Kerry Presidency = Cheaper Oil

Discussion in 'Elections' started by TheSlipperyOne, Nov 1, 2004.

1. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    In further news, a Kerry presidency means an end to world hunger, global warming, killer hurricanes, and most importantly, an end to cats sleeping with dogs! :rolleyes:

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't mention another factor..The drive for alterative sources of energy which is sure to take place in a Kerry administration.

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A very good point.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Link?

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a shame you don't read, because if they're right about Kerry, then they're right about the price of oil.

6. DarthTrickster

DarthTrickster New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Inverness, Scotland
    Apparently, it will also mean another spell as PM for Mr Tony Bush-Blair or so he thinks. :rolleyes:

7. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    I saw a link somewhere this weekend that predicted a drop in demand. Dunno where it came from and I'm too buzy/lazy to go find it.

Personally I doubt it. The only way there'll be a global oil demand slump is if the global economy tanks big time (i.e. see 1929). Barring that, the supply and demand curves are going to be this (holds thumb and index finger about a millimeter apart) for at least the duration of the Kerry presidency.

Bottom line, volatile oil prices, high oil prices in the $40-50 range. Get used to $1.90 (if you're lucky) gas people. Ain't squat Kerry or Bush can do about it.

Now, one of thouse guys could get serious about to reducing oil dependence and make those prices less impactful. Guess who that might be?

I can't either. Kerry's a mystery on that one. We'll have to see. But I guarantee Bush won't unless faced with a monumental crisis and perhaps not even then.

Oh, and regarding the SPR... There is a reason that presidential candidates always talk about the SPR as a way to mediate prices but then hardly ever do so once elected. Because the SPR is also a finite resource and using it to control prices is VERY risky.

Let's you try to prop up cheap prices by drawing down the SPR. You are successful for a couple of months. But because of the reasons cited above and elsewhere
    you get tapped out on the SPR and prices continue to go through the roof, well there you are with your d*ck in your hand and no SPR.

8. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
  9. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I think the use of the SPR to "lower" prices is well stupid. That being said, still voting for Kerry. Though I will just be one of the 30% in Texas compared to the 70% for Bush.

10. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Well, if the growth rate in China drops to a sustainable level (say 4 or 5%) that would help reduce demand somewhat, but yeah I would have to agree with that $40-50 range. Another thing energy traders are mentioning though as a possible factor in the "Kerry=Cheap Oil" equation is a decline in the so called security premium (consensus seems to be that this is around $10-15 per barrel right now). Sounds like some traders are jittery about the prospects of a US war with Iran if Bush is re-elected. They're betting on lower probability of war with Iran if Kerry wins.

11. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    GAS IS CHEAP. $2.90 gas adjusted for inflation is what we were paying through most of the 70's-90's.

I wish Democrats would take just a single Economics class.

12. DarthTrickster

DarthTrickster New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Inverness, Scotland
    Please excuse my ignorance but are you talking per litre or per gallon here?

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    GAS IS CHEAP in the US... compared to the rest of the world...

14. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    You are correct. However, the price of light, sweet crude affects the prices of gasoline worldwide. So you all are right, US gas is very cheap compared to elsewhere, but if prices of crude oil are being artificially driven up by US policy, they're being driven up for everybody relative to what they are now.

Mostly, however, I just wanted to type "light, sweet crude."

16. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    Really? Excellent!

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    And a couple of years ago, we were paying $1.25, so what's your point.

While you are at Mr. Econ, explain why my first vcr cost $1,000 and now you can pick up a better quality machine for $50.

And, while you are permorming your dissertation on the economic value of the $2.25 tank of gas as adjusted for inflation, why don't you interview the heads of major airlines and trucking companies around the country. Tell them how "cheap" their fuel is.

And, finally, in that econ class of yours, why don't you study up the difference between deficits and surpluses.

18. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is no way Kerry can lower oil prices. This is not an issue where a producer is keeping production down, but will give up in the face of competition from National Reserve oil. There is no more capacity. In fact, the price of gasoline will rise up after the election no matter who wins, as I believe that the price of it is kept artificially low to help elect Bush.

Besides all the oversees production problems covered elsewhere, there is a big one here in America. Hurricane Ivan totally made a mess of Gulf oil pipelines. The problem actually has a century long cause - New Orleans. The Mississippi, as all rivers, wants to move. The problem is that it wants to move far to the west of New Orleans, which means the reason for the city to exist would be removed as well. So what has been done is to engeneer the river so that it stays where it is, and even adjust its path so that it self-dredges a region near the city. What all this does is make the river send a great deal of silt down to the delta which has created a very large, very steep and very unstable cliff of silt on a deep seabed. Ivan dislodged the silt and and underwater lanslide with the force of a small nuke washed away a bunch of pipes, cutting production by more than a quarter. Every deep sea diver in the world is now down there looking for pipes and putting them back together. It's going to be six-months to a year before it all gets fixed.

19. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    straight folks use lube too.

not that you would know.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, flip 'em over, do 'em dry.

21. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bush definetely won't because his family business, as well as much of his adminsitration, as well as many of his biggest contributors, is from big oil. No way in hell Bush is going to bite the hand the feeds him by pressing for conservation.

At least Kerry, who does not depend on money from the big oil companies, has a chance of pressing for conservation.

22. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it's fairly obvious that George Soros and his billionaire cronies were playing a speculative game with the world energy markets, to drive up the price of oil and drive Bush from office. Soros did the same thing with the Asian markets a few years ago. George Soros is a known terrorist.

23. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly Right!

Let's move "MoveOn.org" to Axis of Evil List!

24. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think a Kerry presidency = pricier oil.

Kerry has a protectionist streak in him, and also will go for a weaker dollar to scale down the current account deficit. Plenty of economists are calling for a 30% reduction in the value of the dollar. Weaker dollar means imports will be pricier. We import most of our oil. Therefore, oil prices should go up if Kerry is elected. QED.

I think a Kerry administration will go further to reduce demand for oil, through conservation and alternative technologies. If such programs are wildly successful, US demand could drop significantly. Not that it really matters, with China and India rapidly increasing consumption.

The Bush administration is more likely to turn US assets over to foreign entities in order to scale down the current account deficit. Bush is very comfortable with terrorist-coddling Saudis, communist Chinese and totalitarian Russians, and isn't the least bit concerned that at some point in the near future, these people could hold our mortgages.