KC vs. SJ 9/20 Postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Lucid, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes and you had a whopping 16,507 out this weekend. Quality numbers from the biggest city.

2. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Check and mate....

I'll just add that any Metro fan that wants to come troll over here should stop now. Thats your warning, before I ask for you to be carded. Capish???

(Note: you're talking crap about attendance when the NY area has 10 times the population as KC, yet averages 100 more per game? Some advice for you, THINK THEN TYPE.)

3. wizardsrunner

wizardsrunner New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City, MO
    welcome to 4th place

That was quite a beating, and a well-deserved one, too...San Jose just outclassed us for the vast majority of the game. Results like this do not exactly get me pumped for the postseason...assuming that Dallas doesn't catch fire (no pun intended) and, in turn, catch us.

San Jose is a better organized team than we are by such a long way. There were so many times that they seemed to know exactly what their teammates were doing and where they were going. On the other hand, we just don't work together that well. A unified team of 11 players will trounce 11 individuals every time, and we sure saw that in effect last night.

Could our passing be any worse? We had a lot of weak passes and passes that seemed to be for SJ players rather than our own. Of course, we tend to bunch up a lot, too, so we're not open as much.

dgb09, I could not agree with you more. I was in Section 102, and it looked like there might have been a bit of a tug on Preki's jersey, but nothing in my view that warranted a foul call anywhere on the field, let alone in the box (and, let's face facts, the standards are higher there). Preki cries about it, the rest of the team stands around, and SJ takes a 1-0 lead. It seems to me that, whether you think there should have been a whistle or not, if the whistle isn't blown, you need to keep playing. It reminds me of times when I see a throughball played to an attacker who slips behind the defense. The defense, rather than trying to defend as best they can, instead stop and raise their hands as if this will convince the AR to raise the flag. I almost sprained my larynx, I was so upset about that. :)

Congrats to Arnaud on notching another goal. Some people on this board like him, some not so much, but he has our last 2 run of play goals. It was hustle, just cleaning up a rebound, but I'll take them any way we can get them.

9 of 18 shots on goal, according to MLSnet...this strikes me as significant improvement from what we've seen, and we made Onstad work a little, which is great! I still wish we'd kept it down more...why shoot high on a keeper who's 6'3" or 6'4"?

Great crowd...it's a shame we didn't do much to convince them to buy tickets and come back.

Well, if next week doesn't inspire the players to fight for a win, nothing else will...bring on LA!

4. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    9,669 to 18,331

5. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    that was as of 01 all time attendance average, for the wizards and metrostars...and im glad 30,000 showed up for the wizards most recent game, but you have to admit the people in kansas city could have done a tiny bit better regardless of the size of your city and what not and im not trying to troll here just curious why teams like kc and especially san jose at least you guys are improving vastly unlike the quakes who can barely get a single game over 10,000. im not here to anger you fans its just that i want mls to stay alive and not fall thru like the nasl did or the wusa just recently. but my intention is not to troll we all need to improve.

6. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I love it when newbies comeback and try to justify themselves. Nobodys buying it. If The only attendence smack you can bring up is from 1/4 of the league's existence ago, then you ain't tryin very hard. Don't tell me you didn't come here to troll, when you start talkin Metrosmack in a thread about KC and San Jose.

A city of 10 million people can barely out draw a city metro area of 1.6 million. That is some pretty piss poor marketing. Especially when the New York has a very diverse ethnic background. There are more people who have a built in cultural background in New York, than there are people in the KC metro area. The KC metro area isn't very diverse in its ethnic groups. There are about 70,000 hispanics, and a few thousand Samoans. with an americanized group of Italians, Germans, and Irish.

7. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on a completley different note, something is telling me i left my jacket at the game, i know its a long shot, but would anyone on here happen to be in posession of it? its a blue kappa itallia jacket. PM me if you do.

I would make this a new thread, but i dont think my stupidity is worth it. :)

8. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an awful nice jacket to be misplacing ya know?

9. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    not a blue jacket, but Preki did leave his blue jersey in my hands. :D

10. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    From an Earthquakes fan's perspective, it was nice to Donovan finally get on track. From an MLS fan, it was GREAT to see the nice crowd. Way to go. Hats off to your marketing department.

Someone mentioned you guys getting Garlick in the offseason (Bad move. Meola with both arms behind his back and both legs amputated has GOT to be better than Garlick.) How about we trade you one of our keepers for your entire marketing department?

11. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *#*#*#*# you Matt.... :D

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Dude, Preki's shirt barely fits around Matts beer belly. I'm thinking you wouldnt be able to get into it John. :D

13. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I wish. I do agree that Klein's trade value is higher than his value to the team, but I don't think NE would go for this, especially considering how long they've been trying to take the pressure off Ralston to create everything in midfield. Nowak retired, and Vasquez, well, just isn't very good. I doubt they'd trade Ralston now that they have someone in Cancela to help him out.

I'd look to trade him since we could get plenty for him. I still say Klein would make a very good right back though.

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now, i'm aware that this is no english class, but that is the longest run-on sentence i've ever read

15. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but it would have made an excellent addition to my memorabilia collection.

16. refused77

refused77 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    KCMO
    I'm suprised to see so much support for diego after that game...I know its usually wrong to blame one person for a goal...

but diego was directly burned on the 1st and 4th goals

it was embarrassing to see how our backline handles pressure when we are trying to possess it in the back compared to san jose's backline

17. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    Just going off memory here, but wasn't he split between Ekelund's run and Donovan's dribble? Pretty tough choice, cause if Ekelund gets the ball, he walks in. As it was Donovan had to work to get his shot off.

I think Conrad was more your weak link. Then again in all honesty, I wasn't that sorry to see him leave. He has picked up his game a bit though...

18. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal #1 is all Diego. Somebody tracks across the field w/ Ekelund(?) so Diego is only concerned w/ Donovan. Diego over-commits & gets smoked. Conrad tries to get across to help, but doesn't make it in time. Also, note Garcia standing 5 yards behind Conrad - marking nobody & watching the game go by.

Goal #2 is a short corner done right. (We don't ever get to see those in KC.) Dunivant to Mulrooney who sends a nice ball over the top & into the 6 yard box. Robinson was marked early but everybody in the middle pushes out to leave him wide open. Garcia gets close, but only because he followed somebody's run into the area.

Goal #3 is just plain ugly. Roner passes to Donovan - Diego tries to break that up and misses, Donovan then dribbles between Quill & Garcia untouched & lays it off to DeRosario. Quill makes another feeble sliding attempt at defense. DeRo sends the ball into the box & Landon outruns Conrad to get to it. Total defensive meltdown.

Goal #4 - Coralles blows by Conrad & Talley on the left sideline & the passes square to Landon. At this point, Talley (who had recovered to get good position on Coralles) just kind of walks along the 20 yard line towards the center of the field. Diego lunges-in and gets smoked once more. Conrad tries to chase him down... Garcia makes a half-a$$ed attempt at stopping Donovan.

19. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep...good thing i didnt actually lose it. i left it in my car. didnt bother to check until now.

oh well.

20. Wizardgirl3

Wizardgirl3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Kansas City, MO
    Kinda random, but there was some guy taking pictures (I'll feel really dumb if the guy was Andy), and he took my picture, so I was wondering where it ended up. If anyone knows who I'm talking about, please PM me. He was in the tunnel a lot if that helps any.

21. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he short with glasses? If so that was Wade and they should have been up by now.

22. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he standing behind the goal, just on the edge of the adboards? If so, he works for the Wizards...

As I found out when he said "I'd love to shoot that sign, but I work for the Wizards so I can't."

23. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    He was standing in the tunnel for most of the pre game, I think he had dark hair, kind of balding and a goatee. Of course I can't remember too well but I've never seen him before...

24. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey did you bring some friends with you to the game last Sat?

25. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Spoon, that avatar makes you look downright demonic. :)