KC vs. SJ 9/20 Postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Lucid, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    SJ 4 - 1 KC
    Scoring:
    SJ - Landon Donovan 8 (unassisted) 26
    SJ - Eddie Robinson 1 (Richard Mulrooney 6, Todd Dunivant 5) 54
    KC - Davy Arnaud 3 (unassisted) 59
    SJ - Landon Donovan 9 (Dwayne De Rosario 2) 70
    SJ - Landon Donovan 10 (Ramiro Corrales 1) 93+

Wasn't too optimistic about this game going into it, but this definately isn't what I was expecting. It's been 9 games since a win. The last one occured on July 19th. You don't get any worse that this.

Oh well... hopefully they'll be able to turn it on going into the post-season.

Great showing with 30,308 there! Not quite what they were hoping for, but still... sets a Wizards record, so they did at least beat one record tonight. As a shameless self-pimping, I hit it right on the head when I predicted 30k would show up.

The big crowd curse hits us once again. :mad:

2. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    Pros and Cons

Just got home from the Head and still amazed by the performance. Here are pros and cons from today's game.

Pro:
    Crowd: Not as large as hoped, but sounded great. Best goal reaction since US vs. CR. I guess that's what happens when you give away tickets.

Diego: He looked good all game. He was fast on defense to track back and break up SJ attacks. He did a good job of moving the ball from defense to offense as well.

Garcia: He looked very good at times during this game. There were some SJ attacks that I actually had no concern about because he looked in complete control of the situation.

Watching Landon: Not exactly a pro from a Wizards fan perspective, but this guy is otherworldly. He's too good for this league.

Cons:
    Meola: He was just awful. There was not much he could do on the first goal, and maybe the third. However, on the second goal, everyone in the stadium could see what was coming -- Meola included -- but he couldn't react in time to get to the ball. On the fourth goal, it was like he didn't even care. Seriously, he barely stuck out his leg. He might as well have been standing at the near post smoking a cigarette for all the effort he put into actually playing his position. I'm pretty much off Meola now. He's just not all that great anymore. But he can still scream after a play ends.

Klein: That boy ain't right. For the record, I love Klein. I've been an apologist in the past and I'm not saying he's awful now. But something is going on with him. He doesn't look as fit or dangerous as he has in the past; even earlier this season. Maybe it's tactics. If so, it's not working.

Conrad: He seems to try really hard and is a good guy. But it seems that whenever we're scored on he's not far away.

Wolde Harris: Just not lighting it up. We don't have much for offensive options these days, but he missed a sitter when it was still 2-1 that could have changed things.

I'm trying not to be all gloom and doom, but the way that game ended was just awful. This team is in a downward spiral, but there is still time. If Gansler can right the ship and get things turned around he might have still be with the team next year.

3. fuentga

fuentga New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Buenos Aires
    Has Gansler been fired?

Diego is slow..and gives balls away..and is at fault for the first goal of Landon..

Klien, Zavi, Quill, and Garcia are A-league potential..

We have one creative player that is slow and only plays on one side of the field//

Gansler is an A-league coach..

I hope we lose the rest of our games..we need a complete overhaul

4. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And was still our best defender on the field...

5. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    I have to take issue with this. The entire team was at fault for that goal, not the least of which Preki.

After Preki didn't get a call for basically falling over the leg of a SJ defender, he sat up and whined. The rest of the team sort of stopped and watched Preki. SJ took advantage and had us on our heels and then Landon put it away.

Preki was still on one knee watching the play when the goal was scored.

As far as a complete overhaul is concerned, well, you're right on about that. I'd rather not lose the rest of our games to prove the point though. :)

6. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The bigger the crowd, the worse we lose.

7. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    Diego, played a good game on defense, but gave up the ball no less then eight times. These weren't forced errors, they were plain and simple passes straight to the SJ players. No wizards even around.

I seriously am starting to question if Tony is our starting goalie next season. I admit I love the guy, but shoot the ball low and it's a gimme that he isn't going to get to it. Tony has given up way to many soft goals this year. Granted most of these goals should never have made it past our defense but they did and tony it seems has shown that he is very very beatable.

Walde is slow slow slow slow slow, He holds the ball well but is so damn slow that he isn't good much for making runs. Davey put on a good show and as far as I could tell was the only forward all night that hung out up top in the box.

Preki, I am herby demoting you from god status to demi-god or even lower until you learn to pass the ball instead of taking on three defenders only to loose the ball.

I am not sure there is a bright side to this team at all right now and as much as I try not to be negative it hurts to watch this sub A-League performance.

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what reallly pisses me off is when your friend, and drinking partner, calls the landon hat-trick before the game.

this is one of those losses unlike most of the other losses in a season. most losses, you bitch and moan, and complain about what went wrong, and what could've been done to prevent it. after this loss, i just don't have it in me to complain, or bitch and moan. i just don't.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yes, so do we :D

sorry didn't mean to troll, I know how you guys feel.

10. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, we HAVE seen it 9 times before...

but this one HURT.

11. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    so why was there such a good turnout tonight???

whatever it is keep it up because you KC fans have always brought us down in league wide attendance.

12. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    It was some break the record night for them. They worked out a deal with a supermarket chain to distribute tickets.

13. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holding the league down huh. A city as big as NY, you would think that you could average more than 16000. I think you are holding the league back.

14. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not only that, but apparently he's from Florida.

We all know Florida's great track record on attending MLS games.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same way, I'm just so disappointed in there play the last 2+ months, that it's not even worth it to complain about them losing anymore. It's just so frustrating after the way we started the season that we are now on the longest winless streak in club history, even in 99 with Newman we didn't go this long without a win.

16. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob L. assesment of the match. --KC StarHere

17. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Every game I have had this feeling of "I know we won't even score..." and in most cases, we don't. There's not even words to say how terrible this is...I'm not even gonig to insult our team, because I wouldn't even know what to say. They honestly looked like they could win when they went out onto the field, but I guess not. It really feels like we may not get a win the rest of the season...which is a terrible thing to say.

On a side note, there was some idiot sitting behind me in the cauldron who kept calling a header a "head but" and also kept saying "don't pass it backwords, you SOB, your going the wrong way!" whenever the guy with the ball was being pressured. If you are this guy and you are reading this...you are a total moron (I don't think it is anybody here though since everybody is smarter than that.)

18. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it the dude with the weird girl who was squeking or some other high pitched noise everytime somethign went wrong.

19. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh well??? Dude there is 5 games left in the season to "turn it on". After last night it looks like we will be stumbing in the dark trying to find the light switch.

20. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent article, but a great headline. The print version is a bit better, but it's sad that Luder didn't question Gansler's quote.

"We're really going through a bad patch." NS Bob... Really.

"We're looking for the snake to bite us in the posterior. We're trying too hard."

Note to Bob. You're the snake... You need to do something to motivate the team. And with the possible exception of Preki and Diego, we're most definitely NOT trying too hard.

21. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Yup...the guy was a bit heavier and hispanic and the girl had kind of blonde hair and glasses. They were probably in the 6th or 7th row.

22. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    not from florida buddy just going to college here.
    plus other than this night, when was the last time KC got anything over 20,000? uh metrostars got 20,000 last time we played chicago....and we didn't do any promotion

23. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO

This would be our second game of the season over 20,000

If you want to talk smack about attendence then you are on really poor footing.

Metro avg. attendence 16420
    KC avg. attendence 16354

Metro season high-23786
    KC season high- 30308

Metro season low- 9110
    KC season low-9096

Do some research before you spew that crap from from behind your keyboard.

freakin' [​IMG]

24. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    absolutly attrocious play by just about everyone. We need to trade for Scott Garlick in the offseason, dump wolde for a better defender, hell, trade Klein, too. We need a revamp, or at the very least, our players need to start playing up at thier previous level. On paper we have a great squad. On the field we have ugly product. Dalls has looked better recently, they may have a bad record and may be losing, but at least they're trying and have come close to winning a few matches.

25. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klein for Ralston?