Keane could face FA actions....

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by JRedknapp11, Aug 12, 2002.

1. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
  2. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Rumor is Haaland is thinking about sueing.

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The leg that is bothering Haaland is not the one that Keane touched in the tackle. It's an unrelated injury. Other than "intent", he doesn't have a leg to stand on.... ohh... sorry 'bout that.... :)

4. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    (Not too) Keane

So far as the injury being unrelated - I am skeptical. Haaland's injury problems occurred almost directly following the match in question and sometimes this type of damage is not apparant immediately (a day or two) after it happens. And, I know you intend to be humorous, but even a completely infatuated Manure fan like yourself must admit that Roy Keane's admission is downright scary (if the quote from the bio is actually true).

I think that dangerously play is unavoidable in soccer. And while undesirable, in two cases it is more or less "acknowledged" by the game because it can be dealt with within the context of the match being played.

Obviously there are players who are angered by a challenge or a play and see the "red haze" - In the midst of their spontaneous passion they lash out at another player (Le Seux, Hartson, etc). This type of behavior is illegal and is generally rewarded with a red card. The fact that FA is now using video to review situations that take place outside of the referee's field of vision is cracking down on excessive retaliation and cheap shots.

There are other players who are terrible instigators, using chippy tactics, their mouths and legal or illegal physical intimidation to get a rise out of opponants - Robbie Savage and Mauricio Tarrico come to mind. These guys often get the cards they deserve and referees don't cut them too much slack when they get a taste of their own medicine in the natural course of rugged play.

What Haaland did was not sporting, but it is important to recognize the context of that tackle as well. Keane was trying to foul Haaland with a spikes up challenge immediately before Haaland taunted him. Wrong, but a little more understandable. It sort of fits in the instigating category of acknowledged sins that are dealt with inside the context of the game.

However, there is something entirely different about a vigilante like Keane. I don't care if Haaland walked away with nary a scratch, what Keane did was unconscionable. It's not like Keane bided his time and made a rugged but perfectly legal tackle on Haaland as he was carrying the ball up the field with his head down. Keane viciously tackled him from behind with the premeditated intent to hurt him - years after the first altercation (can't use the "red haze" excuse).

Keane has his own "code" that works well for him. Sometimes he has been guilty of "red haze" type fouls and yet has still retained the respect of many due to his determination and commitment. However, if these comments are true, I have to wonder if his "code" is at odds with the acceptable limits of sport. He, and certainly other players who seek to emulate him, may indeed need to have some "code" modification imposed by way of a stiff ban. And if I ever hear this type of admission (or see an unequivocable demonstration of the same mentality) from Stevie G or Patrick Viera or any other player, than I will be the first to recommend it for them.

In no way does this type of play teach an instigator like Haaland sportsmanship. It is intended to be punative, and Keane is not the man to try, judge, sentence and dispense the punishment to another player. That is for the FA and I hope they take it upon themselves to carefully evaluate what Keane did and did not say and act accordingly.

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How many bad fouls are not intentional.
    It's just that Keane admitted it.

6. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I think that Gerrard, Viera and even Paul Scholes are often reckless in their challenges, but I am not so convinced about their intent. As I said above, anytime you can prove that a bad foul was intentional - then you should punish it. Due process requires that you prove their intent.

Keane's situation demands a harsher punishment because he has provided the proof (if the quotes are accurate) that his action was a) intentional b) premeditated and c) designed to injure.

It doesn't make him more of a man to admit what he did. It would make him more of a man if he admitted what he did, repented of it, apologized to Haaland and the fans and dedicated himself to playing the game with more integrity. Also, he would need to be gracious in accepting whatever punishment the FA levied. Than he would be worthy of a little respect.

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are going to use this to have a go at Roy and Manchester United both. Whether completely fair or not. The more rabid criticism will indeed come from the ABU's as you can see at ABU365.com....errr....Football365.com.

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    1) The book hasn't been published yet. Let's see how it's worded then.
    2) It just goes to show how behind the times the game is in terms of punishment. Basically, if you blatantly implicate yourself + admit to purposely doing it, you'll really be punished. Otherwise you'll miss a few games. Nice.

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more Keane opens his mouth about shite like this, the smarter Mick McCarthy looks.

10. fazfootball

fazfootball Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Uk
    roy keane is the hardest working player in the world and there is no question about that and well done for injuring a scum player

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A BigSoccer newbie with a classic first post.

12. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, Mr. Keane has joined us...

13. capt. america

capt. america Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Boston, MA
    roy keane is a ************ing wanker, and it really showed when he chose ego over country. now, he's showing that he is a tosser no matter what shirt he's wearing. what an a-hole this guy is...

14. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    (Not too) Keane

It will be curious to see how chippy opposing players react around Keane this season. I mean, there has always been a healthy dose of fear/respect but I wonder if there will be a lot less respect - and if there are some players who decide they want a big piece of Keano. I bet Paul Ince would even be a little more motivated than usual (if possible) if he was still at 'Boro when they played Manure.

One thing's for sure. The Derby between Man City and Manure will be one worth watching (or maybe not) for a couple of reasons -

1) KK is not going to want to be a perennial second fiddle to Man U and he may be the only man in the world who has the imagination to think about City rising up and becoming a bigger team.

2) Man City will have no fear in a city in which they are better loved than their rivals.

3) Haaland will likely be watching from the stands.

I just hope that they remember to play football and don't try to do a Keane on Keane (maybe Sir Alex will have him pick up a knock prior to the Derby matches).

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point and Point.

16. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    How does this prove that anyone is having a go at Manure because of Keane?

As for the man himself, it stands to reason that if someone does or says something despicable, that people will have a go at him doesn't it?

Besides, Captain America specifically referenced Keane in relation to Ireland ". . . put his ego above his country . . . ".

Read where he said "No matter what shirt he's wearing" . . . thus he didn't even try to make a point against Manure. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Manure besides the recent revelations about Roy Keane. If he wasn't such a jerk, he would be one of the (few) things to like about Manure.

17. Xxtreme

Xxtreme New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    What do u know, you scuttering gobshein! HE HAS ONLY EVER SHOWN TRUE COMMITMENT TO IRELAND AND MAN UTD!. Mick sent him home, after calling keane disloyal in front of the whole team, YOU SHITE! If u knew anything about football in england you'd know keane is the best player in the ************ing league! - what an arseholes people like u are - ************ OFF!!

18. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

i'd like to tell you mate roy keane is actually a moaning spoiled little $h1t!!

He needs a stiff slap and told to shut up.

He is an arogent, intolarable wanker. I read that brian clough punched him...i was so glad. A few more peole need to punch him.

He went in to that tackle with intent to cause injury to harland. He should be banned for a minimuim of 6 months. Many fouls are made and many are intent on fouling the player. but no player would ever want to injusry another professional. Roy keane is a tw@t that should be banned. I hope the fa come down hard on him.

I dont know who he is. He always thinks he is bigger and better than everyone else. I was one for supporting mick mcCarthy. He came out last season complaining about his teamamtes not giving it there all. I woul personally hit him if he ever said that to me, he has to right to question other people commitment. Just because they aret all getting sent off and trying to cripple fellow professionals does not mean they are not commited...

In full he is just a nob!

19. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Re: (Not too) Keane

I'm going a bit off topic here, but KK will continue to play second fiddle to SAF and Man United as he always has. He lost it when he was with Newcastle when he had to go head to head with United and he'll lose it again, but a lot quicker and to a greater degree, being in the same town as United. City will always claim to be a massive club, but they never will be.

But I do agree that this year's Manchester derby matches will be great to see. Besides the whole Keane/Haaland ordeal, we've got KK as City's manager (United fans are going to have so much fun with that), Schmeichel in a City shirt (and I thought it seemed wrong seeing him in a Villa kit), and the return of the derby matches themselves after City spent a year in Div 1 (where they will be back next year).

20. Manu LD

Manu LD New Member

Jul 11, 1999
    London, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think they will stay up. May even suprise some and make the top ten.

Keane is not to bright IF he did write that in his book. Haaland is a plank, but to do that and then admit it in a book is....well whatever.

This will be a nice excuse to bash ManU, but I haven't seen as much of that as I thought I would.

ManU should punish Keane.

21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It seems the general consensus on these boards that. “Unless you have your head stuffed so far in the manure pile that only your feet show."the second point is a lot more valid and more widely accepted…….:)

22. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Of course Roy Keane is an unhinged wanker. Doesn't stop him being a great player though, does it?

The above is a quote from a mate of mine that I got from him via email today. He's a United fan, from Chorley. He, like every other real United fan I know (and living in the region, you do meet the odd one) will happily admit when something the club, or someone at the club, has done sucks. That's just the way of things. You support what the club is and what it represents for you - because it represents you. If something sucks, you oppose or condemn it. That's what football fans do when someone is dicking around with the image of their club.

It's only the OOTers that get all riled with the actual criticism itself - it's a natural reflex. If you're a "Man Yoo fan" then, by definition, you are some replica-shirt wearing tosspot from the other side of the country/continent/globe and football fans in your area quite rightly want to know what on earth you are doing supporting any team other than the local one. So "Man Yoo fans" spend their entire time in a footballing context on the back foot - you know: "oh, my dad used to tell me stories about George Best". "Oh, I saw that goal from Norman Whiteside in the FA Cup and that was it, I was hooked".

And all the rest of that risible garbage.

So when something comes along like this, the natural reflex of all but the real fans is to launch into Alamo mode "everyone hates us, anyone-but-united, herd mentality (LOL! from a Man Yoo fan ... :D) etc, etc, blah blah waah wahh".

You just have to take it for what it is. Then there's no real debate on the issue. Just like with the real fans, who are just a bit pissed off it's their club been made to look stupid again by something Roy bloody Keane has said or done.

23. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny seeing more and more people wearing brand new Man Utd shirts in my neck of the woods. And especially since I've now started to see more and more wearing Arsenal, Liverpool, and Newscastle kits also. I think the growth of football in my country is a great thing. Every time I see an EPL jersey as opposed to some Italian Kappa Crap jersey or a Mexican/South American Puma kit, I get giddy.

I like coming here and discussing footy, and enjoying the occasional banter with other "opposing" fans. Unfortunately, they seem to want to dismiss the arguments I make with "scathing" attacks based purely on where I happen to live and questioning my Manchester United "Supporters Credentials". Yeah, you can say I'm only a Manchester United supporter cause Georgie Best came to play for my local team, and from watching tapes of the '68 Cup Final and other matches in the late 60's, 70's, and 80's, that I have no claim to call myself a REAL supporter. Well, you can forget it. I support MY team and it's players. You can try and belittle me all you want, but I ain't going nowhere. And next time, why don't you put forth real opinions and/or answers instead of acting like you speak for thousands of fans or "the general populace"? Thank you.

24. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh do hush up. I'm only pulling yer chain. Besides - that's a genuine observation, commonly held by all proper - sorry, "local" United fans too. The nature of supporting a club alters, the greater the distance between you and "your" club. People for whom the club is a daily presence in their lives view things differently from people whose only access to it is through a cathode ray tube. People who are forever having to justify their support of a club they have no actual ties to are more naturally prone to being crybabies about the scorn their club attracts from other supporters. If they happen to be Man Yoo fans, then things are just all the worse.

In actual fact, the above characterisation of a "Man Yoo fan" is more accurate in the UK than in the US, because you don't have a high enough concentration of other soccer fans to make the peer pressure sufficiently constant for that paranoid tick, so common in Kent, to develop.

25. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is just completely ignorant. a player should never attempt to injure another on purpose... EVER. we are not questioning mr. keane's work ethic. he has proven that he is a world class player, but he has also proven that he has no class as well. what a chump.