Kinnear fired. Leitch is the new manager.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by asdf2, Jun 25, 2017.

1. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Wow. Odd timing after the win.

falvo, athletics68 and ant0n repped this.
  2. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
  3. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Seems like a real re-boot of styles given the concurrent change in assistants too.

Wondo is at loss of some playing time now with Vako coming in?

4. Ultan

Ultan Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Pacifica
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well that's nice of you. =)

I think the empty seats told a story. People just didn't want what Dom was offering.

athletics68 and bsman repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I was just saying in the post-game thread:
    It would be nice to really beat up on opposing teams once in a while, 1) fans like to watch their team crush the opposition and 2) fans like to see lots of goals. That matters when the Quakes haven't made the playoffs since 2012 and Avaya Stadium looks half empty at most games. The Quakes still only have one multi-goal win in the last calendar year (3-0 over Portland on May 6, their previous one was 3-1 over Houston on May 11, 2016).​

markmcf8 and Cuzinatti10 repped this.
  6. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    There were a lot of empty seats last night.

Personally I don't think Leitch will sell tickets.

Season ticket renewals were just sent out so maybe they needed a refresh for that.

We are only a couple points out of 2nd place. Situation hardly screamed for prompt sacking.

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    April Fools? No, really, Leitchy? Nice guy but...not a coach for a pro team.

ant0n repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it's an interim thing (like when Leitch was GM) until they bring in someone from outside the organization.

markmcf8, Cuzinatti10, ant0n and 2 others repped this.
  9. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    And the inevitable ripping of the new coach has begun!

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Chris, now can the playing field (corner-flag to corner-flag) be widened to the proper 75 yards width as it was to great effect for both the USWNT's and USMNT's first visits to Avaya Stadium? ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

11. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dominic Kinnear is a great coach, I'm not happy with that decision, it just does not make sense.

12. Ultan

Ultan Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Pacifica
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Leitch doesn't have to sell tickets.
    Leitch needs to have a winning team, that plays attractive, and sometimes cavalier, football. I think most people who are vested in the club believe we can do that with the players that we have and were continually disappointed when it didn't happen.

Great point about the timings of the STH renewals.

bobby_guzman and ant0n repped this.
  13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Only if Chris wants to play a 5-3-2. Quakes defense is not mobile enough to cover wider space. I would be on board with 3 centerbacks and Lima and Colvey outside on a wide field.

14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh, stop it. He truly is a nice guy, a very different personality from Dom, and he may be way more effective in the job. I hope he is. But the timing on this is so odd -- no international search, more like a "we have to get rid of this guy TODAY!" that it's hard to believe that this was a reasoned decision.

I do think we will get a honeymoon boost from this transition, so the Seattle and LA games may actually have a better outcome than they would have otherwise. Longer term, well, we'll see.

Beerking and xbhaskarx repped this.
  15. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Fair point it may have been a rash decision.

Who knows what happened.

Pedro Rondon H de Sá repped this.
  16. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #16 chris thebassplayer, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Wow, that went south quickly...after all the happy talk of bringing in a DP. There must have been a massive blow up regarding the direction of team tactics and possibly player selection. When they brought in Covelo a change seemed inevitable.

Poor Dom, he got the Sigi treatment... fired weeks from getting the benefit of Valeri at Seattle.

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm guessing it's a big part of it. The fact they fired Spencer after only half a season and that Kinnear's replacement comes from inside the organization indicates that this move was determined only very recently, probably last week after ticket reps received a blizzard of non-renewal communiques.

bobby_guzman and SeaJayBee repped this.
  18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I don't feel sorry for Dom in the slightest. Kip, Jackson and TT have been getting the "Dom treatment" for far too long.

markmcf8, Trudge, bobby_guzman and 3 others repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It certainly was disrespectful the way it was handled, the morning after a win and the team in playoff position while awaiting a midsummer DP reinforcement. Kinnear should have been let go in the offseason when he might have hooked on with another MLS club. Not handled well, at all.

futbolloco repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Donald Trump's firing of Jim Comey was handled more professionally and with greater fore-thought. This was plainly a reaction to a fan insurrection over the season ticket renewal emails. So the fan base should be congratulated. No plane-with-a-banner buzzing the stadium required.

SeaJayBee and DotMPP repped this.
  21. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    This is intended to be funny not serious but is there a bit of irony that our replacement is a journeyman fullback taking over for a 2-way centermidfielder who played for the national team?

QuietType repped this.
  22. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I generally agree. This timing is bizarre.

23. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dom may have known the writing was on the wall, so it might not have been as precipitous as it looks to us. Getting fired is rarely a complete surprise to anyone. My guess, based on nothing but idle speculation, is that Jesse was fed up with Dom's intractability and stubborn attitude and said "enough." Especially if they've got 20,000 unsold Clasico tickets.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    We are all guessing but to me the lack of ticket sales or renewals or empty seats is the likely scenario.

On the field we were projected to be at the bottom of MLS and are midtable. I spdon't think this is results driven though we have looked crappy at times.

Heck we are in playoff position.

don gagliardi repped this.
  25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O I guess not, from the article on the MLS site:

According to multiple reports, Leitch will not have an interim tag, but has been hired as the full-time head coach.