kirovski and gray traded to san jose for burpo?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by scheck, May 20, 2008.

1. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard this on from the pitch, but can't find any other sources.

Can someone say, cap space!?

2. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More importantly - can someone can confirm this?

3. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Burpo's a keeper. I don't know his salary, but maybe the Rapids feel they need more experience for the run to the MLS Cup ;)

4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Burpo-Time? ;>)

5. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't you need someone to play keeper for the next month or so with bouna gone?

sounds like a good deal if true.

6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
  7. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SoccaJ

SoccaJ Member

Colorado Rapids
    Jun 25, 2007
    Firestone, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for this:

1) We get a backup keeper for when Bouna is playing for the Nats

2) We lose the Cone!!

3) We free up a good amount of cap space

4) We lose the Cone!!

Did I mention we lose the Cone???

Seriously, though.......I don't know Gray's exact salary but my guess is he and Burpo are a wash in which case we gain all of Kiro's salary as cap space. A nice thing to have come the summer transfer window and us looking for a striker to help push us on to MLS Cup glory

9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    In my house it's always Burpo-Time :)

It wouldn't surprise me if the Rapids didn't eat the remaining salary.

10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I was going to mention that the cap space celebrations may be premature.

We obviously need more information but this trade seems to make sense. Our depth chart in back goes to seven pages, we weren't playing Jovan ... at all, even though he is supposed to be fit (after the groin injury) i.e. it was not an ongoing injury thing. Maybe he was not playing to avoid injury while he was shopped? Not to mention all the other reasons you might find on these boards. ;>)

Details we need details!

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done Rapids; a solid backup goalkeeper who looked good in relief of Guzan in 2006, and addition by subtraction in ditching Kirovski.

MLSNet lists Burpo as with Colorado in 2000 and 2001; was this in one of those pool goalkeeper arrangements or was he actually on the roster?

12. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is true, I say great move for both teams. We need a solid back-up keeper while Bouna plays for Senegal and I'm sure both Kirovski and Gray will be servicable players for them. If they have to pay Jovan's salary, an even better deal for the Rapids. I wouldn't be surprised if Jovan scores some goals for them, he's probably hungry to prove he can still play in this league. I'm hoping this is a true story/deal.

13. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    Wow! In one fell-swoop they've opened up roster space and cap space (presumably). And we get a veteran keeper just when we need it most. Seems like an atta-RFO is warranted.

His San Jose bio says he enjoys hiking and cycling, so he should love CO; it also says he likes to go to the beach... oh well, there's always resevours! He also likes frisbee golf... he should definately move to Boulder then.

...but in all seriousness, should we expect him to play this weekend against the Goats? Seems a bit quick to me, but what do I know!

Welcome back to CO Preston, here's hoping you get a chance to make a greater impact than your first time here!

G'Day...Ron :D

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kirovski is gone? Wholly crap I never thought anyone would trade for him and his guaranteed salary. Thank the lord!

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    There is only a single link of confirmation so far with no information about who is paying what. They must be paying something or it would be called a loan (?) which also involves money and might mean he couldn't play against us (?) as if we would fear that (!) more will probably leak out soon.

16. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    [youtube]9Jn8K8EA7-Q[/youtube]

17. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh sweet mercy, please may this be true.

Even if we eat the cap space it's sunk cost anyway. This way we'd get a player we can use, for one we shouldn't.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woo hoooo!!!!!

Even if we are paying Cone's salary its a solid move. Get a usless player off our roster for a needed position while Bouna Time! is gone.

Not only that, but moving 2 for 1 gives us the roster spot we need for when Petke comes off the DL (hopefully) next month.

If somehow we got SJ to take Cone's salary then its an outstanding move.

19. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    ....just out of interest, how much longer does Kirovski's contract run?

Salary cap room is one thing the Quakes have, so I wouldn't be surprised if we're paying all/most of Kirovski's salary. ....I hope not though.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the final year of Jovan's contract I think.

Interesting note, Preston Burpo is currently backing up Joe Cannon, the same position Bouna Time! was in before he became the starter.

21. Denvercal

Denvercal New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Northglenn

22. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YAH!!!!!

Super OVERJOYED RIGHT NOW

23. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    This is really amazing!!! On top of all the other changes this year, this is the one that we thought would never happen, and getting a decent backup keeper for Bouna when he is gone is equally amazing. What will the Colorado Highway Department do with Jovan gone to California??? Whether we like it or not, somebody we have been critical of deserves some kudos, whether that be FC, Jeff, Charlie, or Rapidman!!!!

24. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    It's kind of sad in a way. It seems that after years of trying, Clavijo had finally found a proper role for Kirovski on the team--cheering from the bench. And now this...

Seriously though, Burpo is a quality keeper. I'm really surprised that San Jose made this deal because it seems like they get hardly anything in return--an underperforming former Nat who's out of contract soon and a player who nobody seems to want.

25. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh heh...watch, he'll have a dozen goals for SJ the remainder of the year. It's just our kind of luck.