Kenny Cooper

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by laddi, Oct 7, 2003.

1. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    Will play for the utd reserves today. The game starts in like 30 minutes. The game is on mutv

Its away against everton who have an experienced team while utd have a young team. They have 4-5 of last seasons youth cup winning team in the starting team and names like kieran richardson, chris eagles and mads timm might sound familiar to some.

Its windy out there so it could prove to be hard for him. I will post again after the game and maybe at half time

2. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    the score is everton 2 utd 0

The first goal was a really freakish own goal after a terrible shot by utd which resulted in a fast attack by everton. The second goal was by campbell at the end of the half where he just headed the ball in the net.

Cooper has done pretty well. Almost had an assists while the score was 1-0 but the ball just went over the net. Has had some nice runs not really any chances. What suprised me most about him was his footwork

3. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Thanks for the update, laddi. Keep 'em coming.

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    US needs Cooper to do well....with (really only) Casey and Buddle as big target forward for next Cup (maybe aging McBride)...we are light there...not a lot of room for error if Casey or Buddle struggle...

Likely a long-shot for 2006, but maybe Cooper can get a loan, some playing time between now and then at a top level..

5. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    im sorry i cant give further updates the tv channel *#*#*#*#ed up and i cant see mutv anymore

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Do you know if Jonathon Spector is is with the U19s or the reserves? I read that after his play in the U17 WC there was talk of him going directly to the reserves, but I haven't been able to find anything.

7. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    I know spector wasnt in the u-17 squad last weekend and wasnt in the reserve squad today. I havent seen if there were any u-19 games but he might have been in the squad there.

Utd signed 3 players that arrived a little later than most this season. A finnish striker, spector and cooper. The finnish striker and cooper have played and if anything they arrived later than spector so i would expect spector to get some games soon

8. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Was this Cooper's first game with the reserves?

9. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
  10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    an 18-19 year old getting time for manU's reserves.Not too shabby. Do a remember a quote where he is being "fast tracked" by ManU? I thnk I remember that but I can't remember if it was his Dad who said it!

12. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Can anyone argue these reserve matches are as competitive as 1st divison and definitely 2nd divison?

Check out Everton's lineup

Turner, B Moogan, Wilson, Hughes, Nyarko, Li Tie, Schumacher, Campbell, Chadwick, A Moogan

Sub not used: Gerrard

Not bad for a reserve team. Looks like a right move for Cooper esp Man U first team forwards ain't that deep.

13. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Kenny will be welcomed with open arms after the loss this Summer. Here's hoping for good luck to kenny and our reserves. Nardiello has good talent and we have a few other forwards with some talent but our talent seems to be centered in the midfield with the Reserves.

Which isn't a bad thing as long as we can sign superstars from Holland to strike for us :)

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to him,but we also remember a certain forward who shall remain anonymous who scored a boatload of goals for ManURes .....

At least there are no WP issues...

15. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    Mostly the reserve games are well below the first and second league in england in pace and how competitive the players are. You do get a few good games. Utd-pool is very often a good game, utd-birmingham who had an experienced team was a good one but it is below the league´s standards.

The utd reserve team this season is mostly 18-23 year old´s and maybe 1 guy getting himself fit so now it has guys that are pushing themselves up to first team contention guys like kieran, david jones, mads timm and eddie johnson.

Utd are not deep in forwards and i think eddie johnson and cooper (if he keeps on and improves) have the best chance of guys older than 18. Nardiello for me wont make it. The other 2 have 1 thing that can help them even if their talent level and experience isnt quite there yet and that is that they are big and strong. Im sure johnson will get games in worthington cup and lets hope kenny too

16. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Especially considering he reportedly got $1 million over three years. Even if he never breaks in, tho I hope he will, that sounds better than a scholarship to SMU!

17. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Wow - this season Nardiello has scored 8 goals in 8 games listed on ManUtd.com. That isn't good enough for you? You're tough!

Side note: they have played 10 games total but there was no match report for two so he could have only scored 8 goals in 10 games.

18. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.rednews.co.uk/ (scroll down page)
    "United's number 10 tonight was an American lad called Kenny Cooper. First time I've seen him. He looked ok whilst never really threatening to do anything extraordinary he used his strong frame to hold the ball up well at times and looks fairly comfortable with the ball at his feet. Hope to see more of him to make a more informed assessment. He was instrumental in the next Everton opening, Kenny lost the ball near the half way line as United were setting up to attack, Paul Tierney was on the wrong side of Nick Chadwick who was again sent in by Nyarko's through ball. Tommy Heaton again excelling and happy to concede another corner. The resulting corner should have seen the deficit doubled, a family affair this, Brian Moogan crossing for his brother (?) Alan who headed wide from only 6 yards out. They should have done better with that chance."

"United started the 2nd period brightly, Kenny Cooper won a freekick right on the edge of the box. The shot was struck low into the wall. Chris Eagles went on a nice run and shaped as if to shoot but then slid a delightful ball onto the American but he, unfortunately, slipped at the crucial moment. David Jones also had a nice shot well saved by the Everton keeper but we made nothing of the resulting corner."

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    sounds promising.I am sure he will need time to move from high-school and club soccer to ManU, even in the reserves. Sounds like he was at least involved a fair bit.

20. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    toga i have watched nearly all of the games. I think he isnt strong enough, not quick enough and some may disagree but i think he needs too many chances. I think half of his goals were penalties.

Im not saying nardiello wont make a living out of football/soccer im sure he will and do well but i see very little chance of that happening at utd and though johnson and cooper for instance are not certain to make the grade i see more in them. I wouldnt be suprised if they lined up johnson and cooper together soon which would be very hard for defenders

I would love to be proven wrong. He has probably just played 8 games since he came back from an injury

21. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    I wonder if there's any talent? ;)

22. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I can detect an Arsenal fan anywhere! ;)

23. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Far from it. After the publicity of playing against Arse in the FA Cup last season, Westley saw fit to ditch Boro. So, Arsenal pretty much screwed Farnborough out of a manager. Bawstuds.

24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The English Taylor Twellman? :)

I remember Nardiello from Championship Manager. You could get him for a free at the start and he usually turned out pretty good.

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Wow! Cooper already in the reserves and playing against the likes of Kevin Campbell and Alex Nyarko? Not bad for a kid just out of high school. It seems as if they've really thrown him right into the lion's den.

laddi, thanks for the match report. How is it that you were able to see this game?