carries a much larger selection than OB and that it carries exclusive items that OB does not (exclusive items meaning no one else, bar perhaps Eurosport, has them in the US).
    I have not seen any exclusive items on OB sites, but perhaps you can point those out to me.

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    And yet you still skirt the issue. If you are raving about the benefits of a company, then it is only polite to declare your affiliation to that company in the interest of indicating that your advice is not entirely neutral.

Up-front question, american: What, if any, is your connection to WSS?

18. Biffa Bacon

Biffa Bacon New Member

May 13, 2004
    What benefit would it be to worldsoccershop to partner with BigSoccer - surely worldsoccershop has a much larger profile than BigSoccer ? ...

who says kitbag are getting replaced anyway ... even with customs duties and postage their prices still beat most US sites, including your beloved worldsoccershop.

Waiting for my shirts from Kitbag, I remain

That little odd jersey inspector

Biffa

19. american

american New Member

May 13, 2004
    Agreed. But the point is that I have already said: 1) I do not work with those guys; 2) I know them (just like I know people from many many other US soccer businesses).
    As for giving advice, well all I have said is that in my view WSS is the best US-based soccer e-commerce site for fan-related gear. Anybody is entitled to their own opinion. That is different from providing advice (I don't recall having indicated anybody on this thread that they should go out and buy from this or that site).
    The real issue here is that some people seem to be bothered by my endorsement of WSS. Some people actually said that WSS will go bust, just like that. Others (or perhaps the same person, don't recall) have pointed out things that are just not true, like the fact that WSS is not a US company and ships from abroad. This leads me to believe that some people in this thread might work for WSS' competition, as all they bring out are negatives and criticisms (unjustified and untrue in many instances), and don't point out the obvious positives (very large selection, exclusive items, etc).
    Again, what should matter here is what people think about Kitbag and who in the US could replace them should BS choose to do so. If you think Kitbag is offering a bad deal to BS customers then the serious thing is to point out your reasons and offer your alternative. This is the theme that got me interested in this thread in the first place.

20. Biffa Bacon

Biffa Bacon New Member

May 13, 2004
    so who do you work for then ?

WSS is a part of the 365 family no ? that's not a US company is it ... anyway, who cares.

21. Biffa Bacon

Biffa Bacon New Member

May 13, 2004
    OK american ..... the jig is up.

[​IMG]

22. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Is that American? If so, how did you know?

23. american

american New Member

May 13, 2004

Is this your answer to my proposal to have a serious discussion as to which US-based site could substitute Kitbag as BS partner?
    You must have a lot of time on your hands to waste it on posts like that.

Unemployed?
    Resentful?
    Bored?

24. Biffa Bacon

Biffa Bacon New Member

May 13, 2004
    Haha, so I was on the money then ! dude, who cares who has the Bigsoccer store ..... I hope you get it though :)

25. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    does kitbag even sell MLS jerseys?