Kim Young Gwang...Can he become the greatest Keeper Korea ever produce??

Discussion in 'Korea' started by toohyper, Oct 30, 2004.

1. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I was wondering, in Korean NT history, we've had our share of decent Goalkeepers but we never really had a great one. Watching Kim Young Gwang playing, i think he could really be a great keeper (i even think he will be the starting keeper by 06 Germany if we make it). There's another high-potential keeper Cha Ki-Seok but whatever. We all know Kim YG has great ability and potential.

Question is, U think when it's all said and done, will he be the best korean keeper that was produced? Or things like Military Service, K-League, Limited Oppotunity to play in Europe, etc. going to damage his career?

i dunno, i was bored so came up with this junk.

2. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I havent seen soo many matches with Kim, maybe 5-6 only , but from what i´ve seen he is really good. I really hope he will be an starter in WC 06.

3. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Just hope he doesn't slack off, continues working hard and takes the place from Lee Woon-jae and players in his position must rise to the occasion of being potentially "irreplaceable," not by getting lazy (as Lee Dong-guk and more so Ko Jong-soo did) but keeping up the good work.

4. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    I don't know much about past Korean goalkeepers but yes, Kim Young Gwang is a goalkeeper that can replace Lee Woon Jae in 2010.

5. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Before most of your time (in 70s), Korea had one great goalkeeper named Lee Sae Yun (sp). He was very popular, had a lot of flair (relatively speaking), well respected, and was far better goalkeeper than who preceded or follwed him. I think he was routinely mentioned one of the best in Asia.

Unfortunately for Korea, there weren't too many Lee SYs in the past. This makes Kim's chance of becoming "a" greatest Korean NT keeper a very possibility.

BTW, Lee Sae Yun was better than Lee Won Jae by far. Lee WJ only did well in WC02.

6. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Lee might even face a battle to get back into the Suwon side, because during the time he's missed domestic matches due to international call-ups Kim Dae-hwan has proven a more than adequate stand-in.
    I think that Kim will keep his place today for the game against Daegu, and if so it's thoroughly deserved.

Chances are Kim Young-kwang will nudge Lee Woon-jae out of the national team for the 2006 WC just like Lee nudged out Kim Byung-ji for 2002.