KC Wizards Stadium News/Discussion 08.2 (Now Governor approved!)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Beech, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Re: KC Wizards Stadium News/Discussion 08.2

It's spelled l-o-o-p, but pronounced 'ass'.

2. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd guess he's meaning either Southridge Mall or Merle Hay Mall. Jordan Creek is the king, and I would imagine Valley West is second (could be wrong on that, though).

3. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its Des Moines, theres not a lot of diversity around here no matter where you go. Also, ever since MHM lost their ProImage I've been going to Valley West as much as possible, seeing as how the taxes there go to Polk County. Now, if Ankeny actually builds their version of Jordan Creek, that would create quite the situation.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand: the more I read about this situation, the more I wonder what in the hell Tolbert is thinking. He clearly doesn't have the interests of the black community on his mind by doing any of this, and he clearly doesn't have the best interests of KC on his mind...seriously, can someone really be this self-absorbed???

4. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sorry is this a serious question?

...can a slum lord be this self absorbed?

....yes, absolutely...just watch the super, wait don't do that:D

5. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Too bad I'll be leaving before anything awesome like that develops in Ankeny (my place of residence).

Actually, depending on where in the metro you go, there's a fair amount of diversity (the Hispanic population especially). Thinking of my favorite Salvadoran restaurant in particular. Pupusas...yummm. :D

Hey Gooner, I'm driving through Grimes 5 days a week this month on my way to Dallas Center...nice little town.

6. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007

guys,

you're all correct....we're building 600,000 sq. ft. of retail and a 250-room hotel day one, with the stadium. mr. tolbert is unclear about our plan. our plan will be good for all residents in the area.

7. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea, emphasis on the little. Oh well, it is the stereotypical podunk Iowan town...but I love it for that. However, I went to school in Johnston and spent most of my time there throughout high school.

Sure, theres a little bit of diversity, but we're no Houston.

As for Southridge, I didn't even remember that place...is it still open??? I don't know, I don't hit up the south side too often.

8. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think this mall has got to go, otherwise the whole project is off to somewhere else.......

9. s0ccerstud86

s0ccerstud86 Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Columbia, Mo
  10. DinamoTFC

DinamoTFC Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Toronto
  11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While that's true, it looks like it's ignoring his plan B that he has to get funding for him to buy the mall. It doesn't even make a mention of his new plan.

I think this is just about his first plan failing. I've emailed the author of the story to get clarification though.

12. dusty144

dusty144 Member

Sep 14, 2006

Robb,

Thanx for dropping in and making that clear for us.

There has been some confusion on when the various phases will end. We know the Stadium finish date is very firm, but how about the hotel and retail.

Most reports appear to show that this section may finish years later, leaving the Stadium by itself for the first few years. Apparently this is what many folk are picking up on. Stadium first then everything else.

If you don't want to answer I'll understand. But we would settle for a hint I think.:D:D

Also any update on the Stadium Rendering party?;)

13. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, the quote from Robb that you had in your post states "we're building 600,000 sq. ft. of retail and a 250-room hotel day one, with the stadium." I think that answers your question, doesn't it?

14. dusty144

dusty144 Member

Sep 14, 2006

Yes, I did get that, thanx.

Phase 1 begins with the Stadium, 250 room hotel and 600,000 sqft of retail.

It is the completion date that is under issue here. The stadium is set for Spring/Summer 2010. Most reports have Phase 1 completion in 2012.

What gives.

15. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not holding my breath on this.....until the mall is actually demolished, he will keep trying to interrupt the process. I don't see him giving up this easily.

16. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unfortunately, if the mall were to "hypothetically" implode on its own, that would be a hindrance to the Three Trails project.. (At least according to Dave Ficklin and Chris Wyche..)

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Got an email back this morning. Looks like she didn't know about Tolbert's plan B, as she asked me where I'd heard that, so I provided her with links. Apparently Tolbert was refusing to answer her questions...

18. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True to form. I wonder how long it will be before we hear about his Plan B in the media? I would bet something happens within a couple of days....:mad: Does anybody know when Lane4 is scheduled to gain ownership of the property?

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well it's been in the media. Both NBC and the KC Biz Journal have mentioned he's going to try his other plan to get the mall cut out of the plan and get TIF money to redevelop it.

20. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know this and you know this, but what I am wondering is how long it will be before Tolbert takes his next action and when the general media will explain the details of what he is up to. From the Star's story on Saturday, it makes the casual observer think Tolbert is done fighting and the project will go on without any more hiccups, when we all know he is just getting started. The sooner the public is made aware, the sooner the people who are upset with his tactics can speak out like they have been over the past few weeks on the opinions page. The Star should have known better than to put a newbie reporter on this story.

21. dusty144

dusty144 Member

Sep 14, 2006

The Stadium and the land under it will belong to the city. This is part of the TIF agreement.

The TIF is now in force, meaning the city will offer fair value for the properties and take possession of the land. The city is required to 'convey' the land to Lane 4. The city can walk in there and start demo today if they felt like it. Eminent Domain is part of the TIF approval process, so if owners resist.....

In effect Lane 4 are on the clock. The 23 years has begun.

Also the 'Decline to Sign' campaign should stay in effect, At least for a bit more time so Tolbert can't get enough signatures to convince a judge to intervene.

22. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As usual, your knowledge of the topic is invaluable and appreciated, Dusty! :) It does sound like we are moving closer to the point of no return, but I will remain cautiously optimistic until the wrecking ball hits the mall!

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. dusty144

dusty144 Member

Sep 14, 2006

http://www.kccommunitynews.com/articles/2008/02/06/wednesday_sun/news/doc47a77e0ed52a7868776779.txt

From a Non-Rookie reporter.:p

Excellent. :D:D

Here we go. That 2012 date again.

Looks like the powers that be are keeping an eye on our pet dark shadow.

25. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe that 2012 is for completion of the entire project, not the stadium.