Kerry concedes

Discussion in 'Elections' started by BenReilly, Nov 3, 2004.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Kerry will concede at 1 p.m.

If you need a link, try this and look under the banner "breaking news"
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=223113

I'm disappointed and surprised that CNN, the Washington Post, USA Today, and others basically lied to the public by calling Ohio "too close to call" (that's like saying it's too close to call whether you will win the Powerball). I'm sure the Republicans will call this left wing bias, though I believe their motive was profit.

2. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably something like 10% let's not have another mess like 2000
    90% profit

3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Reason i'll call it media bias is that, when you have a races such as Iowa, New Mexico, and Nevada, all of which combined the difference is less then Ohio, and Ohio is the one you say is "too close to call". But I guess the price they charge advertisers for slots past midnight is probably just as likely.

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Congratulations to Bush are in order, I suppose. Whatever I think of him, he won a race that wasn't as contentious as it could have been.

5. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    [​IMG]

BUSH: "Suckers!. Ha, ha.....even I can't believe I won again!"

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God bless President George W. Bush!

IntheNet

7. muskiesrock35

muskiesrock35 Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Cincinnati
  8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree. Whatever CNN's motives were, people saw right throught it. Unlike last time, everybody knew that Bush won. Some Bush supporters were saying that CNN was waiting for permision from the democrats before calling the race, and I guess if people believe that it is solely the fault of CNN. It brings into question their agenda. Personally, I think it had to do with them being overcautious. But come on! One hundred and thirty thousand plus votes difference between the candidates was too close to call?

9. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me naive', but I think the media were just as much in the dark about the number of uncounted ballots as anyone else. Combine that with the pre-election hype about Ohio being the Florida of '04 and you have an overly careful news organization.

Where do you think the additional profit came from? All of the advertising had been sold months ago.

10. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    I voted for Bush, but if there was a good dem centuralist challenger I would have voted for that guy. But Camel face was a bad canidate with a bad history. This was a bad election the opponent kept calling the commander and chief a liar, and in war time. Camel face did not help with military moral just like he did before.

I would like to see Bush add to his cabinet by adding a guy like Joe Binden. I think he is a very smart guy who would be good for the cabinet. Bush needs to be around the other side of arguments more then he is now. Maybe even add another to the cabinet. It will be a good thing.

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Did anyone happen to be watching CBS when they called Ohio, or did they not call it last night? When I went to bed CNN, ABC, and CBS were holding out on Ohio, and I really wanted to see how Dan Rather looked when he had to say that Bush had won. That must have been the most painful thing he's ever done.

Interesting to note that FOX was not the first to call Ohio. I guess they wanted to at least appear that they weren't having a victory celebration on the set.

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Higher ratings can affect future ad prices and attracts more viewers to CNN programming. I also mentioned the Washington Post and USA Today.

Even if there were 1/4 million uncounted ballots, the odds of (a) most being valid and (b) Kerry winning over 80% of them is astronomical. Virtually impossible.

13. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is it just me or did the sun seem a little brighter this morning, the air a little crisper, people a little friendlier?

Hi obie!

14. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respect the guy for doing the right thing. He could have unleashed his legion of lawyers, and didn't.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that too!

The Congress Run by GOP
    The Senate Run by GOP
    The Executive Office Run by GOP
    Daschle Gone!

A fine day indeed!

16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It wasn't just you, but all the people on the train into work seemed a bit more humble, and a bit less arrogant as well.

17. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morning, Ian. Your guy won, I'm still here, The Hunter's still looking for you.

19. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he's doing the right thing and not dragging this through the mud.

Sigh.

20. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I hope his concession speech AND the Bush response will both be gracious.

21. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would go with the overly cautious argument as well, at least on CNN. CBS was calling states far quicker than other news orgs.

The two pollsters on PBS were both saying that states like Minnesota and Pennsylvania (I believe, could've been other states) would have normally been waaaaaaaay earlier in previous years, but the news stations were waiting and waiting to be sure.

I personally think that's a good thing -- I mean, if we have to wait until morning to get it right, that seems fine.

If they're waiting for the Dems to concede, that's another story.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did those others states have an unknown but very large number of provisional ballots?

23. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You'll be happy to learn, obie, that I bought Bush yesterday at TradeSports when you mentioned he was tanking at 28%. I scored a hefty profit as he soared to over 80% late in the day. Then, I invested my profit into Halliburton this morning and their stock is now surging!!! Life is sweet!

24. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You woke up in Windsor, didn't you?

I kid, I kid!

Count me among those who believe that every network was just being overly cautious this time around.

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I don't know, they didn't feel it neccesary to focus on anything then the "controversy" around Ohio, and how the Boston Red Sox owners plane was waiting to fly out an army of lawyers at the drop of a hat. Or maybe they were trying to come up with a compelling way to explain how when 5 million votes had been cast, and bush was up by 130,000, around 200,000 *PROVISIONAL* (of which I believe they quoted 90% are usually valid, so 180,000) was going to buck all trends and go 130,000 or more to bush. Or perhaps trying to talk james carville out of giving up and recognizing his side is in trouble. I don't know, maybe it's just me.