KC vs RSL USOC Post game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Apr 18, 2007.

1. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to disagree. From what I heard, in addition to almost scoring (hitting the crossbar), Sean mentioned Raybould's name a number of times for making good plays.

At least, that's the way I remember it. :)

2. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the amount of games that Zavagnin will be getting in the next week forced that substitution.

Sabotage said it correctly now we can focus on MLS Cup.

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think anyone can judge anyone's performances based on radio commentary.

As for subs, I think it was good to give as many potential subs/reserves as many minutes as possible.

The RSL eyewitness reviews of Marinelli are encouraging.

Now we need EJ's sports psychologist to work with Marinelli on this temper.

4. soulman

soulman Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Based on what I'm hearing from the RSL fans, I'm pumped about Marineli - I think this is what we have been missing in the middle.

The question now becomes what do we do with the other players. Sasha has been playing very well, and Z didn't play too poorly either. Does Sasha go wide and let Marineli and Z play in the middle? Or use Z as a sub and have a pairing of Sasha and Marineli in the middle? The only problem I see with a Sasha/Marineli pairing is it may leave bit of a hole in the middle with both of them tending to push forward and not recover all the time. People have suggested Sasha up top, but I don't think that uses his skill set the best - he has an attacking mentality, and doesn't always recover the best. Plus with his heigth, he wins a lot of balls in the mid.

Thoughts?

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you pull off to push Sasha out wide?

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Until Marinelli is ready to go 90 minutes he sits and comes off the bench as needed.

Once fit it depends on the form of Sasha and KZ.

The most natural fit seems to be a diamond mid with KZ sitting back and Marinelli behind the front two.

However, as Sasha seems to be in the best form right now, he might sit back in the midfield and KZ might sit.

I think the competition for places is healthy and one of the reasons that Sasha is playing so well right now.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree completely, I mentioned in another thread you start the game expecting your guys to be able to go the full 90. He'll get there, but right now he can come off the bench, and if he comes on with the spark he had last night, we'll be really dangerous.

8. Craig-o

Craig-o Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Derby, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My God. This is the best dilemma we've seen as Wizards fans for quite some time. And this time it's not a "lesser of two evils" decision.

Is it too soon to say that the gaping hole in our midfield has been filled?

9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Unfortunately it is too soon to say that.

Marinelli has played one reserve match and one USOC match. Too soon to tell.

Signs are good, but he started with a bang at Middlesboro too. Yes, he was a teenager then.

A full 90 minutes in a league match will tell us more. Then he needs to play week in and week out with the same level of consistency as our top starters.

I am also a little concerned about this mysterious foot injury that isn't getting much press.

10. torofan

torofan New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    u sayin he might still have it? i really doubt that....cos if that's the case he would not be able to train and run. as simple as.
    he injured his foot(undearneath plant) after the 3rd game with Braga....and that was end of the season for him. he simply could not train.....as runnin on it would hurt and make it worse.
    he tried to get a contract in the summer when braga released him but wherever he went he failed medicals cos he was still not over it.
    word spread fast and he was blacklisted .
    he then had no choice but return to argentina at Boca training facilities to concentrate only on his recovery.....he's been since then months and months out of the game,out of football.
    from what i know its the same injury thats kept harry kewell out of the game so far....and it looks like kewell will have a 1 year recovery from it too.

u would have not found a player like this in the bargain bin if he didnt have some major knokbacks in his career. i f he enever had injuries, if he never had rifts with coaches etc...he would not be in MSL.

and about his temper....yeh thats him i guess :rolleyes:
    in the past it was really bad.
    he got sent off a few times...i thought he would have learnt from that though.
    during the turin derby aganst juventus (he playd awesome up to that point)
    he pushed the referee! i was like wtf why spoil a game with something so stupid! (but to his partial excuse that referee was later found out to be on juventus payroll and the refereein durin that games was nothin short from scandalous.....also in serie A some players like Totti always push the referee and never get sent off :rolleyes: ).
    i really doubt he will ever do the same mistake again.

11. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Word is he still has the injury and is playing thru it.

12. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, the post-game interviews with Conrad, Victorine, and Marinelli are finally available - sorry about the delay. It takes us a bit longer when we have to translate (written translation of the Marinelli interview is posted).

Wizards interviews

Good luck to you guys going forward........until we meet again in KC on 7/14.

13. soulman

soulman Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Agreed - it will be weighed at the time that Marinelli can go 90.

I would agree completely that it looks like Sasha has stepped it up this year - has played at a very high level the first two games - hopefully he can sustain that througout the year! I think the competition has been great, and I wouldn't discount the new coach factor.

14. torofan

torofan New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    who's word is it?
    if thats the case then u signed a flop.....simply u cant play footabll seriously if your foot is hurting. he will have to stop very soon if thats the case cos running and playin on it is bound to make it worse and get it sore.