KC vs. Colorado Leg 2 post-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Lucid, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well Wizards win as expected, 2-0. Beginning of the game was a little shaky, but the last 55 minutes or so was played pretty well by the Wizards. Could have easily been 4-0 had the Wizards finished on a couple golden opportunities. Could have been 2-2 as well.

I like our chances against LA if we play them. God... can't believe I'm actually going to be rooting for LA in a game. But if they don't win the series, I really don't like our chances in San Jose.

2. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    For those of you at the game, here's some highlights. Figured I'd play around with a new program I got.

1st Half - 23 megs
    http://people.ku.edu/~dgath/half1.avi

2nd half - 8 megs
    http://people.ku.edu/~dgath/half2.avi

To view both of these, you need the divx 5 codec installed on your system.

Might not be up right away, it'll take about a half hour to upload them which I'm starting now. Check back a little later if they don't work yet.

3. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    What was up with the guys on the other side of the tunnel? Total morons if you ask me... I think they were yelling at us to chant more, which is kind of funny- rather than yelling at us he should be yelling for his team.

4. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Whoever they were, they need to figure out what they are there for, to make fun of the Cauldron or cheer for the Wizards. We tried to get them to come over and be part of the Cauldron, but they wanted no part of that. What gives.
    I'm all for someone getting excited about cheering, but don't knock the Cauldron for not cheering enough. I almost lost my voice before half-time.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't get a chance to see the game, my school doesn't offer FSW. From looking at both the Rapids and Wizards boards, it seems like we played poorly at the beginning and the Rapids had most of the possession. Also seems like it just wasn't the Rapids night at all, the almost own goal and the goal by Spencer that was called back. On the scramble in front of goal that almost lead to a goal in the first half, was that down on the Cauldron's end of the field? If so can anyone tell me how close it really was? Anyways seems like the second half we picked up the play. One last question, was Igor's bike a really good strike? And for tomorrow I'm gonna say something I thought I'd never say, Go LA. I get the jibblies just typing that.

6. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    The 1st half KC was shotting at the east (Cauldron ) goal. I was next to the tunnel in the Cauldron, and the 2nd shot looked like it went over the line. The 1st shot was close but not quite. When the replay was played, the crowd went nuts. There was not a goal-line angle view, but it sure looked good. The officials were not very good. They were inconsistent all night long(worse than usuall). The goal waved off for Colorado should have counted. It sure looked like incidental contact.
    Nick Garcia had a very good night. He was getting alot of steals and touches to disrupt the Rapids. Klein and Quill were tough as was God himself. The Rapids started tough, but just didn't seem to have the drive that the Wizards had. Chung and Spencer did not have good games at all for the Rapids.

It would seem that we get a chance to see another game at Arrowhead on Friday. I like LA's chances to get a win in San Jose, but never count Landon and the Earthquakes out.

7. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    I forgot about Igor. He had a very good night also. His score was a very nice kick. Great pass from Klein and a better finish from Igor. It was really good to see him get a lot of touches including the goal and assist.

8. KCSoccerSpot

KCSoccerSpot New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Harrisonville, MO
    Igor's bike was a thing of beauty. You could see it coming a mile away but he struck it at a great angle and it was directed down to where it looked like it hit one of their defenders on the way in. I can't wait to see the video on that one. What a game.

I'm about horse. Great job in the cauldron tonight. I didn't get to sit there since I brought my daughters and friends to the game but you all rocked.

9. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Looks like I don't have enough server space on my KU ftp account, anyone have 30 megs of free space to host these two files?

10. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was funny. After the game 2 Rapids fans were running their mouth to a bunch of Wiz fans. Umm that makes alot of sense.

11. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Speaking of which, it looked like a respectable group made the road trip from Colorado. Even though I couldn't make out a distinct River Rats contingent, kudos to the pack that make the long haul.

12. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    I was also surprised when that goal was waved off. From section 114, it sure looked like a Colorado goal. However, right before Diego was fouled/fell, he had the chance to clear the ball out of danger and let the defense regroup. Instead, he tried dribbling out of the six yard box, which led to the play where he was dispossessed. I haven't seen a replay, so I'll reserve any judgement as to whether it was a foul or incidental contact.

The MLS site says that 10,712 were in attendance. It looked more like 6,000, but that's what the cavernous confines of Arrowhead does to a crowd. No doubt the 36° temp at kickoff kept a lot of people at home. I bet it was close to 32° by the final whistle, and felt much colder due to the steady breeze that was blowing all match.

I, too, was puzzled by the couple-few guys on the other side of the tunnel who were yelling at the Cauldron, "you suck! get new songs!" Funny, I didn't hear any of them singing, except to mock what the Cauldron was singing, and none of them were making up their own songs. More disturbing though was that one of the guys came over to 114 looking for a fight. Someone at the back of the main pack in the Cauldron had said something and made a rude gesture to this individual (my 5-year-old son and I were sitting up high in 114 and had a good view of what was going on). So, the guy comes over and, in accented English, he's yelling, "Let's take it to the parking lot! C'mon homes! Let's go to the parking lot!" All I could do was shake my head and wonder why some people just can't seem to be civil. Then I had to answer my son's question, "daddy, why is that man being so angry?"

Overall, a great night for the Wizards. Go LA!

13. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    You guys in the Cauldron were rocking last night. I was upstairs in the founders suite. It is amazing how much louder everything sounds when you are up high. Kudos should go to the Rapids supporters too. Their drums were awesome as they had several and played quite a bit. Bruce Arena was in the house last night. He was in the founders suite for about the first 10 minutes of the game and then switched over to the press box to watch the game. Probably because too many people were coming up to talk to him and he couldn't watch the game. Great game last night. After I got home I was watching the tape delayed game on Fox Sports RM I think it was and the Rapids announcer felt that the goal that was disallowed by spencer should have been a goal but he also felt that the ball that was in by the Wizards but wasn't called in should have been a goal too and said it was a wash whether they were called or not.

14. wizardsrunner

wizardsrunner New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City, MO
    The Wiz go marching on...

True that...I was on the first row in 112, and a lot of people where I was were joining in with the Cauldron on most of the chants and songs.

Hopefully Tony was only a little banged up on the play just before the counter that led to goal #2. He went down awfully hard, and I'm sure that turf was pretty unforgiving, considering the temperatures. I figured if the injury were serious, Bo would have warmed up much faster than he did.

It was huge to get that goal just before the half...up to that point it had been frustrating, with the big scramble in front of the net yielding nothing (and I don't know if it should have, the Cauldron had a better view, so I defer to them). Igor's strike was a thing of beauty, and Klein's in the second half was awesome too. I honestly did not feel like we would be able to make a 1-0 lead stand (how many 1-goal leads have gotten away from us this year...20? :) ), so I felt a lot better after 2-0.

Garcia was clutch tonight...I got a great view of his work in the 2nd half, and he really quieted down Colorado's right side.

A big win and a great night, despite the fact that Chris Klein made me feel old after the game by calling me "sir" after I shook his hand and congratulated him. Another 2 months, and you'll be 28 too! :D

15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BIG WIN for the Wizards last night. My first trip to the Cauldron. My other trips this year were with others who weren't quite such soccer fanatics. I did bring 3 people both times.

IGOR's goal was great - a delicate touch that Klein would have pushed in if it were a little short. The replay of the no call goal looked close, but was the wrong angle to determine if the ball was all the way over the line. The AR next to the cauldron definitely a busy night; it was his call to make, no idea if he saw it or not. The goal called back by the Rapids was definitely a foul on the Rapids. The attacker definitely went through Garcia in playing the ball back into the middle. I knew it was a fouled, and was not certain Valenzuela was going to call it. He took his time, but was emphatic when he did.

16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on a well-earned victory last night. I hope my side can make it through and meet yours in KC next week. Hats off to the hardy fans who braved the weather, and were rewarded by a quality goal from Igor. I think LA@KC would be a tremendously entertaining game and very even. BTW: You should all be rooting for us tonight so KC does not have to be away to Slum Jose.

17. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Those guys suffered from a combo of inebriation and and inferiority complex. To be fair that guy who came down looking for a fight, there were about 2 or 3 kids sitting right behind me who were just being jacka$$es all night. First they kept complaining about the drumming, as if we hired someone to drum. It went on so long I just said, "Will you quit bi#$%ing about the drumming. Who cares?" Then they start bagging on KU for no apparent reason. I said I really don't care right now, but that didn't shut them up. They then decided to try to start something with the people across the tunnel, thus prompting the guy to come to 114 and want to fight. Someone sitting next to them made a good point in saying "If you want a fight, just meet them in the concourse. They obviously want to fight, and you keep talking about it so have it." They were much less of a bother the second half, luckily.

Other than that, it was good to know that the Cauldron was loud and non-jacka$$es were making noise as well. Its hard to tell sometimes, especially since I yelled for about 6 straight hours yesterday. Too bad we couldn't get a bigger "Can you hear the Rapids sing?" going.

To the game, Igor provides a lot out there. Colorado looked to shut down Preki, and Igor really punished them. I think that playing as an attacking midfielder really allows him to show all of his skills, and he definitely did last night. Great overhead kick (not quite a true bike) and hopefully they don't change it to an own goal as that was going in regardless of who touched it. A nice layoff to Klein for the insurance goal.

Klein was excellent as well. He's really looking more comfortable playing centrally (he looked a little more withdrawn this game than normal as well). He did a good job defensively when he had to as well as getting forward. Plus, you know its your night when Klein scores with his left. Maybe Klein deserves another look with the national team.

On the scramble in the first half, I didn't think that the whole of the ball crossed the whole of the line. It looked like the right call, but it doesn't help to complain in hopes of a makeup call that you don't really deserve. ;)

Spencer was lucky he wasn't called for a foul on Talley right before the disallowed goal. I have trouble believing John Spencer is going to legally win a header over Carey Talley like that. That referee was terrible for both teams all night.

18. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Don't worry we are.

Ughhh, I have to take a shower now. ;)

19. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Ugh

Shower? Try chemical disinfectant....

20. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    That list is long and permanent...

GO TIGERS!!!

21. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Glad you liked it.

Couldn't come up with a "We need a Russian linesman" song until today though :D

22. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    Awesome game, great result.

Why are you guys (cauldron) letting a couple of *#*#*#*# get to you. Some people are just arceholes. If you let it affect your night they have accomplished their goal. Nice job during the game though, you were very noticeable.

The best game for Wolde as a wizard. He was all over the field and played some nice d. He definitely helped Igor find space.

Guti was stellar as well as the rest of our d. Though he continues to make that one mistake that leads to a goal. Luckily it was waived off.

I can’t stand Peckerman.

Will Quill every play a game without getting injured.

I’ll be rooting for LA, unfortunately my liver will be rooting for San Jose.

23. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the exception of the disallowed goal sequence, I thought the backline did a pretty good job of cleaning up in front of Tony last night. Not many second chance shot on goal that I recall.

I'm already looking forward to next Friday night. C'mon you Gals!

24. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I thought the defense played well and with the exception of Talley's near own goal I was never really worried about Colorado scoring. A few times somebody would have the ball with their back to goal in the Wizards box and the defense would swarm and hack it clear even Wolde was tracking back and playing defense. The win definately made the 9 hour road trip back to Indianapolis a lot easier to take.

25. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    From a Rapids fan:

Congratulations on the win, your team deserved it without question. Now go embarras SJ, please.

You can take it all.

ps. Thanks for the new coach, hopefully.