Keeping the bench warm- The Chelsea Reserve and Youth Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addicted2chelsea

Nov 11, 2007
    Australia
    16 year old schoolboy against a decent Norwich side . AVB said he had immense talent , hopefully we can nurture it .

2. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Kaby is off to Cyprus, never took his career seriously since the youth cup. All aura of a flair player tag was lost just before the u18 youth season & despite a good FAYC campaign he failed to make a positive step up. Arnesen rip off.

He & Jacob Mellis are my two big disappointments.

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed on both counts

I thought Kaby could be a good link player and for a while I thought he was exorcise the Gael Kakuta demons and be that crafty player between the lines but as you said- he just did not develop which is yet another soap box discussion as to why every "next best youth player" does not make it

bitterly disappointed in Mellis and at one time I really saw him being a good box to box player for us. This of course was around the time that Jenas was catching the eye and for me Jacob was almost a younger clone of him. Sad to see their two careers decline although I suspect Mellis will land on his feet in the Championship/League One and become a productive mid ala Cork and Hollands.

4. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Yes exactly & I also do see Mellis making it in football league but will have to find the passion if he wants to make it from League to PL.

It's bit good though that their next batch of juniors seem talented ones, Loftus Cheek is prominent but very young, Baker & Swift look quite good. Hopefully one of them will make it.

5. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    kaby has already exceeded my expectation of him tbh.

thought he was absolutely awful for a long time after he joined, but he's improved into a tidy little player. obviously going to be a bit of a struggle when he's 3ft nothing high.

mellis is good, had a very strong loan in the championship last year. nothing but reserve football this term for whatever reason. all the more reason for a B team.

6. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    just my take mate but the B teams would have to start much further down the Leagues to be fair to the tradition and history of many of the lower League clubs

the FA either has to get on board with that change or make changes to the loan restrictions and requirements

personally I dont see Mellis breaking into the first team with the contingent of midfielders we have, but as you say perhaps we could have followed up a good loan to Barnsley with another good loan which would give him a chance to catch the eye

7. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    As per Juni tweets, Dominik Masek is about to join Arnesen at Hamburg

8. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Vitesse reserves highlights from last week game vs ADO, where PVA & Davila played. Davila had an assist, PVA was involved in the first goal, made a good run that is:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yu90RKAqtg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yu90RKAqtg[/ame]

9. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    embarassing that in the announcement regarding Kaby that they list Rhys Taylor's loan move have been extended until the end of the season but he has yet to make an appearance

he has made two

the Official site is really poor for a club of our stature imo

10. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    of course, they should be starting in step 12. 100% agreement there. it's youth development at the end of the day, which is all about long termism.

would be playing against them myself!

11. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Seems Prosenik has signed for Milano

12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  13. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Bertrand Traore was able to come on during B.F.'s match against Senegal today.

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    any info on how he did?

15. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  16. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i recorded the game in the hope he may appear.

will watch it tomorrow if i get time.

17. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    if you find a sec can you provide a little analysis on how he did

cheers

18. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    no problem

19. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Writing on the wall for Prosenik IMO... a few in front of him and a couple younger talents on his heels.

20. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Lalkovic to ADO Den Haag on loan.

21. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Sam Walker allegeldy being offered an extention as well

good move as he looks a good prospect

probably does not spell the best future for Rhys Taylor and/or Matej Delac

22. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I think club is quit indifferent to Delac, since we signed Courtois & Blackman emergence for youth & reserves. Beside wasn't Delac also Arnesen signing, I doubt he has got much future here.

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    yes and I believe we spent around 1.5-2 mil for him as well

I have been pleased to see Jamal develop, but I still have concerns about his footwork, positioning and cross catching. Hopefully he will continue to improve in these areas.

I have been impreseed with Courtious so far, but as we have seen with DeGea- the Premiership requires a combination of being a good shot stopper and a competent handler of crosses. I still harbour serious concerns about Continental keepers and their ability to adapt to the aerial play in the Prem.

24. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An Atletico fan I know posted this for me on the comparison:

"He is fantastic. Great instincts, quick movements, reads the ball well. And he has received rave reviews from guys who know much more than me.

The last Atleti keeper to go to England -- De Gea -- is having a tough time. I sense that Courtois is more advanced, a bit more mature. "