Ki Sung-Yong @ Celtic FC 2009-2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Randomized, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    No. I remain unconvinced that it was the right move. He had other options at the time (and I don't mean Portsmouth).

2. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i never liked this move when celtic said they were interested. yes there are benefits from going to the SPL but they dont outweigh the advantages of staying at FC Seoul for 6 more months before the WC. when your one of the top midfielders at your age you shouldnt be going to celtic of all places. they arent exactly known for increasing their players value. wouldve liked to see him go to a ligue 1 or serie A team.

3. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    the korean steven gerrard? hahahaha....well, it ain't too hard to play like steven gerrard nowadays...

4. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    its too early to bag on him now after a bad game and some time on the pine. let him settle.

5. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    well i'm not really bagging him. he's done well to play like steven gerrard...its just too bad that wasn't a high enough goal set for him. :p

6. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Could you elaborate on this for me please?

7. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    *sigh* dont get bent out of shape buddy. simply making the observation that players that have gone to celtic havent exactly flourished now have they. if you have a young player who has options celtic is probably not on the list and for good reason. celtic has a long history yes. but look at what happened to nakamura who i dont rate highly. granted he was 26 or something when he went there as opposed to 20.

8. KovenDreamer

KovenDreamer Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I turned the game off when it was 2-0, thinking that would be the final score, but they somehow lost to St. Mirren 4-0. Ouch...

Anyway though, aside from today, I still think moving to Celtic was a fairly good thing for Ki. The SPL is a mid range European league, and it's a good experience for him. Of course, perhaps moving straight to the EPL like LCY did with Bolton could have worked out better, but maybe next year with Celtic, Ki will get to play in the Champions League. It would be awesome if Ki scores a winning free kick against ManUtd like Nakamura did. He might even start a brawl with Park if that happened...

9. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This may be true but I think its a problem that he went to a team with such depth in the CM position. I always like players going to French league because all the teams are pretty good and if a player can survive the defensive play of Ligue 1, I feel like he can survive anywhere else. Its not a good strategy to go to a good team in a bad league. I'd rather see a player getting playing time in a bad team for a good league.

10. Fushida

Fushida Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Canada
    Just an observer but I'm a big fan and I agree with the Celtic move being not too great. I think on paper it was a decent move since he has to get used to the "rigors" of more physical football in Europe that you don't find in Asia... but the style that Celtic plays at the moment is almost completely through the wing, and bypasses their strong midfield. I find its just trendy in the SPL to hoof and it doesn't do midfielders any good for their development... And now that Celtic got Keane, its just longball after longball to him... so sad when you have great passers like Ki in there going to waste.

11. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    that is a great point Fushida...you can see his utilization dwindling not just because he sits but even when he's on the pitch. wing play is definitely key at Celtic.

12. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I would tend to agree with most of this. You see a lot of the play go through McGeady, who I thought was dire today in his crossing (but then most of the players were subpar today, Ki Sung-Yong included), as he certainly has the pace to burn but may not always make the most intelligent decisions with the ball or his final delivery may be lacking. Keane offers good movement upfront but suffers from a frustrating paucity of good service or overhit balls, often both. Samaras had some nice penetrating moves today but was outstripped often before he could pass or deliver a through ball. Ki thrives on overlapping runs of the fullbacks (think Kim Chi-Woo at Seoul, Lee Young-Pyo on the NT) to give width to the team where he has the option of the long diagonal ball to open up space in the middle or a second striker or another attacking midfielder (or a winger-cum-midfielder -- Park Ji-Sung, Lee Chung-Yong, Lee Keun-Ho, Lee Seung-Ryul, Dejan, etc. etc.) willing to get back so he can get forward. Unfortunately, he seems to be currently playing a more withdrawn midfield position than I think he would like although it's hard to say as his position seems to be altered every time I see him play.

Shortly after his transfer, it was revealed that Portsmouth was a viable option for him but decided against it for various reasons. There were several other options including but not limited to two or three teams in the Bundesliga and one or two teams in Serie A (but had troubles with their foreign quota). Both, I think would have been better options than the SPL (no offense to any SPL supporters, I think just stylistically he's more suited towards the other leagues) and/or Ligue Un. Ultimately, I think he wagered that the chance of European experience, which may or may not have happened with the other teams on his plate, was a de facto opportunity at Celtic in addition to the history, players, and reputation of that team that was too good not to pass up, EPL similarities notwithstanding.

13. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Celtic seem to be a team very much in flux.

If things don't work out hopefully he can initiate a transfer sooner than later.
    My only concern with any player is that an unsuccessful spell at a club could affect a young player's confidence that some won't recover from.

Hopefully he can fight for a place, keep his confidence, and look forward to next season. This season seems over for all intents and purposes.

My fear initially was he would not have much playing time and go into the WC short of confidence.

14. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well at leat he didnt go to Portsmouth. I find it hard to believe that that was the only EPL club that had significant interest in him.

15. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    celtic may be having a horrid season, but in a couple years they'll be right back at the top of the SPL...

16. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    True, it's a 2 horse town. Can only be either Celtic or Rangers.

17. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  18. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
  19. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes, and I think he has shown enough talent for any manager to consider. I hope the next manager can add some more creativity to the Celtic attacking style.

20. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I guess the silver tint is that if KSY doesn't get minutes ... at least he won't get injured. :D

21. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ESPN reports "It has also been reported that assistant manager Mark Venus and first-team coach Peter Grant have left the club."
    Really hope for a change in style for the club.

22. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    But he'll be rusty as well.

23. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That's the cloud

24. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Right. I'm actually a lot more concerned for LCY. He's playing a helluva lot.
    I'm worried for LCY body wise.©
    I'm worried for KSY head wise.©

25. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I wonder if KSY will get the hell out of Celtic come summer. ©