KC @ Morelia pregame [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Aug 5, 2002.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Discuss....

Did Igor get to go, I heard he had passport trouble. Can we win down there? Will we get screwed again by Mexican officials? If so, when are we going to join in the "sportsmanship" and let me officiate the return leg? I said it after the Santos game, get me, Matt, Spoon and Freddy out there to ref. I bet the Wizards would win. ;)

I hope they can come home in good position to move on.

PS-Jesus, someone inform me if I'm gonna be a Mod. :) I show up to work, and waalaa, my names at the top of the boards. Weird...

2. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way we've played the last couple of games, I think we should be able to beat Morelia. However, I'm not sure if we'll be able to beat Morelia + crap referees + whatever else might happen.

A win would be awesome, but I don't exactly expect that to happen... Hopefully we can keep it close and then put them away during the home leg.

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    My dad just called me from the airport. He is flying with the Wizards from KC to Chicago. They are going from there to Mexico. He wanted to know which ones I knew, pretty cool.

An odd source for an update on the team.

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Was Igor on the plane?

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    well, they werent actually on the plane yet, they were getting ready to board.

I asked my dad about Igor, but you gotta realize hes not a big soccer fan. He recognized Danger Bob and Tony.

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tell him to listen for the Russian accent :D

7. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does spanish sound like w/ a russian accent?

8. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I have soccer practice tonight and the two guys I know who said Igor was having problems will be there...ill ask and post it here when I get back

9. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAMANOS LOS WIZARDS!

This match and the return leg may be the only time you will hear me say the "subject". :)

Any word on internet broadcast? Telemundo, FSW, etc really dropped the ball. They could have had good ratings for TV coverage for this tourney, imho.

10. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    so that is how this rumor got started? From a thirteen year-old girl who has soccer practice with some guys. Wow are we gulliable.

Who knows, they may be a ball boy in the know.

11. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    hey, is there going to be any chat rooms going for the match

whether here on bigsoccer, or someone hosting one on AOL Instant Messenger???

good luck wiz, carry the mls torch proudly

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I doubt there will be much chat as many of us will be at work. If you're lucky enough to have a computer at work with internet (yippie, i do!!) we get the stat tracker from www.mlsnet.com

13. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just cruel scheduling, isn't it? They are even in the same time zone as us! (central).

14. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Yes, that made me make a double take when I first read the time for this match. Do Mexicans not work or what? Why the heck would this game be at 3:00 PM local time. Do they think that they are going to get us out in the sun and use that as an advantage? If so, maybe they should check the weather in KC, just as hot as anywhere else.

15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to Wizards tonight. Odds of your boys getting "jobbed" again by the officials: 70:30.

16. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So aparently the ideas we gave CJ aren't going to happen. Which really sucks becuase his excusses were crap. So here to the Wiz and hopefully we will not get hosed. 1-1 draw would be nice.

17. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What ideas did he not follow up on? Keep in mind I didn't hear every suggestion since I was making wings.

The game will be on mlsnet, and hopefully it does a decent job. I'm guessing they didn't do the BS thing because not everyone is on it. And Mexican matches are apparently often played in the afternoon. 3:00 ain't a good time, but at least they're not making an exception.

18. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We gave the suggestion to have someone come on Bigsoccer and to basicly a report every time something happens. He didn't know if it was allowed or not. I told him it was not problem, but he still was not convinced that it was ok to do. But now that I have read the whole spew about the match tracker I must eat some crow. I have never been a fan of match tracker but it is better than nothing.

19. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I dont see why I get crap from everybody here...Im a wizards fan just like the rest of you and I do my part to promote the game and get asses in the seats.

That being said...their not ball boys. They actually do work for the wizards. Mike Rodriguez and Raul Cobos, both Account Executives. If you dont believe me (and why I have to justify myself, I dont know) but you can look in the media guide.

20. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, the game is tomorrow. You're a day ahead of yourself, Cadaver.

21. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not on weekdays, usually.

Hmm, think baseball. Weekday afternoon matches. I wonder if it's a lighting issue. . . . ???

22. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Good, you are starting to learn to give some resources. Stating that you know some guys at soccer practice doesn't lead to much credability.

23. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't take any crap from anybody. Seriously, you are a Wizards fan just like the rest of us. Despite what Dakotajoe thinks, we are all pretty varied in our age groups. Just because you're younger than most doesn't mean your posts have any less merit.

That being said, reread Matt's post. I don't think it was meant to be an attack. I think it was more of an observation on how most of us seized on the idea of Igor not being able to enter Mexico. This is due to our paranoia fostered by past events south of the border.

Thanks for doing your part to promote the game.

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Morelia whacked _criminy, forgot _ veracruz maybe this weekend. after one week, they're in first place in the fourth division of the first league of the championship. No real understanding of the M-league from me, and it's early, so they won't be in mid-season form, but they seem to be playing quite well. I saw all this on the ap wire this afternoon, and now I've fogotten the details, but I think they won 4-0. On the upside, they're playing one of the big dogs this weekend, so maybe the 3 p.m. start is to provide extra rest, and that would mean they're looking past this game.

25. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Actually the score was 4-3. The bright side is that the Veracruz Redsharks are not a good team. They were promoted from Mexi 1a last year and were low-middle table in the league and maybe fourth of 5 in their Group, last tournament. (Mexico has two round-robins every year followed by playoffs, one from now to Christmas and the other from January to spring.)

One more piece of insight since I'm typing. In the playoffs last tournament the final was actually the #7 and #8 seeds. America was the #7 seed. Morelia was the #6 and was bounced 4-1 on aggregate in the first round by Pumas.