Kelly retires

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by e_k1, Sep 25, 2003.

1. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    This mornings papers are reporting that Gary Kelly has retired from international football. I know he has struggled to get into the team since the world cup, but a strange decision as he is only 29, and a strange time to make it so close to the Swiss match.

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Kelly may have struggled lately in the Irish team (when he played), but there is no substitute for his experience. While the team does have quite a number of capable defenders, he will be missed.

He probably won't remember the WCQ with Holland too well, but he got very little backtracking support from McAteer that day, resulting in his 2 yellows. However, he played well in WC '94, and while he may not have covered himself in glory at WC '02, he didn't let himself down either.

He will be missed.

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's a shame, along with Kiely retiring. He wore the green shirt with pride and he will be missed.

4. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I can assure you I haven't retired!

;)

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Shhh!

6. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    It's a shame. He would have been a very handy player to have in the squad, if only to provide dependable cover in several positions, and at this stage he was one of the more senior players left.

As the others said, he'll be missed.