Kenny Cooper scores 2 for ManUtd reserves...

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by American40, Oct 30, 2003.

1. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Found this in a Manchester United forum in a thread about their youth teams:

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Damn, what were the goals like?

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Does this Cooper kid have aspirations at all to play for the US? or is he another one of those Whitbred types that is holding out to play for England?

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whitbread isn't holding out to play for England. He's played for the US just a couple of months ago and has stated that's who he wants to play for. He's a player on the verge of getting called up to Liverpool's first team and as most big clubs do, Liverpool is not making it easy for him to leave for the U-20 World Cup.

Back to topic, Cooper has grown up in the US so I doubt there are many worries there.

5. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/NextStep/20031013112945/view

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  7. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    It doesn't tell much about the Man U players, anyway. Basically just says Cooper scored from a tap-in on 14' and that he crossed in a ball that was nearly met with a head in the box.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    tree. cooper has spent his whole life in the u.s.

i wouldn't worry about losing him to the brits.

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    "Obviously it would be brilliant to play for your country," Cooper said.

That doesn't sound good if it is in response to a question by an English reporter! :)

10. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    I'm thinking he said that to Mr. Rob at TopDrawer. I think.

11. zonker

zonker New Member

May 27, 2003
    Sky Sports News just showed some highlights from this game. (Slow news day, I guess, despite all the Arsenal suspensions.)

Cooper didn't have much to do on either goal; for the first one he tapped the ball in from about 3 feet out from a nice-looking cross. He got the second one after the ball came to him in a scramble at the net. Again, he was standing right in the goal mouth, hit it against the left post this time and it went in off the back of the 'keeper's head. Still, two goals is two goals.

I think FSW will re-run this broadcast of Sky Sports News at 7:00 a.m. tomorrow (EST).

12. USsoccerman

USsoccerman Member

Oct 8, 2003
    New York
    Damn rihgt two goals are teo goals if that was Forlan for Man U he would've most likely missed them.

13. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    From another poster on the same thread:

Lump?;)

14. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Not to mention he's using the word "brilliant" in a context where no red-blooded American ever would.

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've never heard a Brad or Claudio interview have you?

Christ ,they even say "massive".....

16. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Friedel is a good example here. :)

BRAD: "Right then, that lad Donovan's a class footballer, and how 'bout that fit bird he's shagging."

17. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Definitely, you don't want to use Brad as your base case. Regarding Cooper, it's very typical to start using British words. But that accent that Brad's got going is another matter....Not that we need another thread debating it.

18. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Kenny has English parents, but was born in Texas and has lived there his whole life. You'd expect he'd pick up linguistic stuff from his parents. Aye.

19. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    I believe Kenny was born in Baltimore where his Dad was coach of the Baltimore Blast in the MISL. His father had been here for at least ten or twelve years when the kid was born. I think Kenny could easily fall into the accent since he's heard it from his Dad his whole life. I think he regards himself as an American.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Found this match report that gives a better description of Cooper's goals:
    http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/...fm?objectid=13575309&method=full&siteid=50081

And the report from TEAMtalk.com states, somewhat strangely:

"Yankee youngster Kenny Cooper - a player recommended by senior goalkeeper Tim Howard - scored twice as Newcastle were hammered 4-0 on Tyneside."

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,709517,00.html

21. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Somebody said earlier that Cooper talks like a Brit but with an American accent, if that makes any sense.

22. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Is that true that Tim recomended Cooper to Man Utd?? I don't remeber reading anything about that, i always thoughtr it was a connection through his fathers English roots. They probabley just made it up cause it sounds good

23. Creeper_thp

Creeper_thp New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I was always under the impression that Cooper was just playing on some youth team in Dallas when a United scout spotted him and signed him up. I guess they just figure everyone in America knows eachother.