KC vs. DC: MLS Cup Pregame

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Nov 7, 2004.

1. jstoen

jstoen New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Kansas City

Yes it is at least we have lunch and Big Soccer to release some anticipation.

2. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    I'm going to put in my two cents from the point of view of the opposition.

KC is perhaps the most consistent team in MLS. Y'all had a couple of slip ups this summer, but in general you play excellent, team oriented soccer. Solid defense, good midfield, and a zany offense.

DC United has had an up and down season, but in the past 8 games we've only lost once (and didn't tie at all). DC plays a much more dynamic game (which has its ups and downs). When played well, our midfield dominates the middle third allowing us to maintain posession. With posession our triumverate of Moreno, Eskie, and Gomez generally manage to pull something out. However when we are off, or missing critical players, it leaves us wide open to counter attacks (which KC are very good at).

In regards to the NE game, we were missing our team captain/central defender Ryan Nelson. This helps explain the number of goals scored against us. In addition, NE played some brilliant football (which honestly surprised the hell out of me).

I'd honestly give DC United a 50% chance of pulling it off, and if I wasn't such a fan I wouldn't want to put money on it. Whatever happens, it's going to be a brilliant game.

--kravi

Vamos United! Vamanos!

3. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    With KC's stifling defense I expect a low scoring contest, much like the 2000 MLS Cup. 1-0 or a 0-0 draw wouldn't surprise me, but I hope that I'm wrong. A nationally televised final needs a game like Saturday night, but I don't expect one from a Ganzler coached team. Yes I know you scored three against SJ, but DCU has a better defense and a choppy, niggling standoff is very likely IMO.

4. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, but secretly he's working to bring you down from the inside. It will all come to fruition on Sunday...MWHA HA HA HA!!!!

ps. joeguy.....niggling?

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Just checked the weather. Looks like a 40% chance of rain. Mid 60s for highs, upper 40s for lows.

6. jstoen

jstoen New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Pretty much what we have here, DANGIT!!

7. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update: Received a reply from Justin saying that he would see what he could do re: the mention.

8. The Revernen of Info

Oct 19, 2004
    Kansas City KS
    So if D.C is hot what is K.C? Remember that K.C beat San Jose 3-0 in a must win by three goal game. And look at what we did to L.A. 2-0 and they had maybe 3 shots all game!! K.C has to be the most hot team in MLS if that makes any sense...

9. hartley

hartley Member

So, it would seem to me that we have no roster changing injuries. Zavagnin played the whole match.

I heard that Moreno got hurt a little in that match with the Revs. He was limping. Anyone know his status?

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He seemed fine, to me.

11. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a chat today on the Washington Post site, DCU beat writer Steven Goff said about Moreno "Just leg cramps, but I will get an update at practice tomorrow."

About Bryan Namoff, he said "Namoff was hurting, but not believed to be anything serious. I'll check his status tomorrow at practice."

12. quakesfan2003

quakesfan2003 New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Brentwood, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes fan here...

I will be in SoCal this weekend, but not for the Cup final as planned. Instead, I am going to be seeing family, but just wanted to wish you luck and say you have a fan for the weekend. Keep it in the West!!

13. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the KC/DC Concert at HDC...

As a fan of the Galaxy and a supporter of MLS, I wish your team luck in utterly destroying Adu's chances of a rookie ring during the KC/DC concert at Victoria Street.

Any questions?

Tommy Mack
    LA Riot Squad

14. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
  15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Isn't Moreno always limping?

16. hartley

hartley Member

That may be true. But he was having more problems than usual. Watch his penalty kick again. Very weak. But he's probably okay for Sunday.

17. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just cramp, he'll be fine -- until Nick kicks him into row 5 of sec. 127 :)

18. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    And then we dogpile him like Abu Ghraib and beat the sh!t out of him. :D

19. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Also remember that DC is unbeaten in the post season, reagrdless of the score.

KC, I believe, has been shut out quite recently....

....DCU gettin it done!

20. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Without having to play a number one seed.

21. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kovalenko stole his cane

22. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Did you guys see how weak Rimando is in the air? Noonan is no giant and beat him squarely on the third goal, and there were other examples.

I think he needs a steady diet of crosses with Stephenson, Taylor, Conrad et. al. on the end of them. That's how KC wins this.

23. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    It reminded me of the one the McBride missed on the Wolff dive a few months back against ...Poland, I think.

24. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A game guide is now up on MLSnet.com: http://www.mlsnet.com/pdf/cup_gameguide.pdf
    Looks like everyones vertically challenged ref gets the center honor after being the center in only 12 games this year. Yes the one with the Napoleanic control issue, Mr Michael Kennedy. Doesn't call a ton of fouls or cards but does give up quite a few PK's (8 in 12 games he did - tied for first) interestingly enough.

Although it doesn't contain the injury report, it does say Meola is definetly out for this one.

Both teams will get to wear their home uni's!!!:D

Nice statistical layout on a few things.

25. CompSlave

CompSlave Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Although on one page it does say that he is definitely out, on page four it says he is not listed on the this week's injury report, which meshes with the following:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20041110&content_id=18622&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp[/URL]