KC Moving to Eastern Conference

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by txaggie93, Nov 16, 2004.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, come on. Any additional travel costs are marginal, at best.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's surprising is that with all the former NFL people running around at MLS, it apparently hasn't occurred to anyone that not many people cared too much about the NFL's screwed-up geography.

3. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFL TV deal just renewed only the Fox and CBS part at $8 billion.
    And they took some game away to do a Thursday night package.
    Hence no one gives a crap about travel costs.

In MLS it does matter. Just ask Bobby Hammond he can lay out the numbers for you.

It's also one of the reasons why baseball never went to a balanced schedule...
    And the rangers don't get a better TV deal than they do becasue of all the late night west coast games. It's why they wanted to be in teh AL central.
    (They stayed west for the guarentee of a Astros interleague game each year)

4. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think not. Like Buzz said, follow up with Bobby if you doubt me.

Let me put it this way - I was shocked when I was working for the Toros at how much the travel expenses were. And when you have little if any revenue to work with, that is a problem.

MLS v. USISL? While the budget might be bigger, so are the costs. MLS players aren't going to ride for 12 hours in a 15-person van to play Friday/Sunday. And traveling 28 instead of 16? That sure as hell is going to be more expensive.

And to add to what Buzz said - another thing is that each of the teams (or the NFL collectively - I'm not sure which) has a travel sponsor. Seen one of those for MLS? Didn't think so.

So a few games might not mean that much on the surface, but you're probably talking a decent chunck of change per game.

5. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    KC in the east means we must make the road trip up there as they will be the closest away team this year(hopefully the last year without a Texas derby)

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First we don't get to play y'all to open the season and now this. :(

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying that Frank DuRoss will buy the Wizards from Uncle Lamar?

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wrong.

The American League had a balanced schedule for nearly 20 years.

13 games against each team in your division (13*6)
    12 games against each team in the other division (12*7)

9. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Players in all sports have said it is hard to cross so many time zones from West Coast to East Coast and back or visa versa.

10. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American League West has only 4 teams.
    So (13*6) is certainly not right.

unless you mean in the past prior to the Wild card era.

And the NBA and NHL don't play balanced schedules. Neither does the NFL.

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I am not saying that.

12. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD offically requested Chicago for the 05 home opener...
    so I don't know why you say you aren't playing FCD.

13. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he wanted it for the season opener. Since I got the impression that GE requested C for the ULHOWA opener, I think that you're both right.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You said "never" - not "in the last ten years"

15. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotcha... misunderstood.

16. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Is that similar to "mastercard versa"?

17. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping for Dallas to move to the East and for us to open the season against each other on ABC. :-/

I'll be there for the first game against us regardless ^_^

18. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then how would the Wizards end up in Rochseter when the Rhinos are ones building a stadium using some public money? Would Hunt buy the Rhinos then and merge them with the Wiz? Because no team is going to Rochester without the Rhinos being involved some way.

19. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I've heard that Rhino wiz is pretty lucritive on the black market.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relatively speaking, the difference between this proposed alignment and the one that we think that they're going to adopt IS marginal.

The difference for Eastern Conference teams is that instead of making two trips apiece to Chicago and Kansas City and one trip apiece to Denver and Salt Lake, they'd be making two trips apiece to Denver and Salt Lake and one trip apiece to Chicago and Kansas City. Either way, you're paying for six trips.

So the cost difference per person over an entire season would be...

(2S + 2D + K + C) - (S + D + 2K + 2C) = 2S + 2D + K + C - S - D - 2K - 2C = S + D - K - C

...where S = the unrestricted coach fare to Salt Lake, D = the unrestricted coach fare to Denver, K = the unrestricted coach fare to Kansas City, and C = the unrestricted coach fare to Chicago.

To put it in to real money terms, this weekend on American Airlines, the unrestricted coach fares from Boston are $1327.90 to Salt Lake, $2371.40 to Denver, $1704.70 to Chicago O'Hare, and $596.36 to Kansas City. (As an aside, those numbers by themselves should tell you by themselves that travel expense has little to do with distance.)

Plug those number into that equation, and you get $1398.24 per person over the entire season. Multiply that by the 20 people that are on most road trips and you get an increase of $27964.80 over the course of an entire season for the Revolution.

OK, I'll grant you that that's $28,000 that they would otherwise not have to spend, but they're just one team. Other teams might see lower expenses in this realignment. For example, by making two more trips to LA, one more trip apiece to San Jose and Dallas, and one fewer trip apiece to DC, Columbus, New England, and the Metros, Chicago would save $601 per person over the course of an entire season, or about $12,000, given a 20-man traveling party. Kansas City would also save on travel expenses in this alignment.

To get an accurate measurement of the travel costs involved, you'd have to run the numbers for all 12 teams (really, just 11, since the Galaxy and Chivas USA would more or less have the same travel expenses). But I'm guessing that league-wide, the difference in travel expenses in this alignment is not substantial.

I'll leave the exercise to the reader, but to make life easier on you, here are the four groups of teams to consider:

Group A (Kansas City and Chicago) - Makes two more trips to LA, one more trip apiece to San Jose and Dallas, and one fewer trip apiece to DC, New England, Columbus, and the Metros

Group B (Galaxy, Chivas, San Jose, and Dallas) - Makes one more trip apiece to Kansas City and Chicago and one fewer trip apiece to Salt Lake and Colorado

Group C (Salt Lake and Colorado) - Makes one more trip apiece to DC, New England, Columbus, and the Metros, two fewer trips to LA, and one fewer trip apiece to San Jose and Dallas

Group D (DC, New England, Columbus, Metros) - Makes one more trip apiece to Salt Lake and Colorado and one fewer trip apiece to Kansas City and Chicago.

We already know that Group A is making out better. My impression is that Group B will make out better than Group D, since unrestricted fares to Kansas City are relatively cheap.

21. GoldFinger

GoldFinger New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Another great analysis by Dustin albeit long.

Another issue related to playing in different time zones is tv and radio ratings. Even though MLS barely registers on the chart, the difference between playing a game at 7:30 versus 9:30 is significant for that business. I recall this being an issue with the Stars and the Rangers both being aligned in the western most divisions.

22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we can solve this by getting 16 teams and going straight table :D

(dodges tomatoes)

23. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, that is probably times at least 24 people, not 20. With the reserve teams, they can't make any players play two 90 minutes games in two days.

And yeah, $35,000 is another player, or two front office staff people (if they are on commission), or a good bit of advertizing.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually not too relevant, since the teams that would be saving money in this alignment would be saving proportionally more money as well.

Unless, of course, you want to argue that the Revolution (for the sake of example) have more people travelling than the Fire or Wizards.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think that Sunil flies free as long as he sits in Adin Brown's lap.