KC/SJ 7/27/02 In-game/Postgame [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Jul 27, 2002.

1. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well done to KC. But we were abyismal. The last games couple of games we lost we didn't deserve too..this one I have no complaints...it was like their bodies flew to KC and the their spirits to the moon...at least the real nightmare is outta the way (hopefully) and we can get it back on track, especially on the road.

-Richard

2. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So, what did DoNo do today?!

MOTM: KC Midfielder Manny Lagos

Frankie wasted all of his subs and we had jack squat in the last 10 minutes..

'Goose should have started or Manny sat and Russel should have started with DoNo up front, DeRo comes in late, instead of being taken off early :mad:

Thats what you get when you dont have Roner :mad:

3. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dreadful. Awful. Horrible. The players were either stupid (Russell, Conrad), lazy (Corrales) or forgot how to play (Donovan, Barrett, Ibsen). We looked tired and unwilling to put in the effort. Agoos and Robinson played pretty well and Graziani worked hard. That's about all there was favorable to stay. Russell is not fit and should not be playing. He needs his speed... without it he hurts us like he did tonight. Maybe it's a blessing Conrad has to sit on yellows. Corrales made a fool of himself repeatedly throwing his limbs into the air because he was unwilling to run. That's the worse game I've seen them play all year. Junk.

-KMJvet

4. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? ...... I think we just found a way to play worse than they did.

-KMJvet

5. EQuakes No1

EQuakes No1 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    San Jose
    Agreed.

6. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL
    Horrible game! After seeing the last two Quakes' wins I expected a lot more. The guys played unenthusiastic and lethargic during the entire game. I think everyone had their boots on the wrong feet and couldn't put more than two passes together. Yuck! I wan't sure which team Ibsen and Lagos were playing for. Maybe they were confused because KC was wearing blue or maybe they just plain felt sorry them. Not sure which. Even LD and Ekelund were on the same page.

The goal from Robinson was the highlight for the entire team. The All Star break is coming at a great time. Maybe after a couple of weeks we can getting our entire starting XI on the field. I feel for the next team coming to Fort Yallop, our boys will be playing with a vengeance to make up for this one.

Go Quakes!

7. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sucked hard.

The defense did well when KC just booted it down, or had isolated plays. When KC possessed the ball and worked, they broke down any organization the Quakes had in the back. Crap. Without a true leader like Agoos or Dayak back there, weaknesses crop up in our defense. Robinson had a good individual effort. Corralles was the only player that could get the ball out of the back and not lose it to the opposing team, unless Mulrooney or Ekelund was right there to take the ball up. Conrad is beginning to piss me off with his cards and lack of focus/intensity.

Earth to Donovan, where are you?

The midfield was crap. The team as a whole didn't play cohesively. Nobody was supporting/covering for each other. No outlet passes for players. Everyone was pretty much left to fend for themselves. Running off the ball not there. The same way for the defensive effort. There wasn't forward thinking on the Quakes part. Nobody was really looking to see what they were going to do with the ball.

Agoos calmed things down a bit, but it was calm crap. Ugly, ugly play even with Goose inserted.

---

KC deserved that win. Their defensive and midfield lines took it to the Quakes with defensive pressure and possession. Their possession was much better than ours, although we can play a better game than what they showed.

---

Ibsen doesn't deserve the blame for the 2nd goal. KC should have been up 4 or 5 goals. Cannon should have done better. Blaming it on Ibsen isn't fair. He was just unlucky to be the one for KCs second goal.

8. QuakeFan Z

QuakeFan Z New Member

Jul 14, 2002
    Monte Sereno, CA

Exactly what I was thinking!!

9. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL
    I can't agree more! Where has boy wonder gone? He was a complete non factor and the few touches he had were pretty pathetic. 3 games in one week was too tough for them to take. The Quakes were lucky to lose by only one goal, it should have been at least 4-1.

10. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    OK, it's all clear now, we had the sirens go off but the tornado was north of us and then headed to Battle Creek, now headed toward Marshall. We did lose power so I was glad I shut down when I did, but was quite sad to see that the Quakes did lose while we were away. Sorry to hear that most of the team played like crap.

Next week.

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    God, that was ugly! We made KC look like ManU out on the pitch by playing so poorly. Thank God it's over, time to heal and regroup and kick some ass after the all-star break. Oh, and wasn't that terrific soccer weather out there today:rolleyes:, 100 degrees and 50% humidity. No excuses though, we played like shite and KC took advantage of it.

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, you're talking about the weather. I thought you were talking about the Quakes.
    Weather: Could've been worse but everything's OK (glad to hear it, by the way)
    Quakes: Could've been worse (on the scoreboard, I mean) but everything's OK (we're still well out in first)

13. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as an aside, I seem to be disliking KC's Garcia more each time I see him play. For whatever reason, he seems like an understudy to Diego Serna, except being a defensive player. He may be much better behaved off the field; but on the field I find them similarly distasteful.

-KMJvet

14. mojo10

mojo10 Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Rocky Mtn Hi CO.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well done to your Quakes. No, no, not on the pitch, but off of it.
    You know, and they know that they played a crap game tonight. But, I had a chance to talk to a few of your boys afterwards, and you should be proud of them even in defeat.

I really liked the way they all took this loss in stride. Very professional squad you have out there.

Frankie, Landon, Cannon, etc. were all very gracious in defeat. They lost with class, and had nothing but good things to say for KC. Other than being plain worn-out, there were no excuses made, and they know it was just one of those days.

Cannon admitted fault on the second goal, but knows they are still in the drivers seat for home-field through the playoffs, so won't let this get to him too much.

15. LizAFC

LizAFC New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    San Jose
    Damn, we sucked.

Nothing more I can say, really.

16. LucciAficionado

LucciAficionado New Member

May 5, 2002
    Hayward
    This game sucked. I didn't even finish watching the last couple of minutes. I have noticed that everytime Manny gets the ball, whether it be home or away, he always slows down the pace of the game. I still think he is a great guy but maybe someone else should start and bring him in later.

Poor Jimmy. He didn't deserve that yellow. It should have only been a foul w/o the yellow. Does this mean he won't be able to play the game vs. LA (open cup) or the next MLS game? How much does a player get fined for a yellow? He keeps loosing money. Poor Jimmy.

Poor Joe. He looked like he was trying so hard. When that type of thing happens he thinks he lets the fans down so much. WE STILL LOVE HIM!!!! I think people should reassure him of that next home game.

How is it that we can beat Chicago, and not KC? The wheather is a major factor but still not enough to blame the whole lost on the 95 degree wheather. The team looked so bad we deserved the loss based on the performance, but we should have won based on the fact that we are such a better team than KC. But today it didn't look like that.

Broccoli
    Dolores

17. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    All I can assume is that our team is still working their way through security at the airport on their way to KC because that sure didn't look like them out there tonight. Tough loss. I'm happy for Eddie that he got his first. I hope his leg is O.K, because I firmly believe he should be starting at right fullback now.

The back line is so unorganized when Agoos isn't in there. It seems when Agoos or Dayak are not in the back line, Cannon feels he has to come off of his line earlier and these sort of weak-a$$ goals find there way into our net. Joe says the second was his fault but from the close-ups on TV, he looked gassed from the heat and the lack of support he was getting. I'm not surprised he couldn't get out fast and smother that one.

A bitter pill, this....KC played in the same heat we did and they controlled the ball, dictated play--credit them for a fine job. Vacation will do us good. It's killing me how we can be INVINCIBLE at home and routinely play horrible on the road. Is our team built for only a small field and can't handle the bigger pitch? (Or am I seriously underestimating the power we Quakes fans have to influence the outcome of games? Should we take it on the road, too?)

Come Aug. 7th and after, I pray for:

A healthy Dayak
    A rejuvenated, rested Donovan
    A back line of Robinson, Dayak, Agoos, Barrett
    Better possession/play on the road

Yes, the Quakes are still firmly in control of the league but I hate these periodic "stinkers" that make bottom-feeders look good. I'm hoping for a 6-1 finish of the remaining MLS schedule for the Quakes.

Now, excuse me while I find a beer or something to get this awful taste out of my mouth.

18. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In the midfield. That's the problem. With the Quakes, Donovan does not play as well at midfield. He needs to be up front with Graz. Use D-Ro as the supersub. When the heck did D-Ro prove he should be the started at forward alongside Graz when we have a perfectly healthy Lando?!!!! D-Ro should not be started at the expense of Lando. This frustrates me sooooo much!!! :mad:

19. mkb3

mkb3 Member

Jul 11, 2000
    San Francisco
    Random Thoughts

Exactly...where is Donovan? He looks downright depressed out there. Is the crazy WC and media frenzy finally catching up to him and he's finally tired? Whatever it is, he is not the same player that he was a few weeks ago.

What did Robinson do to his leg?

Am I the only one who loves Manny but still thinks this should be his last season starting? He just looks old out there and this is coming from a huge Manny fan.

I actually think KC has a pretty quality side. They knock the ball around nicely with lots of possession, kind of like the Quakes. Klein is a fine winger. Meola is solid. Armstrong really impressed out there today. He looks to be coming into his own with some great individual moves and some screamer shots. And the team looks like they work really nicely for each other.

But Garcia is such a tired act. There was no replay, but the one foul where supposed Donovan clipped his heel running him down?...I bet he didn't even touch Garcia. Garcia just has no class whatsoever and is embarrassing to the league.

Speaking of embarrassing, did anyone see Roy Lassiter today for DC? What the hell is that guy doing in the league. Very weak stuff.

On the other hand, Quintenilla looks very impressive and full of potential.

20. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    Yeah, I guess you could say it that way too. :D

I have to drive out to where the possible tornado damage may have been today...I hope none of our camp buildings were damaged by the wind (especially my cabin). The worst part of the storm outside of the possible rotation went right over the camp I'm working at this summer, and we have 70 kids coming in today. I hope the ranger didn't have to work too hard last night and this morning.

Chin up, Quakes fans. Even the best of teams has a bad game during their season. It sounds like the players knew they had a bad night and took responsibility for it. That's maturity, folks, and you know that during the next week or so they'll work to correct those mistakes. I hope Yallop takes a good hard look at what he did with the lineup last night and makes changes as well--that might actually help. The long rest for most of the players (excepting LD, Goose, the MLS all-star picks and the coaching staff) may allow for some reflection and some work.

I don't know if I'll get to see the All-Star Game live, it's the last week of camp and we spend Saturday cleaning--and for me, doing inventory on camp store stock. St. Patrick will tape it for me, I'm sure. I hope it's a good and entertaining game.

21. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Damn. Straight. Damn straight. Straight up, too.

Heck, if we could trade him for midfield or backline help right now, I'd be all for it.

????

If I said "two is greater than one," you'd probably say "No, one is less than two." :D

So, I watched the match again...(ohhhhhh, the pain...)

There were several times KC strung together nice runs, and they got some chances strictly of their own doing by nice plays, not because our fullbacks rolled over for them. Sure, on their goals, they beat Barrett then Ibsen, but made nice plays to set up those chances first. Also, on the handful of times they hit the posts or missed over the bar point-blank, it was often because of good work on their part.

It probably <i>does</i> take us having a bad game for KC to play better than us, but give them their due, they deserved the win.

Three teams scare me, and they're not necessarily the three teams directly on our heels in the standings. I do not understand why KC, C-Bus and LA seem to have our number, but they do. Games are too close for comfort, and we're unconvincing against these sides on the road. Please, playoff gods, help us avoid these teams!

22. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say they didn't deserve to win. I said they didn't play particularly well. The Quakes did not, in this case, get beaten due to a quality performance by the other squad. I will grant them that they had just enough team play--possession play to pull the win off. Someone said earlier that the Quakes made KC look like ManU.... LOL.... the Quakes wearing Sumo soccer suits couldn't make KC look like ManU.
    Who on their team even had a performance worthy of MOTM? Meola for managing not to fall asleep? Mike Burns for being able to out run Russell? Armstrong because John Schrader seems to have a thing for him? Preki and Klein are good players, but had lackluster performances yesterday. Perhaps Talley or Simutenov (or however it's spelled).... workmanlike, but nothing eye-catching. They played better than we did, but their performance was not one of their better games either-- dull but on that night, sufficient.

-KMJvet

23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Only two Quakes played up to the level they were capable of. Eddie Robinson (before he got hurt) and Richard Mulrooney came to play. The rest of the team decided it was too hot and left their focus in SJ.

I think it was a mistake to take out DeRosario at half. He was the most effective forward because he was willing to work into space all over the field. Yeah, it's frustrating to watch him dribble into 3 defenders and lose the ball. It's frustrating to watch him put his head down and not see the runs. It's frustrating to watch him release the pass at the wrong time. On the other hand, no one we have up front tears open a defense like he does. You have to run all game and all over the field to track him. He's the one that opens up space for Graziani and Donovan. Notice how tightly Graz and Landon were marked in the second half? Neither one worked hard enough off the ball to open up space for the other. They had to "do it themselves". Wasn't effective at all.....

KC fans will tell you that DeWayne was the only attacker that stretched the defense. We didn't make very many runs off the ball and it showed. We allowed KC to keep the shape they wanted and that allowed them to possess the ball and force us to chase.

We looked the most dangerous when we dribbled past the midfield and broke into the defense. Ekelund, Corrales and Mulrooney had some nice sequences where they slipped through the mid and broke in on goal in the first half. Why didn't we do this in the second half? Sure, it's risky, but you have to take a chance now and then.

Our first touch was as bad as I've ever seen it under Yallop. We weren't hungry enough to suffer. It showed.

24. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Re: Random Thoughts

They actually showed a replay in the stadium twice. From both angles, the clip was obvious. I don't know about the intent; it looked like Donovan was just running hard onto the ball and got tangled.

Side note: I think everyone misunderstands Nick Garcia. The guy is a fantastic defender, better than anyone gives him credit for. Better than Barrett and Bocanegra. He really frustrates his marks, and that, coupled with the fact that he's not a terribly big guy means that he draws way more fouls than 3/4 of the guys out on the pitch.

Graz. should have been sent off, he was playing like the little b!tch he is all night long, and Donovan should have seen yellow on that shove to Nick Garcia on a run towards the end of the game (speaking of Serna, did you see Donovan grab for his eye once he knocked Garcia down?)

25. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    You have no clue about Garcia KMJvet.

Graz was all over his back all night and should have been given a second yellow for mauling him. Since Garcia saw that he didnt get a yellow, he shot his mouth off and got himself one.

I like how you assume since you saw no replay that Garcia dove when LD hit him from behind. they showed the replay in the stadium, he hit Garcia. Every time you dont get to see a replay do you just assume YOUR team's player did no wrong? Give me a break.

Garcia is no Serna. Just an example of Garcia's class: after almost every game he goes around the base of the stadium and gives autographs. he doesnt turn one person away. he'll be there so long they are starting to turn the stadium lights off, but he doesnt leave until everyone that wants an autograph is gone. You show your great lack of knowledge on Garcia by your statement.

PS-I wont agrue that SJ is the best team in the league. What I dont like about any fan is that their team must play a terrible game to lose. SJ didnt play great last night, but by no means did they just lay down and give up. KC straight outplayed them.